Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which ball mount for the Model S Ecohitch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered the Ecohitch for my Model S and it is on its way to Germany. Unfortunately, ball mount adapters are not available in Germany (it's a long story!).

Could someone please post the offsets that are required for the adapter, so I can order one online?

Thanks!
38_02.jpg

If not available in Germany, EcoHitch should be told this so they can include one in the package. EH should also publish the clearance specs. What size ball does your trailer take?

Well, I didn't get conclusive information. I much prefer to get the actual requirements from a user. Maybe they were concerned about legal implications or whatever. Maybe I just asked the wrong questions.

Has anyone in the forum a working EcoHitch? Which offsets do you use?

German trailers use a 50mm ball. These are easily available for some reason. It's just the square pipe that is not allowed in Germany (which is idiotic because the square pipe is the prefect mount for bike racks etc. . But since they are not legal, German engineering created an expensive mount that squeezes the bike rack onto the 50mm ball, requiring a lot of force and creating the risk of the entire rack shifting and turning. But hey, we would't be Germans if we would accept a simple solution instead of building something infinitely more complicated on top of what was our ow complicated idea to start with (end or rant) ).

Is my understanding the backwards European regulations also do not allow the tow vehicle to control trailer brakes. That the trailer must have an articulated tongue or accelerometer controlling its own brakes.

- - - Updated - - -

If the goal is a bicycle rack on an Ecohitch then why not import a genuine American bicycle rack? You've already imported the Ecohitch.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Bike racks in Germany need tail lights and a license plate. Taillights work differently in Germany: break light and directional light must be separate. On top of that, our license plates have a completely different size and mount. I could never mount that U.S. bike rack on any other car in Germany, and last but no least, I already have a bike rack with German lights and plate holder sitting in my garage.

Maybe someone can still give me these offsets. I am currently in the U.S. and I would just *love* to grab the adapter at the hardware store and throw it in my luggage on my flight on Thursday, instead of paying 120 Dollars to ship a 30 Dollar adapter.

Thanks.

Is your Eco-Hitch the 1-1/4" or 2" hitch? The mount lengths are pretty much standard. Any of them are going to work: Trailer Hitch Ball Mounts, Adjustable, Multi-Ball, Aluminum, Cushioned and Long | etrailer.com

Ditto. There is no one right, proper, or correct "offset". There is no one proper height for the ball. The distance out ("A" in your illustration) is whatever you want it to be. Is my understanding Europe does not allow a bolt-on ball but requires the drawbar and ball to be one assembly, or possibly welded assembly.

I keep two drawbar and ball assemblies for my dirtbike hauler. One is supposedly a 4" drop but I turn it upside down and use as a riser for my Kendon trailer on Mercedes-Benz ML320 factory hitch. For generic garden tractor trailers a 2" drop mounted upside down as a riser works best no matter the ML320's receiver is relatively high. The Kendon trailer wants the top of the ball at about 21", many other US domestic trailers are designed for 18".

http://home.hiwaay.net/~dkelly/ML320BT/ML320BT_Trailer_6.jpg