Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Air Filter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Word on the grapevine is that newer cars (not sure how new, some time in 2021 I think) made removal of these filters easier. It still involves removing some trim under the steering column, but you don't have the HV cables in the way anymore, etc.

I just had mine done by a ranger. Can't say I'd have been particularly keen to do it myself, having watched the guy do it.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Are the OEM filters HEPA? Doesn’t look like it.
For Model 3 they are not HEPA, although I would suggest that the third party options that claim to be HEPA almost certainly are not really going to achieve what they claim, and in fact may be worse than OEM as they are replacing area used by filter material with structure to support activated carbon etc. They clearly have less filter material.

If you want HEPA buy a car with HEPA, like the X and Y.

It’s 15 minutes tops, will probably save time compared to getting a ranger round to do it.
Its a Tesla. You just get it done at the same time as they are fixing something else...

But if you want to come round and prove it can be done in 15 minutes you are welcome. I'll pay you a bit more than Tesla charge to fit for your time... and a cup of tea.

Na, second thoughts, I'll just get them to swap ours and do the brakes when its next in for a recall.

I can't be bothered with restoring and/or servicing cars any more. Its easier to let someone else do it whilst I sit and have a nice coffee although I do swap the winter/summers over as its just as easy to do myself than trying to fit 4 in the back of the car to take them for someone else to do.

Its a Tesla. You just get it done at the same time as they are fixing something else...

But if you want to come round and prove it can be done in 15 minutes you are welcome. I'll pay you a bit more than Tesla charge to fit for your time... and a cup of tea.

Na, second thoughts, I'll just get them to swap ours and do the brakes when its next in for a recall.

I can't be bothered with restoring and/or servicing cars any more. Its easier to let someone else do it whilst I sit and have a nice coffee although I do swap the winter/summers over as its just as easy to do myself than trying to fit 4 in the back of the car to take them for someone else to do.
Fair enough, and etto of course.

Personally I get a lot of satisfaction from doing something myself, and taking things apart and putting them back together again. I had most of my MY boot and boot lid apart at the weekend to fit the power boot kick sensor, and will soon be taking most of the frunk apart to fit the power frunk lifter kit. They’re still not particularly hard jobs imo, but make changing those air filters look as easy as changing wiper blades!

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
The thread title should be cabin filter not air filter.
I bought the Blue Print cabin filters from eBay. They were around £10 for the two parts but they weighed around one third less than the OEM suggesting you won’t get the same filtration as the original fitment. I think in future, I will fork out for the OEM given serving costs are so minimal on these cars.

The thread title should be cabin filter not air filter.
I bought the Blue Print cabin filters from eBay. They were around £10 for the two parts but they weighed around one third less than the OEM suggesting you won’t get the same filtration as the original fitment. I think in future, I will fork out for the OEM given serving costs are so minimal on these cars.

Is their another air filter that needs replacing other than the cabin filter?

I used the video I posted to do a brake service at the same time as changing the winter tyres to summer..it took 3 hours.. but then I was lifting one quarter at a time.
Now which cabin filters did we decide were the best?

My filters after two years.

Attachments

• 20220410_153615.jpg
    20220410_153615.jpg
    906.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 20220410_153602.jpg
    20220410_153602.jpg
    820.9 KB · Views: 63
When I did the work to replace the cabin filter I find this male connector.
Tried to scan the QR code but nothing.
Anyone is aware of what it is?

Attachments

• 20220410_144850.jpg
    20220410_144850.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220410_144900.jpg
    20220410_144900.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220410_144915.jpg
    20220410_144915.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220410_145012.jpg
    20220410_145012.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 57
Warranty or pay for the new ones?
Pay, unfortunately. Tesla are aware of people asking to get these replaced under warranty and have told service centres to tell them that it's "a feature of the original design, which has been improved in later revisions that the customer can pay for if they want". The cameras were about £100+VAT each.

• Informative
Reactions: speedyranger74
I just did it on my 2021 Y. I was a pain in the rear. Next time will be easier now that I know what to do but I still might let Tesla handle it.

But I don’t think the OEM filters are HEPA N-98 so having Tesla do it may be a downgrade...