Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which charger to get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I bought a 100D Model S a few days ago and I am researching my options for home charging. My local energy company has an incentive for installing Level 2 home chargers. There is a $500 rebate for a networked charger and a $250 rebate for a non-networked charger. Here is how they define a network charger.

A Networked Level 2 EV charging station, sometimes referred to as a “smart” charging station, must be capable of connecting to the internet via WiFi connection for app or web-based charging control. Typical networked charging station features can enable owners to control charge times, monitor power, set notifications, or view charge history. Many other smart grid features may be available depending on charging station model.

Even though I don't drive much most days, I am still looking at getting a 60 amp line pulled from the basement where the electrical panel is. So far I have learned that the Tesla Wall Connector is a non-networked charger and my 100D Model S can do a max of 48 amps (34 miles per hour) on it.

What networked charger options do I have? The ChargePoint Home seem to go up to 32 amp max. There is a ClipperCreek one that can go up to 64 amps (limited to 48 with my Model S?), but that's $969. Maybe the JuiceBox Pro 40 is the best all around (@ $549) because it can do 40 amp (vs. 48 w/ Tesla Wall Connector)? Others?

Thanks!

Note the fine print on the rebate form:
  • "Projects must demonstrate permanency" - I assume that means hardwired; no plug in units, and
  • "Rebate will not exceed 50% (of) the equipment purchase and installation cost of a level 2 charging station"
So, in increasing order of post-rebate cost (installation costs not included):
  • Tesla Wall Connector is $500 - $250 = $250 (not networked, up to 80A on a 100A breaker).
  • JuiceBox Pro 40 is $549 - $274.5 = $274.5 (networked, 40A on a 50A circuit).
  • Hardwired Chargepoint Home with 25ft cable, $559 - $279.5 (50% of purchase) = $279.50, limited to 32A (on a 40A circuit). Price for hardwired, depends on cable length (18 or 25 ft - longer generally better, 18 ft is $20 cheaper after rebate).
  • ClipperCreek HCS-80 would be $969 - $250 = $719 (not networked, 64A on an 80A circuit).
Tesla Wall Connector is cheapest and fastest. Unless you needed to charge a non-Tesla EV, I'd go with the Wall Connector. For the J1772 options, I'd strongly recommend getting another adapter to leave at home for convenience, but that adds $95. If you pay for installation, you can probably claim more rebate, which may change the number for the networked options somewhat.

Before committing to a networked unit, I would make sure they accept that particular unit. Do they want to be able to remotely control your charging during peak periods? Do they support that vendor's protocol? etc.

Reactions: maximizese
Thank you for the responses! I did have an installation cost that would put the total above the $1,000 for the networked/$500 rebate. I ended up going with the JuiceBox Pro 40 because it seemed like a good middle ground given all the factors.

The J1772 adapter seems a little hard to take out of the charging port. Is that normal?