Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which candidate is better for Tesla?

Who is better for Tesla?

• Donald Trump

Votes: 42 18.3%
  • Hillary Clinton

Votes: 188 81.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does that compare to the out-of-pocket cost of a week in the hospital if you don't have insurance at all?

What charming naivete' and hearkening back to a simpler, more genteel time! These days we don't wait for the next election;
we start agitating for impeachment even before inauguration. ;)
You still have to pay a very high deductible amount even when you have insurance. So it’s like having no insurance at all. The health insurance that I buy is meant for a major health problem such as cancer, car accident. Being a small business owner without any health benefit, I pay close to $1000 every month for the cheapest bronze plan for a family of 4. And this premium will go up to $1250/month next year.

Last edited:
Think again:
In Case You Were Wondering, Donald Trump Has Multiple Ties to the Dakota Access Pipeline

You think that your insurance rates wouldn't go up if Obamacare wasn't there? They were going up a fair bit every year before Obamacare too.

As for voting Trump out of office in 2020, I hope we're still here to do that. We just gave someone with no impulse control and the thinnest skin imaginable the codes to a nuclear arsenal that can wipe out life on Earth.
No worry, our country will be fine for the next 4 years. What is great about this county is we have the balance of power among the 3 equal branches of government.

Last edited:
Will gas prices go up again, stay the same, or go down?

I think that while oil prices have some supply and demand factor, there is also a geopolitical component and the US/Saudi alliance is trying to hurt Russia and Iran right now. Both those countries' economies depend on the price of oil being high and with it low the regimes in those countries are suffering.

Trump does have some ties to Russia though his buddy and former campaign manager and Trump has made noises about how much he likes Putin. If they tell him about the manipulation of oil prices, he might do what he can to reverse it and help Russia, though Saudi Arabia wouldn't be happy and it would be helping Iran too.

Thomas Friedman had a good article in the NYT speculating about this in 2014, but they ask to log in to see it now and for some reason it isn't letting me log in. Here is another article along the same lines (not as good, but similar gist):
Penny for your thoughts: Oil Wars? US/Saudi Arabia vs Russia/Iran
http://pennyforyourthoughts2.blogspot.com/2014/10/oil-wars-ussaudi-arabia-vs-russiairan.html
They quote another article from Friedman in the above link.

This pinged with me when oil prices suddenly started dropping in late 2014 because I had seen something written years earlier about one of the weapons used to end the cold war and bring down the USSR was low oil prices. At the time oil prices were near all time highs and the author believed it was to hurt China who is dependent on oil imports. He predicted that if Russia did anything to get out of line too far, oil prices would go down and they did right after the invasion of Crimea.

Reactions: K-MTG
Norway's oil production is in decline. Same thing with the UK oil production in the North Sea.

Norway Crude Oil Production | 1973-2016 | Data | Chart | Calendar
Norway’s Oil Decline Accelerating | OilPrice.com

Which is why they've been putting their oil profits away in a fund for growth so that when they run out of oil they still have a pool of money to draw from. Last I heard they owned 2% of the world's stocks, except for those which don't meet their social ethics standards.

Absolutely shocked by the number of Trump supporters saying they voted to repeal Obamacare. All poor people who will pay far more in aggregate if Obamacare is repealed.

Littld known fact. . . . . Trump has been a universal health care supporter for quite some time.
With the skyrocketing premiums and ridiculous deductibles, you shouldn't be. Bill Clinton remarked what a disaster it is, and we know what a populace president he was.

And yes, I'm aware of that latter revelation...not sure how he's going to successfully play both sides. The mandate is universally hated.

• Disagree
Reactions: UCLA98 and msnow
As for Obamacare premiums, those hikes are all due to the actions of Marco Rubio.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/10/us/politics/marco-rubio-obamacare-affordable-care-act.html?_r=0
NYT, renowned for their objectivity. It's always the opposition's fault. The ponzi scheme of a law was forced onto the public by purely partisan devices. If you're trying to work your way out of poverty, it actually PENALIZES you for doing so with mandate fees/taxes (if uninsured) or starkly decreased subsidiaries so that you're better off just staying in poverty! Burn it in a fire. Wow, I'm outta' here before I blow a gasket.

Last edited:
With the skyrocketing premiums and ridiculous deductibles, you shouldn't be. Bill Clinton remarked what a disaster it is, and we know what a populace president he was.

And yes, I'm aware of that latter revelation...not sure how he's going to successfully play both sides. The mandate is universally hated.
He's keeping it be
NYT, renowned for their objectivity. It's always the opposition's fault. The ponzi scheme of a law was forced onto the public by purely partisan devices. If you're trying to work your way out of poverty, it actually PENALIZES you for doing so with mandate fees/taxes (if uninsured) or starkly decreased subsidiaries so that you're better off just staying in poverty! Burn it in a fire. Wow, I'm outta' here before I blow a gasket.
You obviously know absolutely nothing about this topic. Trumps keeping Obamacare BTW.

For 90% of the 20 million people that have it there are credits making it cheaper for them. For the other 10% it's more expensive and that needs to be fixed right away. By the way, the people that are in that 90% group love it so it's not "universally hated".

With Obamacare, when people are asked about individual things in the law, they are almost all very popular.

Major legislation also requires tweaks to make it work. Medicare was a mess at first, social security needed work, etc. The resistance from one side and the gridlock in Washington has prevented the normal evolution of the law.

Reactions: msnow
For 90% of the 20 million people that have it there are credits making it cheaper for them. For the other 10% it's more expensive and that needs to be fixed right away. By the way, the people that are in that 90% group love it so it's not "universally hated".

This completely ignores what it has done to the REST of the insurance market.

I provide 100% coverage for my employees, and 75% for their families. Extremely generous given that I have to provide nothing by law (being less than a 50 person company). Over the past 5 years our insurance costs have risen by 143% (i.e. it costs me 2.43 times as much to provide the same level of coverage).

Most employers do not absorb that cost like I have. Instead they pass as much on to their employees as possible.

THAT is what mainstream people are pissed off about. They have seen their portion of premiums jump drastically.

I almost dropped coverage for my employees this year, or made them pay part of the premium for the first time. Not out of spite or anything so vindictive, simply because the numbers no longer worked and legally I'm not required to provide this.

Last edited:
He's keeping it be

You obviously know absolutely nothing about this topic. Trumps keeping Obamacare BTW.

Oversimplification, he's stated he is "open to keeping certain provisions in it", but not the whole thing by a long shot.

Specifically these 2 provisions:
1) Pre-existing conditions are still exempt from denial of insurance
2) Children can stay on their parents' insurance plan beyond 21 (currently it is 26, Trump has given no specific age yet).

Typical liberal slant, you have to lie about something to make your point.

This completely ignores what it has done to the REST of the insurance market.

I provide 100% coverage for my employees, and 75% for their families. Extremely generous given that I have to provide nothing by law (being less than a 50 person company). Over the past 5 years our insurance costs have risen by 143% (i.e. it costs me 2.43 times as much to provide the same level of coverage).

Most employers do not absorb that cost like I have. Instead that pass as much on to their employees as possible.

THAT is what mainstream people are pissed off about. They have seen their portion of premiums jump drastically.

I almost dropped coverage for my employees this year, or made them pay part of the premium for the first time. Not out of spite or anything so vindictive, simply because the numbers no longer worked and legally I'm not required to provide this.

Same here. For 23 years I've provided full coverage for my employees and their families.

After the National Healthcare SNAFU, my rates went WAY up. This cuts back on employee wage increases and bonuses.

Folks think an employer can just pull money out of their arses like the government does. No, we cannot. Money that is taken from one account diminishes the others. New machines, expansion, advertising, direct wages, pension contribution, healthcare, bonuses, perks, vacations, holidays, everything draws from the same pool of gross income.

So President Barack Obama reduced the standard of living for my staff. And Hillary Clinton was promising to double down. Lunchroom chatter seem to point they are glad Clinton lost.

I cannot think of one thing the DNC has done to improve the lives of my employees in the last 8 years. They are middle class skilled technicians who rely on manufacturing customers for their paychecks. Only the fact that we are about the best in the country at what we do has kept us afloat in California even after they chased our customers out of state.