Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

which adapter comes with 5-15 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. That's ridiculous, it probably cost them few $ to make. Should be standard, like it was in 2019.

IDK, it seems to me that the customer should be able to decide which one they want for a nominal fee. Not everyone needs a 14-50. Lots of us need 14-30 or even 5-20 instead.

And basically everyone in the US will use a 5-15 from time to time.

Personally I have no use for anything except the standard 120v power cord and the adapter to charge from non tesla stations which both came with the Y. Both are stored in the car for emergency use if required. Ideally a wall connector is the ticket when at home IMHO. Not only is it convenient but since it is connected to wifi, charging parameters can be modified if something more efficient or a different algorithm for battery charging parameter longevity comes up.

Reactions: jsight
Personally I have no use for anything except the standard 120v power cord and the adapter to charge from non tesla stations which both came with the Y. Both are stored in the car for emergency use if required. Ideally a wall connector is the ticket when at home IMHO. Not only is it convenient but since it is connected to wifi, charging parameters can be modified if something more efficient or a different algorithm for battery charging parameter longevity comes up.

Guessing you live in a pretty populated area with lots of Chargers... Alaska just isn't there quite yet. So 14-50, 5-50, TT-30 are also important. But that's my problem not everyone elses.

Guessing you live in a pretty populated area with lots of Chargers... Alaska just isn't there quite yet. So 14-50, 5-50, TT-30 are also important. But that's my problem not everyone elses.

Yes there is a good population however the superchargers are far and few between around here. I charge at home and at the office having only used a supercharger 2x so far. Do not understand where one can plug in all those adapters you mention as honestly I know nobody that would have anything like that where I could plug into unless they have an EV at home. Never seen a standard garage with a 220v plug in it. Apart from stove and dryer outlet there is nothing I can think of. Only place I could see where higher voltage/current is available would be camp grounds and marinas then again you just can't pull in there to charge either. Please enlighten me on where those adapters get used apart if one wants to install this outlet type in their own garage to charge from.

Personally if I had to go on a very long trip I would fly and rent a car or take the ICE car unless the route had plenty of superchargers along the way. They will eventually come but right now unless you live in a major US city, or are travelling a popular interstate, it is not all that great.

Yes there is a good population however the superchargers are far and few between around here. I charge at home and at the office having only used a supercharger 2x so far. Do not understand where one can plug in all those adapters you mention as honestly I know nobody that would have anything like that where I could plug into unless they have an EV at home. Never seen a standard garage with a 220v plug in it. Apart from stove and dryer outlet there is nothing I can think of. Only place I could see where higher voltage/current is available would be camp grounds and marinas then again you just can't pull in there to charge either. Please enlighten me on where those adapters get used apart if one wants to install this outlet type in their own garage to charge from.

Personally if I had to go on a very long trip I would fly and rent a car or take the ICE car unless the route had plenty of superchargers along the way. They will eventually come but right now unless you live in a major US city, or are travelling a popular interstate, it is not all that great.

go to plugshare and look around - they are out there. The hospitals here have 14-50 EV outlets and some gas stations do too - in my Alaska Tesla group they found out that the Tesoro Station that's closed for the winter - their 14-50 plug was still hot. BTW, there are all labeled for EV use. Plus - RV parks! tt-30 or 50 amp service. The people that drive from the L48 to Alaska (and through Canada) use those adapters.

I agree, until things get better in the EV charging world, I won't be getting rid of all my ICE vehicles. I also fly to places a lot (well, used to, lately that's on hold for a lot of reasons).

Also, I see the supercharger network is expanding in Canada this year too... one day....

They also come (or at least *came*, past tense, 6 months ago) with a J1772 adapter... something I did not realize until I'd already ordered one online, so it ended up costing me a modest return shipping fee to get a refund. I've only ended up using it once so far in my first 6 months of ownership, but as a first-time EV owner I just wanted to make sure I was prepared to be able to get a charge any way I needed it...

Looked up plugshare and sure enough lots of places around me however they all had the J-1772 connector which is the adapter that comes with our Y. Obviously these adapters and their use depends really on where you are located and what is around you. Without question, the J-1772 is the norm for everyone except Tesla.

Regardless, charging at one of these is slow going to say the least and not an option for me unless I was in trouble. No way am I going to sit for hours to get some juice back into my car. Supercharger is the way to go while travelling or if one needs to overnight, just make sure they have charging facilities and hope they are not all taken when one arrives. Worst case scenario an extension cord from the hotel window on 120v.

Reactions: jsight

I live in a populated area with lots of chargers but I got the whole adapter kit and when I had my Volt, I made an adapter to complete the set I had for a aftermarket portable that let me charge anywhere (thanks Mom).

Reactions: Daks
Without question, the J-1772 is the norm for everyone except Tesla.
Not exactly. CHAdeMO has been around a while and plenty of those chargers are around too. CCS chargers will rapidly replace both of those. Personally I wish there was a low cost US version of the CCS adapter. CCS fast charging would be a great supplement to super chargers when planning road trips. CHADeMO would too but I don't want to spend that much or haul that massive adapter around (or even keep it in storage until I do go on a road trip where it might be needed.)

disagree

I didn't see any reason to buy anything but the accessory plug for the mobile. $35 (well $70 as I bought the $35 plastic hook too) vs $500? I frankly don't think a 115V charge is any piece of mind. If I ever start taking so many trips, I'll buy a second mobile and still save a couple hundred. In the meantime the one in the garage can charge from pretty much empty to full overnight. I do use TeslaFi to set/reset the charge level on schedule.

I suppose if you have multiple Teslas, the load/charging balancing might be useful.

Not exactly. CHAdeMO has been around a while and plenty of those chargers are around too. CCS chargers will rapidly replace both of those. Personally I wish there was a low cost US version of the CCS adapter. CCS fast charging would be a great supplement to super chargers when planning road trips. CHADeMO would too but I don't want to spend that much or haul that massive adapter around (or even keep it in storage until I do go on a road trip where it might be needed.)

You may be right however there is a reason Tesla supplied the J-1772 ten again thing change (Beta Max vs VHS). I do know when we built the new shop summer of 2019, construction rules say you must install an EV charger. The electricians automatically installed the FLO J-1722 as this is the norm at least in my area. They seem to be right as I used the adapter Tesla supplied to charge from this at work no problem. I no longer use it as I did have them install a Tesla wall connector after the purchase of the Y.

New the the scene, I did a little research on the different styles. Looks like the Model 3 in Europe uses the CCS standard. Only thing I do not like about it is the size, huge in comparison to the small, sleek Tesla charger. What is CCS charging?

Yes there is a good population however the superchargers are far and few between around here. I charge at home and at the office having only used a supercharger 2x so far. Do not understand where one can plug in all those adapters you mention as honestly I know nobody that would have anything like that where I could plug into unless they have an EV at home. Never seen a standard garage with a 220v plug in it. Apart from stove and dryer outlet there is nothing I can think of...

You probably have one of those places in your house called a "basement" - where, among other things, one often finds a clothes washer and dryer. Sadly, the concept of a "basement" is totally foreign to many of us in California and elsewhere. So one often finds the washer and dryer in the garage. If one has a gas dryer, as opposed to an electrically heated one, it leaves a nice 240V receptacle free for EV use. These would typically be either a 10-30 in older homes or 14-30 in newer homes.

Only place I could see where higher voltage/current is available would be camp grounds and marinas then again you just can't pull in there to charge either. Please enlighten me on where those adapters get used apart if one wants to install this outlet type in their own garage to charge from...

RV campgrounds have long been used as a sort of secondary/tertiary means for EV charging while travelling in otherwise underserved areas. The NEMA 14-50 is the standard "50 amp" connection used by large RVs. You'll also find TT-30 120V "30 amp" "Travel Trailer" receptacles. Tesla doesn't make a TT-30 adapter for the UMC, but evseadapters does.

I'd imagine that not many folks charge EVs at marinas.

Reactions: AvengerBB
Everyone has their own use case and own options available around them. Honestly, in the beginning I doubt I will go further away then 1/2 the range of the car so I am mostly charging at home or using a public J1772. At one point I will venture out further and will need the 14-50 and tt-30 just to be safe. One of the places that has a Chademo charger also has the Chademo to Tesla adapter so I don't have to spend the outrageous amount of money for one and charge at 50KW. The group doing it, is trying to put a bunch of old/retired NIssan Chademo chargers around. A unique way to not throw out or let sit in a backroom equipment that could be utilized. So while one person says - that's way too slow - we are thinking, AWESOME it isn't 120V /15 amp...

Funny you should mention Marina charging - a local marina added J1772 chargers - one set for customers that can get into the Marina and another set for visitors.