Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which charging adapter(s) do I need to purchase for new LR model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sbaimo

12/15 LR black/white 21” no FSD delivered 6/30
Jan 26, 2021
Hancock Park Los Angeles
I am taking my first long trip with my refreshed model s lr. I have only used my wall charger so far. This is my first ev. Please excuse my ignorance.
Which, if any NEMA adapter(s) should I purchase before my trip as I will not always be close to a Tesla supercharger? The car was delivered with a charging cable and some sort of connector.
Thanks in advance.

I am taking my first long trip with my refreshed model s lr. I have only used my wall charger so far. This is my first ev. Please excuse my ignorance.
Which, if any NEMA adapter(s) should I purchase before my trip as I will not always be close to a Tesla supercharger? The car was delivered with a charging cable and some sort of connector.
Thanks in advance.

Depending on where you would like to charge your car. If you have enough range to exclusively use Tesla Superchargers then skip the adapters.

Same if your hotels exclusively have Tesla Destination chargers.

If you think there will be only public chargers, then make sure you bring your J-1772 adapter.

If your plan to charge on camping grounds, most would have 50-ampere outlets so you need to buy a NEMA 14-50 adapter.

I carry the J-1772 (for public charge stations), the 5-15 adapter (rarely, I mean REALLY rarely use!), the 14-50 (used for my mobile charger at home since day 1, three years ago), and i added a 10-30 adapter for older dryer outlets (i've used this one a few times when visiting family that have the dryer outlet close to a place i can park and reach).

I'd say Superchargers are used 100 Percent of the time during my roadtrips of 250+ miles. Only when I'm parked for the night do i use ANY of the aforementioned adapters.

Enjoy the ride!

Depending on where you would like to charge your car. If you have enough range to exclusively use Tesla Superchargers then skip the adapters.

Same if your hotels exclusively have Tesla Destination chargers.

If you think there will be only public chargers, then make sure you bring your J-1772 adapter.

If your plan to charge on camping grounds, most would have 50-ampere outlets so you need to buy a NEMA 14-50 adapter.
You'd be surprised how common it is to only have like 1-5 campsites that have 50A outlets in an entire campground. That's why i made a TT30 adapter for my travels.

the car came with a 14-50 and a 5-15. ive made adapters for 3 and 4 prong dryers and one for the TT30. those are the most common you'll run across. but in traveling superchargers and destination chargers are more common than before and the J-1772 is the one i use the most.

Which, if any NEMA adapter(s) should I purchase before my trip as I will not always be close to a Tesla supercharger?
I know a lot of people think they may need something else, but rarely ever do. Superchargers first off should be able to cover you the vast majority of places you would go. If you want to browse those locations when you're not looking at the car's map, here's a good map of them: www.supercharge.info. Other than that, if it's a decent sized city, they almost certainly do have some public charging stations, and most of those have a J1772 connector, which the car comes with. So if you can arrange to hook up there and leave your car for a few hours, that would do pretty well.

If you want to see what is near the place you are going, the website/app called Plugshare is about the most current and comprehensive map of ALL kinds of charging resources to let you see what is available. That will help show if there is need for anything else.

I bought a bunch of stuff early on when I got my car in 2014, and some of it was helpful for a while, but it's 2021 now, and there's almost never any opportunity to use any of it anymore.

And we're a pretty good source of knowledge and experience of charging resources, so if you mention what area of city or state you're going to, we may have tips about it.

Reactions: ucmndd
Check your route with abetterrouteplanner.com which will give you an idea if you need to supplement your charging with more than Superchargers, destination chargers and J1772 Level 2 chargers. Plugshare.com is a resource if you are looking for places to charge using NEMA 14-50.

After 5.5years of Tesla ownership I hope you will find this helpful.
Cut & paste of a post I put in "My All Round Charging Kit" in Aug2021:
When I bought my Tesla in the spring of 2016 and, over the next year and a half, I bought a whole bunch of adapters. Chademo (necessary in the Maritimes in 2018 or sooner), 14-30, 10-30, TT-30 (nonTesla), 240v extension cord (24a with adapter to convert 14-50 and TT30 to 14-30), and the 14-50 that came with the car. I have used my 5-15 as much as all the others combined. Adapters were useful then but not so much now with so many more charging options around both superchargers and others. If you travel off the beaten path then the need increases eg. eastern New Brunswick, much of Nova Scotia, PEI. northeastern Ont., Manitoba north of the trans-Canada.
If I were starting over in 2021 I would first ask myself how much am I going off the beaten path? If yes I would get Chademo, Tesla extension cord
NEW! Tesla Extension Cord – EVSE Adapters or similar. I would tailor the rest on what I planned to do. If I was to be at RV parks then 14-50 and TT-30, if staying at friends then 14-30 or 10-30 is more likely to be useful, if campground in Ont. then TT-30, if traveling in the US 5-20 as I understand that they are quite common outdoor plugs there, if at a marina or yacht club then L5-30, if at a friend who is a welder then 6-50, if southern US then maybe 6-15 or 6-20 to use air conditioner plugs.
Overview of North American plugs: cosmacelf.net/Home%20Made%20Adapters.pdf
I keep hoping that Quick220 will make their product compatible with GFI circuits and not require opposite phases for their unit. I realize it would be more expensive/complicated but either 240v 12a or 120v 24a output would suit our Teslas just fine. This would become my second most useful plug after 5-15 and tied with Chademo and J1772.