Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which car to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

New member here so don’t haze me too much please. Just ordered a MYP(white on white white a two hitch, no FSD) and the edd came in at the end of June/beginning of July. There is a 2020 white on black MYLR with 20” Inductions for sale locally with FSD but no tow hitch listed for $62k. It has 18k miles on it currently and is in perfect condition.

Having a really hard time deciding if I should save the money on the used one or continue waiting for the new one. I will need the tow hitch and thinking I would likely want acceleration boost so I would likely be spending that money too if getting the 2020 LR.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

Welcome to the forums :) About a month ago I traded it my 2020 MYLR for a 2022 MYP loved the 20 MYLR but boy did it rattle from day 1 from the dash, center console, rear hatch area, rear seat… and I am not even mentioning the panel gaps. My 22 MYP, OMG the build quality is so much better, slight panel gap (which they fixed) and no rattles. 22 MYP is so much quieter, rides better and I am so happy I went with the MYP.

So if you want my opinion pass on the 20 MYLR and wait for the 22 MYP. You won’t regret the wait plus once Austin gets rolling you most likely will get your MYP before June - July.

If you are in a hurry go on Discord and get one. I bought an inventory Y. People will tell you they are rejects. Burbank pinged my car it was on a transport truck coming from the Factory. Not sitting on a lot somewhere being rejected. I really could not find any problems… I looked trust me.
0647BE26-5EC4-404E-8D73-A395FFAB3D8B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Suns and voxel
Either option sounds good, if FSD is important and you can’t wait, the used 2020 will be great. However if FSD is not so important and you can wait, your order will be an excellent choice. I’d choose the latter of the options personally as the several improvements that have and will happen will give you that cutting edge latest model. That being said I love my 2020 LR model and won’t be trading it in for a long time. P.S. you can add the towe hitch later.

Hey everyone,

New member here so don’t haze me too much please. Just ordered a MYP(white on white white a two hitch, no FSD) and the edd came in at the end of June/beginning of July. There is a 2020 white on black MYLR with 20” Inductions for sale locally with FSD but no tow hitch listed for $62k. It has 18k miles on it currently and is in perfect condition.

Having a really hard time deciding if I should save the money on the used one or continue waiting for the new one. I will need the tow hitch and thinking I would likely want acceleration boost so I would likely be spending that money too if getting the 2020 LR.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!
I would wait if you can. The newest cars have the nicest bits... and AMD Ryzen MCU, 12v lipo low voltage battery, heated wiper possibly, laminated rear glass possibility, biodefense filter, much improved build quality, and foremost you got the rear mega casting. Those things are no brainers to me.

Reactions: Suns_PSD
Thanks so much to all of you so far. I was initially super excited about the FSD but it seems after reading a ton, it’s not really worth much to most in its current iteration anyway. I think I’ll go ahead and hold out and hope my delivery gets moved up. It said April on the site while I was placing my order and then, as soon as I finished and got an actual edd, it was June 20- July 18! 🤨😢

Thanks so much to all of you so far. I was initially super excited about the FSD but it seems after reading a ton, it’s not really worth much to most in its current iteration anyway. I think I’ll go ahead and hold out and hope my delivery gets moved up. It said April on the site while I was placing my order and then, as soon as I finished and got an actual edd, it was June 20- July 18! 🤨😢
Austin will be ramping up and that will help clear out the backlog. With your dates MYP you might getting might have “the holy grail” 4680 Battery pack 😳

My Model Y Performance, delivered Dec. 26th, came with virtually no problems! No gaps, the paint looks great, and both my son and I looked it over with a fine tooth comb, after reading about all of the problems!

After two months of ownership, I absolutely love this car!

I think you're making the right choice in waiting... your car will have the upgraded chip for gaming, heated windshield wipers, and a few other upgrades I'm not remembering...

I personally can be very patient, as long as I don't have to wait!

Pop in to a Tesla store with a friend and ask to demo a Model Y to tempt your friend into getting a Tesla Model Y, or rent a Model Y for a day on Turo, if you get too impatient!

I had to wait for my BMW M2, and rented an M2 from Turo a couple of times!

Hey... it's all part of the "TESLA" experience! See the personal plate below!

Congrats! You're going to really love whichever Model Y you end up with!
20220113_172821.jpg

Reactions: Halldawg
just got my 2022 MYLR
Great Ride heated steering wheel, this was not on my 2020
AMD chip, But the speed depends on signal, No or limited signal still has issues. But its faster no doubt
Overall great ride, came from a 2020 performance model 3
I don't miss the acceleration difference, as ride quality, reduced wind noise and rattles are much improved
Ease of entry and exit have improved. easy to transport stuff from Costco
And the weirdest thing, it fits in my garage the same as the model 3, but its much taller and wider
I look at where it is and see this bigger car and shake my head as i did nothing to adjust to the size.
I feel the road hits from rocks on the freeway are less the the Model 3, unless it's the quieter cabin.
My Model 3 front windshield screen fits the model Y. The model Y is a different slope. Again wild to see difference
I would go for the 2022, there is allot of changes that were made if you are going to keep longterm
You can add the hitch at any time. Get the acceleration Boost. If you want to go performance suspension add the Mountain Pass Comfort Coil overs. The sky is the limit
I am very happy with what I have
PS when you are at freeway speeds, your acceleration to merge or overtake another car is breath taking this coming from a model 3 performance owner
Yes lots of other changes coming but at some point you have to say yes and take delivery
When I picked up mine the Tesla employee said to me, lets go check out your Space Ship.

Welcome to the forums :) About a month ago I traded it my 2020 MYLR for a 2022 MYP loved the 20 MYLR but boy did it rattle from day 1 from the dash, center console, rear hatch area, rear seat… and I am not even mentioning the panel gaps. My 22 MYP, OMG the build quality is so much better, slight panel gap (which they fixed) and no rattles. 22 MYP is so much quieter, rides better and I am so happy I went with the MYP.

So if you want my opinion pass on the 20 MYLR and wait for the 22 MYP. You won’t regret the wait plus once Austin gets rolling you most likely will get your MYP before June - July.

If you are in a hurry go on Discord and get one. I bought an inventory Y. People will tell you they are rejects. Burbank pinged my car it was on a transport truck coming from the Factory. Not sitting on a lot somewhere being rejected. I really could not find any problems… I looked trust me.View attachment 774309
what's your trade in value for the 2020 MYLR?

I would definitely go with the newer vehicle without FSD. I’m pretty biased against FSD and don’t think it will be worth the price premium for several years. Also I think if I were to order a MY today I would go with the performance. You mentioned you were going to buy the acceleration boost which drops the price difference from 5K to 3K. In my case I upgraded to the 20 inch rims which further lowers the price difference to just 1K. When I bought mine in early 2021 the price difference was 8K which made the decision a little harder.

I am also in a similar boat. I have an MYP on order and got a VIN but released it due to Austin. Also, I found a 2021 MYP stealth wrapped for $60K OTD, used with 20k miles. That would save me $12K if you factor in California taxes for a new MYP at $72K OTD. I want all latest bells and whistles, but I do think if you find a really good deal on a used one, that might be the way to go. Now, if any form of a Federal tax credit comes to fruition, that could change things.

My Model Y Performance, delivered Dec. 26th, came with virtually no problems! No gaps, the paint looks great, and both my son and I looked it over with a fine tooth comb, after reading about all of the problems!

After two months of ownership, I absolutely love this car!

I think you're making the right choice in waiting... your car will have the upgraded chip for gaming, heated windshield wipers, and a few other upgrades I'm not remembering...

I personally can be very patient, as long as I don't have to wait!

Pop in to a Tesla store with a friend and ask to demo a Model Y to tempt your friend into getting a Tesla Model Y, or rent a Model Y for a day on Turo, if you get too impatient!

I had to wait for my BMW M2, and rented an M2 from Turo a couple of times!

Hey... it's all part of the "TESLA" experience! See the personal plate below!

Congrats! You're going to really love whichever Model Y you end up with!View attachment 774450
Major props for supporting the 11-99 foundation.

Major props for supporting the 11-99 foundation.
Actually... that's a photograph of someone elses Tesla, which I took because I liked the personal plate...

Now that you've brought the 11-99 foundation to my attention, and I checked it out, I am going to make a contribution, so that your thanks doesn't go to waste, and because it sounds like an excellent foundation!

Thank YOU!

Just an update to all this, I did decide to wait. Waiting is hard 🤣. And then Wednesday this week, I got an update to the EDD of April 18-May 20. While I was super excited about this, I’ve read a lot of these dates just being a figure of Tesla’s imagination so took it with a grain of salt. Thursday, I got a call from my rep at Tesla and they have my car. Delivery is currently set for Monday but, we will see if it actually gets here in time. This all seems a little surreal since my order date was only Feb 22!😳

Reactions: CaliX
Just an update to all this, I did decide to wait. Waiting is hard 🤣. And then Wednesday this week, I got an update to the EDD of April 18-May 20. While I was super excited about this, I’ve read a lot of these dates just being a figure of Tesla’s imagination so took it with a grain of salt. Thursday, I got a call from my rep at Tesla and they have my car. Delivery is currently set for Monday but, we will see if it actually gets here in time. This all seems a little surreal since my order date was only Feb 22!😳

I can be very patient, as long as I don't have to wait...

Congrats on (soon) receiving your MYP! You are going to love it! We've had ours for a little over two months, and I still don't get over the feeling when I hit the accelerator! This car is a blast! On top of which, I've had four updates in the two months since I took delivery!

Great car!

Very exciting! Good luck. I had a very good and uneventful pickup of my MYLR from Rocklin 2 months ago. It's been great!

Post pictures of your Y when you get it! Very excited for you :)