TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Which after market audio?

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by WannabeOwner, Jul 4, 2016.

1. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Member

I bought the standard audio because threads I read suggested that: Standard was "poor", Premium "expensive" and maybe not superb, and as a company car there are benefits to keeping the purchase price down and "upgrading" later. I thought the standard audio might be OK, but sadly it isn't.

We aren't audiophiles who can tell the difference between this fatter-speaker-wire and that gold-connector :cool: but Wifee and I are disappointed with the audio quality of the Standard package. We have below-expectation radio reception (crackle on FM which we haven't had a problem with in previous cars, although in fairness we have had Bose audio (option I presume) fitted to the last few iterations of Golf and Audi before that) and a lack of "depth" of the sound.

I would appreciate any suggestions please - not sure if this has any specific UK twist, but thought I'd start in the UK forum first.

2. tonyj01

tonyj01 Member

I will be interested to see what is added to this thread. You might have to post into the USA/world forum.

My bugbear is not so much the sound, but the lack of iPod connectivity, with controls from the screen, as I have had on previous cars. I can get similar control of playlists and ordering using Spotify, but it feels a shame to leave behind my old playlists, my Ipod in the car, and to pay £10 a month!

I feel the idea you have will not integrate with the car's touchscreen, so the iPod connection will interest me less, I still hope that v8 will address the Apple/iPod issue.

Tony

3. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Member

Yes, that is a concern of mine. Perhaps possible to just replace the power AMPs or somesuch to improve sound quality/depth ... but that doesn't feel like it would cure crackle on FM radio (unless better decoding [I'm not a techie!] is possible with higher spec AMPs)

4. TC56

TC56 Member

• Like x 1
  5. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Member

1200 bucks (no premium audio pre-installed in my car) doesn't sounds at all bad ...

... still got the poor radio reception to consider. Arrived somewhere yesterday, perfect reception (FM radio - maybe it re-tuned en-route). Stopped for 5 minutes, got back in the car to pure static, and at a relative high volume.

6. mikey8156

mikey8156 New Member

I don't think the radio has RDS so the radio will stay on the same frequency and not jump to a better frequency when a stronger signal is available.

7. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Member

Thanks. I know enough understand your explanation, but I don't know enough to diagnose the problem ...

I come home on, say, Radio 4 and as I park up the reception is crystal clear.

Following morning I open the car and all I get is a whole load of relatively loud static ...

I had kinda thought that RDS (or somesuch) was active on the way home, but the following morning whatever variation-channel had been adopted [when I had been coming home] was forgotten / discarded, and the radio had gone back to the "Favourite" as stored for Radio 4 ... although ... almost certainly I set the favourite for Radio 4 (and the others I wanted set up On Day One) when I was sat on my drive. But I could deliberately delete all the favourites, and recreate them, whilst sat on my drive, to try to prove/dis-prove that.

I'm open to ideas :)

I contacted LightHarmonic.com asking when their kit would be available (given that the website is asking for deposits for a future-product), and how difficult it would be to export to UK, and they said "Send us your details and we'll send you an invoice". Seemed to be the answer to a different question! so I haven't done that yet (or had time to figure out a car entertainment outfit nearby who come recommended enough that I might ask them to give me a proposal).

8. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Member

P.S.

Tangential thoughts:

Seem to remember some comments in the last week, or two, that audio had improved somewhat - assumption being that there was a change in an OTA update. I haven't had-a-listen carefully to see if I can spot anything that is improved.

Being a lazy person! I am inclined to wait for 8.0 before doing anything, in case that improves things, or changes my options.

9. mikey8156

mikey8156 New Member

I don't have a Tesla yet but if you have DAB you could try that or listen to Radio 4 on the iplayer,
    BBC - Radio 4 PM - 18/08/2016

10. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Member

I did use DAB for Radio-5-Sports-Thingie to catch some Olympics - I was expecting it to break up in some areas, but come-to-think of it I don't remember that happening. On the two previous cars we have had DAB was unusable as it cut out more often than it transmitted.

I'll give it a go and see how I get on. I (or more correctly "Wifee" :) ) has raised with Tesla Support the fact that Radio blasts out loud-static when we get back into the car. If we get some traction on fixing / working around that I'll report back.

11. bryand

bryand Member

I believe the DAB and FM systems have different aerials, and your FM problems sound like a poor aerial connection/earth rather than anything in the guts of the system. Have Tesla check it out.

• Like x 1
  12. Dan43

Dan43 Member

Some have suggested ditching DAB (Dead And Buried) and go internet/3G/LTE radio for all stations, which may have been mentioned already?

Light Harmonic have a new EU install operation going and a new cheaper option for their upgrades.

While you drive the world’s best electric vehicle, you should be listening to the world’s best stereo.

Rainbow Road Distribution - Light Harmonic Audio for Tesla distributor  -  rainbowroad based in Netherlands

Found this on Teslapedia for UK HiFi install

http://teslapedia.org/model-s/tesla-driver/tesla-model-s-aftermarket-audio-option-uk-specific-article/

13. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Member

Listening to a specific radio channel over TunedIn (or anything on Spotify, for example) is definitely much clearly and without the static I get on FM. My issue may be unique to my car / aerial connection or somesuch (not had time to take car to service centre as yet).

Given that Internet music clarity is very good if I can fix the issues with FM I may not need any upgrade (and the upgrade presumably won't help FM radio quality anyway ...) [I'm out int he sticks, so internet is non-existent to patchy for the first part of any journey I make]