Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which charging "cards" should I get

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another option would be to consider Tesla's "Destination Charging" partners. These are typically the better hotels and motels that have installed Tesla's HPWCs in their parking facilities.

Tesla Store, Service Centers and Chargers

While many of the establishments have charging speeds at >40A, your car's software will be able to reduce the current to 40A automatically. The establishments generally reserve them for customers only, and many have valet service to charge your car. The map lists a bunch of hotels in the Sta. Barbara area, and plenty more around the South Bay curve from Interstate 405.

You could arrange for a leisurely lunch on your journey north, or a leisurely lunch on your return trip, or spend the night. If something like this seems workable for your plan, I urge you to contact the establishment in advance of your planned arrival in order to notify them of your intent. They do not generally "reserve" these spots but if they know they might even be able to place a cone or other obstruction in front of the charger to deter ICEing. The 40A charge at a high-powered-wall-charger charges at about 25-29 MPH depending on voltage. A 2 1/2 hour lunch and stroll about could easily add 65 miles of range to assure reaching your destination without worry, since you can max charge to about 200, and an estimate from EVTripplanner indicates that your trip will need approximately 225 range miles.

One of the risks of relying on public J1772 chargers is that any plug-in vehicle is capable of using them. So, a planned excursion with a handful of public charging stations might result in them all in use when you arrive. Then, you would have to go to "Plan B." Not a fun way to go on a road trip!

I agree with what you say about public chargers - it's a gamble, and seeing the comments on plugshare doesn't lend good feelings. I like the Tesla company a lot but not willing to make a $2500 donation to them yet.

The hotels with tesla chargers are very nice - and expensive. I think they show up on plugshare too because I did look into them. We'll give the leisurely method a try and hope not to see our car on the back of a tow truck!

Another option would be to consider Tesla's "Destination Charging" partners. These are typically the better hotels and motels that have installed Tesla's HPWCs in their parking facilities.

Tesla Store, Service Centers and Chargers

While many of the establishments have charging speeds at >40A, your car's software will be able to reduce the current to 40A automatically. The establishments generally reserve them for customers only, and many have valet service to charge your car. The map lists a bunch of hotels in the Sta. Barbara area, and plenty more around the South Bay curve from Interstate 405.

You could arrange for a leisurely lunch on your journey north, or a leisurely lunch on your return trip, or spend the night. If something like this seems workable for your plan, I urge you to contact the establishment in advance of your planned arrival in order to notify them of your intent. They do not generally "reserve" these spots but if they know they might even be able to place a cone or other obstruction in front of the charger to deter ICEing. The 40A charge at a high-powered-wall-charger charges at about 25-29 MPH depending on voltage. A 2 1/2 hour lunch and stroll about could easily add 65 miles of range to assure reaching your destination without worry, since you can max charge to about 200, and an estimate from EVTripplanner indicates that your trip will need approximately 225 range miles.

One of the risks of relying on public J1772 chargers is that any plug-in vehicle is capable of using them. So, a planned excursion with a handful of public charging stations might result in them all in use when you arrive. Then, you would have to go to "Plan B." Not a fun way to go on a road trip!

I agree with what you say about public chargers - it's a gamble, and seeing the comments on plugshare doesn't lend good feelings. I like the Tesla company a lot but not willing to make a $2500 donation to them yet.
In hope you meant that in jest. What you would be doing by activating supercharging for $2500 is un-crippling the car so it can be used for long distance trips as intended. Tesla sold the 60's with supercharging optional to keep the base price down, now it's included in every car as it always should have been. You live in California, land of the superchargers. I could see questioning activating supercharging if you lived somewhere without much access to superchargers yet, but in California? You really don't know what you're missing.

Yeah, that's some really wrong information you have there. $450 gets you the adapter, and the SC will need to enable L3 DCFC on the car. That doesn't mean you're entitled to Supercharging, though. Many months ago, they wanted you to have Supercharging enabled. That hasn't been the case since before the thing was released.
I'm glad I'm wrong $1900 seemed like a lot to enable HW that was already in the car.

It is a little strange that the item for enabling the the onboard Hardware is still in the store on the CHAdeMo page. I guess they just never undated the web site.

Screen Shot 2015-06-13 at 4.07.14 PM.png

I think this is correct. That's why the web site says "from $450", not "$450" for the CHAdeMO adapter. For 60s that have not had supercharging activated, you can either pay $2500 to activate supercharging and buy the CHAdeMO adapter for an additional $450, and have both, or you can pay $1900 to activate the DC fast charging hardware and get a CHAdeMO adapter included in that price, but you don't get access to the supercharging network that way.

For S60s without SC enabled, the $1900 gets you the CHAdeMO adapter and the hardware activated in the car. Or, for $2950, you get Supercharging enabled AND a CHAdeMO adapter (and the ability to use it).

Enabling Supercharging makes your car worth more, and you can use them. If it were up to me, I'd spend the extra $1050 to get Supercharging along with CHAdeMO. What are the odds you can go from CHAdeMO enabled to Supercharger enabled for only $1050? They'll probably charge the full $2500.

Do you want to pay $4400 for Supercharging, CHAdeMO and the adapter or just $2950?

Holy, crap - these SC people simply do not know what they are talking about regarding this adapter. Friday I was told that I could by the $450 adapter and charge with no other changes to the car. Today I'm being told that I MUST get supercharger enabled AND by the adapter. I suspect the $1900 is correct but then showing up to the SC to have the "onboard hardware activated" will be fun when they don't even know about this - at least at the San Diego SC. In fact, the guy at the SC told me getting supercharger enabled would only cost me $1000. I seriously doubt it. Don't they send these guys to school?

At $1900 it's obviously not worth it and the paying the $2500 would be the way to go.

UPDATE: After much arguing, the SC guy said he'd look into it and call me back. @liuping was correct. $1900 for chademo with software upgrade. Not worth it.

I'm glad I'm wrong $1900 seemed like a lot to enable HW that was already in the car.

It is a little strange that the item for enabling the the onboard Hardware is still in the store on the CHAdeMo page. I guess they just never undated the web site.

View attachment 84000

Last edited:
I think what you ran into is that there aren't that many owners with cars sold without superchargers enabled that also know about the chademo adaptor and want to buy it, so it's not something that comes up often for those guys at the service center. Couple this with the changes they've made to the policy and price for using it with non supercharger enabled cars, and the price changes for the adaptor itself, and you've got a wad of confusion. You'd think they could just look at the current info in their system and that'd be that, but I suspect (without hard proof) that their system has burned them in the past by reflecting not up to date or inconsistent information. So sometimes there is this conflict behind their direct experience and their different documentation sources, and it leads to the unfortunate interaction you saw.
Odd to consider, but we here often see more of tesla than the average guy at a service center does in some ways. I expect far more people have posted here and talked about their chademo experiences and interaction with tesla than the single service center has ever seen.

I'm glad you got an answer, though sorry it wasn't the best one for you. It's funny, but I'm pretty sure I remember at one point before they had lowered the price, they had said they were removing the charge for enabling it (but not Supercharging). Then I guess they lowered the price and no longer wanted to throw it in. Don't know if that was just talk, invented memory, or if anyone ever actually bought one at the higher price but then didn't have to pay to enable it on their non supercharging car.

If you ever decide you might take many trips at all, supercharging is absolutely worth it, and I'd definitely do that before doing the chademo adaptor. Afterwards you could always add the adaptor too for just 450 if you felt the supercharger network wasn't enough, but it's already arguably far better and getting more so.

btw, I had more regarding service center interactions, but it got long and too preachy anyway, and was increasingly off topic for this thread. I split it out to here

I'm sure you're right on all points. I guess I'm a penny-pincher at heart and I won't spend money on stuff I don't need. I can think of a dozen things I'd rather do with $2500. I would have been happy to keep the Leaf if the range had 30 more miles or so. That said, life is so, so much better driving a Tesla so I'm glad I bought one.

I'll take this trip using L2 and see how it goes. For the OP, whose thread I unwittingly usurped, I signed up for evgo and chargepoint cards. I have a blink card already for what it's worth (not much).

I think what you ran into is that there aren't that many owners with cars sold without superchargers enabled that also know about the chademo adaptor and want to buy it, so it's not something that comes up often for those guys at the service center. Couple this with the changes they've made to the policy and price for using it with non supercharger enabled cars, and the price changes for the adaptor itself, and you've got a wad of confusion. You'd think they could just look at the current info in their system and that'd be that, but I suspect (without hard proof) that their system has burned them in the past by reflecting not up to date or inconsistent information. So sometimes there is this conflict behind their direct experience and their different documentation sources, and it leads to the unfortunate interaction you saw.
Odd to consider, but we here often see more of tesla than the average guy at a service center does in some ways. I expect far more people have posted here and talked about their chademo experiences and interaction with tesla than the single service center has ever seen.

I'm glad you got an answer, though sorry it wasn't the best one for you. It's funny, but I'm pretty sure I remember at one point before they had lowered the price, they had said they were removing the charge for enabling it (but not Supercharging). Then I guess they lowered the price and no longer wanted to throw it in. Don't know if that was just talk, invented memory, or if anyone ever actually bought one at the higher price but then didn't have to pay to enable it on their non supercharging car.

If you ever decide you might take many trips at all, supercharging is absolutely worth it, and I'd definitely do that before doing the chademo adaptor. Afterwards you could always add the adaptor too for just 450 if you felt the supercharger network wasn't enough, but it's already arguably far better and getting more so.

btw, I had more regarding service center interactions, but it got long and too preachy anyway, and was increasingly off topic for this thread. I split it out to here

I live in So Cal, so I signed up for BLINK and CHARGEPOINT. At our office, they have CHARGEPOINT in the parking structure. My travel are usually up and down California with occasion to Las Vegas. So I double, I need some of the charging station found mainly on Mid West or East Coast.