Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which charger to get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

My new (to me) MX 90D is on it’s way home! :) I’m trying to decide which home charge setup to get. Is there a huge difference between the regular $45 cable that plugs to the 240v outlet and the $500 home charger? My electrician said he’s going to use a 40amp breaker. The panel he’s pulling from has room so he could use a bigger breaker if it’s beneficial.

Thanks for your help!

Jose

What in-car charger does the X have? Early models had 72kW chargers which could take advantage of a 100 amp circuit which requires a wall box. If you have the lower powered charger and will stick with a 40-50 amp circuit then read through that other thread.

Hey @Gwgan I don't have the answer to to that yet. I bought a pre-owned MX from Tesla and it's been transported from CO to FL. I'll know more when I take delivery.

I read the other thread and I think I'm going to go with the wall charger. I know it's a big expense but I like the idea that it regulates current, communicates with the car and the app, and it's pretty :)

Hey @Gwgan I don't have the answer to to that yet. I bought a pre-owned MX from Tesla and it's been transported from CO to FL. I'll know more when I take delivery.

I read the other thread and I think I'm going to go with the wall charger. I know it's a big expense but I like the idea that it regulates current, communicates with the car and the app, and it's pretty :)

While I agree with your choice (what I did, twice), do not give it more credit than it is due. The “charger” is actually inside the car. All the wall connector brings to the party is simply a connector that very conveniently allows you to connect the car to 240V AC. All the intelligence is in the car. The only thing set in the Wall Connector is the maximum current allowed, which depends on the wiring you use to install it.

Hi guys,

My new (to me) MX 90D is on it’s way home! :) I’m trying to decide which home charge setup to get. Is there a huge difference between the regular $45 cable that plugs to the 240v outlet and the $500 home charger? My electrician said he’s going to use a 40amp breaker. The panel he’s pulling from has room so he could use a bigger breaker if it’s beneficial.

Thanks for your help!

Jose

If you have decided to use a 40A breaker, the home charger won't help you at all. The Tesla Mobile charger (normally $300) is the long cable with smaller module on it and plug in adaptors. The Nema 14-50 adaptor will give you about 30A, the 40A breaker and wiring is correct.

The Tesla wall charger can do up to 80A but does your car support that or is it a model with 48A on board support. Those are the reason for the wall charger for about $500 more. If your car supports only 48A, then its a 60A breaker and wiring. If your car supports 80A, then its 100A breaker and wiring.

Also, the 60A breaker and wiring is the general recommendation these days as EV's will be more prevalent and its a good alternative for the future even if you stick with the Nema 14-50 only, so you can add bigger chargers later.

OMG! My head is spinning! LOL!

Guys, thanks really for all your replies. I'm coming from the Range Rover forum which is one of the least hospitable boards I've ever belonged to. I'm so happy to join a thriving community where owners are happy to help a newbie!

@golferguy I need to process your reply because all this is new and I know nothing about it. Per my electrician, the breaker panel we are pulling from has room for a 40A breaker. I don't know if it has room for more. I'll have to ask him.

Also, because it is pre-owned, I don't know if the car is coming with a charging cable or not. The Tesla sales advisor said she didn't know. Maybe I can push a little and ask her to find out?

Regardless, I think there is one factor that is really swaying me to the Tesla home charger is that the cord rests on the side of it. I've seen cheap cradles on Amazon with great reviews. But the cable goes into the cradle in the front and it sticks out of the wall a lot. My carport is not that wide and I take my dog to work every day, I can already see this being a huge maneuver between unplugging the car, opening the door, getting the dog in the car and making sure I don't hit the cable sticking out. I hope it doesn't sound petty. I just know myself :)

I'm going to re-read your reply and try to make better sense of it.

THANKS AGAIN! I feel very welcome by all of you.

Jose

OMG! My head is spinning! LOL!

Guys, thanks really for all your replies. I'm coming from the Range Rover forum which is one of the least hospitable boards I've ever belonged to. I'm so happy to join a thriving community where owners are happy to help a newbie!

@golferguy I need to process your reply because all this is new and I know nothing about it. Per my electrician, the breaker panel we are pulling from has room for a 40A breaker. I don't know if it has room for more. I'll have to ask him.

Also, because it is pre-owned, I don't know if the car is coming with a charging cable or not. The Tesla sales advisor said she didn't know. Maybe I can push a little and ask her to find out?

Regardless, I think there is one factor that is really swaying me to the Tesla home charger is that the cord rests on the side of it. I've seen cheap cradles on Amazon with great reviews. But the cable goes into the cradle in the front and it sticks out of the wall a lot. My carport is not that wide and I take my dog to work every day, I can already see this being a huge maneuver between unplugging the car, opening the door, getting the dog in the car and making sure I don't hit the cable sticking out. I hope it doesn't sound petty. I just know myself :)

I'm going to re-read your reply and try to make better sense of it.

THANKS AGAIN! I feel very welcome by all of you.

Jose

The wall charger cable plugs in to the side of the charger when charger/cable is not in use. The cable can wrap around and over the charger so it is not really in the way. Nothing extra needed. However the cable when plugged into the side rear of the car does stick out about a foot, IIRC. Good luck in your purchase and ownership of the vehicle

Yeah, you're probably going to get a link dump as the first response because there just aren't that many new questions after all these years, so they are probably already on here in some thread. But we're happy to answer follow-up things.

I read the other thread and I think I'm going to go with the wall charger. I know it's a big expense but I like the idea that it regulates current, communicates with the car and the app,
Regulate current isn't unique to the wall connector. The wall connector or mobile charging cable or any other kind of external connecting equipment will always announce the max current available to the car--that's its main function. And they don't actually communicate with the mobile app. That is only the car communicating with the app. (Technically it's car --> Tesla servers --> mobile app)
and it's pretty
Sure--it is that.
I need to process your reply because all this is new and I know nothing about it. Per my electrician, the breaker panel we are pulling from has room for a 40A breaker. I don't know if it has room for more. I'll have to ask him.
If you are using a 40A breaker, you won't be able to get any charging speed difference. As a couple of people are alluding to, there is an electric code thing, where these will only supply a constant level of 80% of the circuit rating, so 32A steady from a 40A circuit. That is the max the mobile charging cable will support anyway. The wall connector is capable of more, but if it's only on a 40A circuit, you configure it for that, and it still supplies 32A. And that's not bad--still a very capable charging rate.

Ummm... I don't get why people are so hung up (Ha HAA!) on this idea of feeling like it's necessary to put the handle into that front nook hanging place where it sticks out. I have one of the (exaggerated finger quotes) "official" Tesla plastic hanging mounts. It has that nook in the front to put the charging handle in, and I tried it a couple of times, but with how the cord kind of curves in from the side, the handle would never quite rest on that little tab to hang in there and kept falling out, so bleh, forget it. I just loop the cord over the hook a time or two, and it hangs flat against the wall--exactly how you want. That's certainly not a reason to pay for the wall connector.

My setup is the outlet with the mobile charging cord plugged into it, and it just stays there all the time, with the cord hanging on that hook on my garage wall. I only unplug it and take it with me maybe a couple of times a year on long trips out of town. And even with that, if I am going on interstates to another decent sized city, there are enough charging resources, I won't need to bring it to plug into some outlet somewhere. But if the coolness/pretty of the wall connector is good for you, go for it.

Hi guys,

I'm trying to wrap up my head around all the replies. Please tell me if I'm getting this right or wrong:

MY DRIVING HABITS
I drive around 20 miles x day avg. So I assume I'll be charging every 7 to 10 days. Based on my at-home schedule, I would usually let the car charge for about 10 to 12 hours overnight to charge. It could be longer on weekends.

TWO OPTIONS
Mobile Connector $275
Home Charger $500

MOBILE CONNECTOR
Less expensive
Same charging speed/capacity as home charger with a 40A breaker
Sufficient charging speed for regular overnight charging

HOME CHARGER
More expensive
No added charging benefit if I use a 40A breaker
Faster charging than mobile connector if I use a 60A, 80A, or 100A breaker AND my car supports it
A whole lot prettier! (hey, I'm being hones with myself, ha!)

UNKNOWNS
My ability to use a Nema 14-50 adapter is dependent on weather my car comes with a charging cable at all. If it doesn't, I have to start from scratch with one of the two options above (mobile connector or home charger)
I don't know what's in the car. My Tesla Sales Advisor said she doesn't know if the car comes with a charger cable at all. She said the car is a lease return and often owners don't return the charging cable.
I don't know if my car is 48A or if it supports 80A.

NEXT STEPS
I am going to push my sales advisor to find out if there is a charger in the car and if the car supports 48A or 80A. She has been VERY vague with specific answers. So we'll see what she says.

Thanks!

Jose

Hi guys,

I'm trying to wrap up my head around all the replies. Please tell me if I'm getting this right or wrong:

MY DRIVING HABITS
I drive around 20 miles x day avg. So I assume I'll be charging every 7 to 10 days. Based on my at-home schedule, I would usually let the car charge for about 10 to 12 hours overnight to charge. It could be longer on weekends.

This is incorrect. You should charge every day. Actually the manual suggests the car be plugged in whenever you are not using it. You can get away with missing a night or two, but charging every day is the norm, and should be considered a requirement at your home. Remember the car is never fully off, so the battery consumption is significant unless plugged in. Besides, in Florida, you are going to want to turn on the A/C long before you get in the car, It is just too hot. Chances are good that the cabin overheat protection will turn on the A/C even if you do not. It is much better if the car is plugged in when that happens. Up here in the midwest, I leave the heat on in the winter, and A/C on in the summer.

All cars purchased from Tesla come with a mobile connector. You can safely assume you will get one. It may be an older version 1, capable of 40 amps, or the newer model for 32 amps max. If you do not get one, you have been shorted.

I am fairly sure your 90D will be capable of charging at up 72 amps. The 75Ds, dropped back to 48, and of course anything brand new today, is limited to 48 amps. Easy enough to tell, climb in the car and look at the charging display while not plugged in. It will say either 72 or 48.

A 40 amp breaker serving your 14-50 outlet is barely adequate (personally I would consider it inadequate). The maximum charge rate supported is 32 amps (80% of 40amps), so you may have to manually reduce the charge rate if you have a 40 amp mobile connector. A 14-50 connector is capable of 50 amps if wired with 6 gauge wire, and a 50 amp breaker. Your electrician should be able to accommodate. The 14-50 connector is typically installed with a 40 amp breaker for an electric range, but you need more than that.

My X is capable of pulling 72 amps. I installed a 60 amp circuit and a wall connector, actually two wall connectors, since I have two cars. So I can charge either car ar 48 amps or both at 24 amps each (automatic).

Good luck, you will love it. Just don't try to minimize your charging time.

Last edited:
These have been answered before in previous replies in this thread.
All cars purchased from Tesla come with a mobile connector. You can safely assume you will get one. It may be an older version 1, capable of 40 amps, or the newer model for 32 amps max. If you do not get one, you have been shorted.
It's a used car. You can't safely assume it has that. Depends on whether the previous owner gave it back or not. I've seen a disturbing number of comments from people here on this forum who have talked about selling their old Tesla and intentionally keeping the charging cable it came with. Ultra-douchey move, but apparently a significant number of people do it.
Easy enough to tell, climb in the car and look at the charging display while not plugged in. It will say either 72 or 48.
Doesn't have the car yet, and isn't able to get that answer yet for now.

I would have him install a 60a breaker and 6awg wire. You will be equipped for either mobile or wall charger at up to 48a wall or mobile charger max 32a. I like the wall charger because I like to carry my mobile with me. I also bought an RV box with a 14-50 and mounted it out on my pole with a 50a breaker for guests.
I would not have your sparky use a 40a breaker. The materials savings is liittle or nothing on the smaller breaker and a couple bucks on 8awg but yes you could charge at 32a safely with those.

Hi everyone,

I decided to go with the home charger. My panel had room for a 60A breaker so it made sense. It’s all done and installed. Now I just need the darn car! LOL!

Thanks for your help.

Jose

Attachments

• B3F83341-5882-4F48-8466-7F8936BD3819.jpeg
    B3F83341-5882-4F48-8466-7F8936BD3819.jpeg
    420.6 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: Acps110
Hi guys,

MY DRIVING HABITS

TWO OPTIONS
Mobile Connector $275
Home Charger $500

MOBILE CONNECTOR
Less expensive
Same charging speed/capacity as home charger with a 40A breaker
Sufficient charging speed for regular overnight charging

HOME CHARGER
More expensive
No added charging benefit if I use a 40A breaker
Faster charging than mobile connector if I use a 60A, 80A, or 100A breaker AND my car supports it
A whole lot prettier! (hey, I'm being hones with myself, ha!)

UNKNOWNS
My ability to use a Nema 14-50 adapter is dependent on weather my car comes with a charging cable at all. If it doesn't, I have to start from scratch with one of the two options above (mobile connector or home charger)
I don't know what's in the car. My Tesla Sales Advisor said she doesn't know if the car comes with a charger cable at all. She said the car is a lease return and often owners don't return the charging cable.
I don't know if my car is 48A or if it supports 80A.

NEXT STEPS
I am going to push my sales advisor to find out if there is a charger in the car and if the car supports 48A or 80A. She has been VERY vague with specific answers. So we'll see what she says.

Thanks!

Jose

I've read this far in the thread and it seems you have received lots of good advice. It seems there are many, many knowledgeable Tesla owners here.

Let me just put my own spin on this.

From your statement of driving pattern you don't really need much home charging capability. You didn't say how often you significantly exceed your 20 miles per day number or how close you are to other charging you might use, such as a Supercharger or level 1 or level 2 charging you might use at work. I mention the work charging and also charging while shopping because of Ed Begley Jr's words, "ABC, Always Be Charging". Very useful advice which can make life easier at home.

So ignoring times when you put 100 miles or more on your EV, you could actually live a rich full life with level 1 charging at home. In 10-12 hours overnight you can put 10-12 kWh on your battery which is a lot more than 20 miles on any EV, double that in a model 3 or Y, so adequate cushion.

If you elect for even just a 30 amp, 240V circuit at 7.7 kW you will get 77 kWh in the 10 hours overnight, nearly the full 80% of a 100 kWh battery in normal usage. I say "normal usage" because it's better on the battery to not charge it above 90% where the most wear occurs or below 10% for the same reasons why you don't run your gas tank to empty... fear of being left out... all night waiting for a charge!

I actually was in that position just a few weeks ago. I had adequate charge left on the battery to reach town and hit the Supercharger after hitting the Supermarket. Reaching the supermarket, I only had 5% left (faster drain than expected from the cold perhaps), but that should be plenty to go the 7 miles to the SC. I spend a bit over an hour in the store and on getting back in the car showed 0% left!!!

I freaked a bit, realized something weird happened while the car was sitting and tried not to panic. Tesla was no help at all, not having anyone at the support center to explain what happened or if there was a way to get any range back. So I ended up plugging into a level 1 outlet waiting for the car to charge. There actually were no options for towing to a charger because of a storm approaching the next day and it was already in the evening. The first two or three hours put nothing on the battery. It seems even though the car had been driven some 30 miles the battery was so cold it would not take any charge. The weather was only right at freezing which is not unusual.

The point is keep your mobile cable in the car at all times it isn't being used and do NOT plan on running the battery below 10%. I had another experience in warm weather where the car said I would make the SC with 11% spare but over the last 50 miles changed its tune leaving me with zero range. I was fortunate enough to find the only working level 2 charger in Conway, South Carolina. After better part of an hour I felt I had enough to reach the SC. So this is a time when even 11% was not enough!

So keep your car charged up if it is convenient (80-90% charged up that is). Charge anytime you have the opportunity. Don't think you have to have the maximum charging capability in your home.

I almost forgot.... the cable lying on the floor while charging is a bit of a PITA. There is a hanger that keeps the cable out of the way when not in use.

About Us

I talked to this guy and offered a few suggestions... he had already thought of them and they were incorporated. It's about $100, shipped from somewhere in Europe.

The point is
Huh. I guess we draw two completely different points from what happened there.
I only had 5% left (faster drain than expected from the cold perhaps), but that should be plenty to go the 7 miles to the SC. I spend a bit over an hour in the store and on getting back in the car showed 0% left!!!
Yeah. The point I would draw from this would be to not ever do that. Driving it down to 5% left and then leaving it to sit for an hour at freezing point and then expecting to drive again is very likely to not go well.
I had adequate charge left on the battery to reach town and hit the Supercharger after hitting the Supermarket.
Well, no, you didn't. When it gets down to that last few %, it has just a little bit of energy left, and only because it's warm. If you stop and let it get cold, the battery will lose the capability to get that energy, and it will be gone, so you didn't really have that energy left for your last extra drive.
The point is keep your mobile cable in the car at all times it isn't being used and do NOT plan on running the battery below 10%.
So I would not say that is the point. I don't consider that an "and" statement. If you avoided doing the latter, you wouldn't have needed the former.

I know some people have that belief--that people should always keep a charging cable in the car, but if you are somewhat close to various charging resources in your city, I don't think that's a need, and this scenario does not show that. You just intentionally created an emergency for yourself that could have easily been avoided.

Hi everyone,

I decided to go with the home charger. My panel had room for a 60A breaker so it made sense. It’s all done and installed. Now I just need the darn car! LOL!

Thanks for your help.

Jose
There are 2 versions of the wall connector. One has a 8.5' cable and the other has an 18' cable and the price is the same. Be sure to get the one that works for your charging needs now, and in the future. We went with the 18' and happy we did since we now have 2 Teslas and can charge either without having to move the vehicle.