Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which candidate is better for Tesla?

Who is better for Tesla?

• Donald Trump

Votes: 42 18.3%
  • Hillary Clinton

Votes: 188 81.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uber got around the cronyism in the taxi regulation and opened up the industry. When the regulations for taxis were put in place, there was aUber's success has shown the cronyism has become the primary motivation in the taxi regulation business and that should be revisited in many areas.

The one unfortunate, but inevitable, side effect is that some taxi drivers are getting hosed by the breaking of their monopoly. Not because there's suddenly competition -- that they can handle. The problem is that, in NYC for example, the cost of a taxi medallion is $1.2 million. Many of them are owned by large cab companies, but many are owned by individuals, and some have even been in the family for generations. If you saved for years and bought a taxi medallion for $1 million ten years ago, you are now officially screwed, because the value of that medallion is rapidly heading toward zero. And it's not your fault -- government created an artificial monopoly, you played by their rules, then they changed the rules out from under you.

Reactions: Weezer Fan
In an odd and twisted way, Trump.

Now hear me out:

Hillary has already been bought and paid for by the Saudis, so the price of gas will not likely waver too insanely with her in office. She will stay subservient to the Clinton Foundation's highest donors.

But in Trump's 1st week, he will say something to insult the Saudis, causing OPEC to halt production and drive the price of gas through the roof.

And suddenly, everyone will want a Tesla, if we all happen to survive the impending Global Thermonuclear War.

• Funny
Reactions: rxlawdude
There are many issues that might affect Tesla so i am not sure we can predict them all. And factors at play other than the President's wishes.
So I will comment on just one, the potential for continuing or maybe raising the Federal tax rebate. Clearly, continuing the rebate past its present limit would help sales of EVs.
In general, Republicans (or maybe I should say conservatives) such as Trump tend to resist government subsidies that raise taxes or the deficit, so I suspect that Trump would be less inclined to support an extension of the rebate if the question comes to him as President.

But it is more complex than that. Congress is the main actor in legislation. At the moment, the Republicans control the House and Senate. If that continues, and Clinton is elected, she still might not be able to get an extension passed even if she wants to and proposes it. But if the control of the House and/or Senate swings to the Dems, such an extension might be more likely.

Then again, if Trump wins the Congress might still become more Democratic and an extension might be possible despite his objection!
So even on that one fairly simple topic, i think it is too complex to predict the outcome.

The problem with electing The Donald is that Elon's Mars colony isn't up and running yet so when President The Donald destroys all intelligent life on the Earth, there won't be a backup.

The available evidence suggests that Hillary is more likely to make that mistake.

Trump wants to team up with Russia to fight ISIS. That sounds like a plan.
Clinton wants to team up with ISIS to fight Russia. That sounds like suicide.

I'm oversimplifying Clinton's position -- she wants to team up with "Syrian rebels" to fight the Assad regime. But in reality, the rebels and ISIS overlap and are fighting the same enemy (much like the Viet Cong and the North Vietnamese Army fighting Saigon), and Assad is a Russian client. Best case scenario, her strategy ends like Bay of Pigs. Worst case, it ends like Archduke Ferdinand.

More generally, Clinton is a consistent hawk who has learned nothing from past failures. She has supported every single intervention I can think of in the last 30 years, and some (Libya in particular) she instigated. After voting for the Iraq war and seeing how that regime change played out, she then pushed for more regime change Libya, Syria, and Egypt, with equally disastrous consequences.

Hillary Clinton is objectively far more likely to start a global world war than any of the other candidates.

Last edited:
The available evidence suggests that Hillary is more likely to make that mistake.

Trump wants to team up with Russia to fight ISIS. That sounds like a plan.
Clinton wants to team up with ISIS to fight Russia. That sounds like suicide.

I'm oversimplifying Clinton's position -- she wants to team up with "Syrian rebels" to fight the Assad regime. But in reality, the rebels and ISIS overlap and are fighting the same enemy (much like the Viet Cong and the North Vietnamese Army fighting Saigon), and Assad is a Russian client. Best case scenario, her strategy ends like Bay of Pigs. Worst case, it ends like Archduke Ferdinand.

More generally, Clinton is a consistent hawk who has learned nothing from past failures. She has supported every single intervention I can think of in the last 30 years, and some (Libya in particular) she instigated. After voting for the Iraq war and seeing how that regime change played out, she then pushed for more regime change Libya, Syria, and Egypt, with equally disastrous consequences.

Hillary Clinton is objectively far more likely to start a global world war than any of the other candidates.
Yes, oversimplification seems to be endemic with your candidate.

As a Brit, I don't understand the antipathy towards Clinton. Yeas I can get that you might be a republican and have a conservative view of life that is different to her as an establishment Democrat or you might be a lefty and see her as a hawk. You might not like the way she talks ... but she is experienced and proven reasonably competent overall ... yeah there is Benghazi (a stretch to solely blame her) and the emails (more about security than their content), that might show carelessness.... but there is no evidence she is wicked or 'crooked'. She seems to be a stolid centrist with a hawkish view on foreign policy.... not exactly anathema to a conservative world view.

Certainly I would trade her for our current Prime Minister who is substantially less than the sum of her parts, and if you give me Donald Trump, I will rase you his mini me Boris Johnson

As a Brit, I don't understand the antipathy towards Clinton. Yeas I can get that you might be a republican and have a conservative view of life that is different to her as an establishment Democrat or you might be a lefty and see her as a hawk. You might not like the way she talks ... but she is experienced and proven reasonably competent overall ... yeah there is Benghazi (a stretch to solely blame her) and the emails (more about security than their content), that might show carelessness.... but there is no evidence she is wicked or 'crooked'. She seems to be a stolid centrist with a hawkish view on foreign policy.... not exactly anathema to a conservative world view.

Certainly I would trade her for our current Prime Minister who is substantially less than the sum of her parts, and if you give me Donald Trump, I will rase you his mini me Boris Johnson

her, her husband, and anyone in their political machine have a long history of either being directly involved in, or dangerously close to, scandals that would get most people locked up for decades.

but this is a Tesla forum. So I'll just leave it at that. ;)

Reactions: jspayneii
her, her husband, and anyone in their political machine have a long history of either being directly involved in, or dangerously close to, scandals that would get most people locked up for decades.

but this is a Tesla forum. So I'll just leave it at that. ;)

Shouldn't you be preparing for your debate Donald? :cool:

Seriously that is the question I posed..what are you referring to?

Reactions: DriverOne
It's pretty amazing to me that a significant number of people on this forum think Trump could possibly be the answer to this question.

Gee, one candidate says climate change is a hoax, supports coal, opposes carbon fees, is hostile to the electric car industry and solar industry and is opposed by most business leaders as a danger to the economy. It ain't Hillary. Maybe her biggest recent problem was the reveal that she's too friendly to business.

Your news hasn't been bombarded with criminal theories about her and her husband for the last 25 years as the US has.

Richard Brodie who was a manager at Microsoft and led the Word 1.0 project has become an author after leaving MS. He wrote a book on memes called "Virus of the Mind". Memes are ideas which replicate themselves from person to person. Most Americans can complete the phrase "things go better with _____" because it was the tag line for Coca Cola for a long time. That's a harmless meme, even if it might be annoying sometimes.

When memes change our behavior, they become viruses of the mind. These days a lot of people are paranoid about some stranger grabbing their kid off the street, even though something like 97% of child abductions are someone they know, most often a parent during a custody dispute. Since 9/11 Americans have been paranoid about terrorists, and there have been some incidents, but your odds of getting killed driving to work, even in a Tesla, are many times higher.

The US news media has created memes about the Clintons, which have a small nugget of truth at the center of most of them, that are way blown out of proportion to the actual offense. Hillary Clinton adds to the meme by having a personality that grates on many people (including me). John Oliver (one of the best imports the US has seen in decades) has a program on HBO you have probably heard of where he does what I call investigative comedy. His staff does quite a good job of running various stories to ground and he gives a new take on them.

A few weeks ago he did a story looking at Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton's backgrounds. His show had been off a few weeks at that point and he said he and his team investigated every Clinton scandal to the start and he said it was incredibly frustrating. In almost every case there was something there, but in every case the news media had blown it way out of proportion. The video is up on Youtube and it worth watching.

At the end he likened it to an oatmeal cookie with raisins. Hillary Clinton is a cookie with more than the usual amount of raisins, but Donald Trump is a cascade of billions of raisins, sans cookie.

At least Boris Johnson has held elected office and there is some track record to point to. Other than that, he does seem kind of like the UK's Trump. I'm more aware of US politics than UK, but when he was mayor of London I thought he was better thought of than he is now that he is an MP.

Even if I thought Donald Trump was a reasonable person I would be concerned about him being president because he has no related experience. Elon Musk is ineligible to be president because he was not born an American citizen, but even if he was, I would be concerned if he was running for president. Given his track record, he is IMO much more capable of learning the job than Donald Trump, but running businesses and running governments are completely different skill sets, even if the US has a meme floating around that government would be helped by having more business people running it, I disagree. It's too simplistic.

At this point it looks like Hillary Clinton will win the election and the EV industry may or may not get a boost from her administration, but it likely won't be harmed. Her husband was outstanding at economic issues (he also was lucky enough to be dealt a strong economic hand to start with, IMO he played a good hand perfectly) and if her administration follows suit, she will likely do things that boost the US economy of years to come. EV tech is an emerging technology like the internet was in the early 1990s. Doing something to boost that industry in the US could pay off in dividends for decades to come.

Hillary will launch nukes at Russia and within 4 minutes of her time in office there will be no environment to speak of.

Trump on the other hand will make friends with everyone, charge them all according to their profiting off the US, then in turn lower everyone's taxes so they can all afford new level 5 automated teslas.

Trump wins for the EV in my book