Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Brake Pads? 21 in wheel squeal when stopping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m already getting sick of the 21 inch wheel squeak / screech when stopping. Apparently Tesla said this is normal due to infrequent use of the brakes. Now I’m on a mission to mitigate this awful embarrassing noise. Does anyone have recommendations for brake pads? Should i try ceramic or semi metallic?

Did you try doing some heavy braking? Shortly after getting my car, I remember having some annoying squeaks start to happen when it was close to stopping at stop signs, lights, etc. Someone in the forums recommended getting up some speed and stopping quickly a few times. I turned regen to low, and did about six or so 70mph to 0 fast stops with moderate-heavy breaking. Never had a squeak since then.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2101Guy
This was a good video to watch before I replaced my front rotors and pads earlier this year. The stock pads were still quiet and had plenty of meat on them, but the pedal pulsed as I came to a stop and the stopping power was kind of weak, so I replaced them.

Cleaning and lubricating the pads is more or less free. If your car is otherwise braking well, I'd say you're on the right track. My car came from Chicago and was about 4 years old when I did the brakes. It seemed to be otherwise well cared for, but I'm not sure if the brakes were ever serviced. The pads themselves were surprisingly a bear to get out of the caliper. Give yourself some extra time when doing the job.

I’ve had this problem on 21 arachnids also. No noise from my 19s, so I didn’t think it was a real defect, just an unfortunate issue (which reveals lack of thorough testing)got rid of it without replacing any parts.

1. Remove the wheels and loosen the calipers.
2. Clean the part of the rotor that touches the wheel and the part of the wheel that touches the rotor. I used coarse scotch brite pads. They do make a tool for this if you like gadgets.
3. Take the pads out of the calipers and clean and lubricate the sliding points and pins.
4. Reassemble. Revel in the eerily quiet braking.

this is the 3M brake hub cleaner. You need the holder and the disks. Local pricing was MUCH better than this.