Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which car next?

What car should I lease?

• 2021 Model X LR

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • 2021 Model Y LR

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Other brand EV

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
The lease is up on my X75 in June and I need to make a decision very soon on the next car to lease. The current car is 5 seater and that is fine sizewise. 99% of the time it is 2 or less in the car. We have a 2020 Model 3 LR to drive while awaiting the new car, so delivery time is not a huge factor.

I like the ride of the X over the Y but wondering if there are other factors I should consider. And with the EV competition in the CUV/SUV section getting fierce, maybe I should look at other brands.

For me it is not the car, as much as the infrastructure that supports it in terms of charging. I do enjoy our 2019 Raven, warts and all, but since we use it a lot for travel, it is the SC network that makes the deal for me. Yes, I know there is a huge effort to "Electrify America", but it is a pittance compared to Tesla, and if you read some of the charging difficulties non Tesla owners face, I will stick with Tesla. Others also seem to struggle with anything related to OTA, (Over The Air), updates that Tesla seems to have down to a science, perhaps too much! I have struggled with Porsche for 3 years now on an OTA issue on my Macan, that is still not resolved for example. It is one of the reasons I am staying away from the Taycan, as well as the charging issue. If you are the type of user that just plugs their vehicle into a level 2 each night, does very little travel than I suspect your reasoning may be different.

The lease is up on my X75 in June and I need to make a decision very soon on the next car to lease. The current car is 5 seater and that is fine sizewise. 99% of the time it is 2 or less in the car. We have a 2020 Model 3 LR to drive while awaiting the new car, so delivery time is not a huge factor.

I like the ride of the X over the Y but wondering if there are other factors I should consider. And with the EV competition in the CUV/SUV section getting fierce, maybe I should look at other brands.

One factor you will have to consider is availability. I really doubt you will be able get an X by June. Estimated first deliveries is now July

We lease our X through September 2022. I have a CT reservation (day 2). I admit that I also looked at the Rivian R1S lately. It's more SUVish and has a nice high clearance. The good news is that I have a year before I make a decision, and we'll have a better clue as to Rivian and CT perform in the real world then. If nothing strikes your fancy now, you could always extend your lease by another 6 months, and wait til year end to decide.

One factor you will have to consider is availability. I really doubt you will be able get an X by June. Estimated first deliveries is now July
Not an issue. We have a 2020 Model 3 LR we hardly drive. We put 1800 miles on it since January 2020, and we have work from home for 5 years.

Also, worried about the number of posts about booming interior noises and lack of heat in the Y. Of course, I assume the new X will have a heat pump also, so the heat problem when skiing may be an issue with both the X and Y.

Not an issue. We have a 2020 Model 3 LR we hardly drive. We put 1800 miles on it since January 2020, and we have work from home for 5 years.

Also, worried about the number of posts about booming interior noises and lack of heat in the Y. Of course, I assume the new X will have a heat pump also, so the heat problem when skiing may be an issue with both the X and Y.

Does the Y have a back up coil heater for when the temps are too low outside?