Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which (classic) car would you like to see converted?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To follow up on my mid '70s Eldorado convertible post earlier, here is a purchase that I made a few months ago:

1974%20eldorado%201.jpg

Reactions: SteelClouds
ICON4x4 • HAND MADE IN LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA
EV West - Electric Vehicle Parts, Components, EVSE Charging Stations, Electric Car Conversion Kits

You can find many others. Chip Foose to do as a TV Project or Monkey Garage ? think out of the box.

good luck, have fun, make friends, help them and they may return the favor someday.
I contacted EV West but my 20 year old Land Rover was not deemed worthy. Exploring other options. May work up the courage to DIY with my son in law who is a competent wrencher. Looks like a salvage Model 3 motor and batteries would be the best option. Just need to interface with the transfer case.
Fortunately, the car keeps running on the old ICE for now.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
I contacted EV West but my 20 year old Land Rover was not deemed worthy. Exploring other options. May work up the courage to DIY with my son in law who is a competent wrencher. Looks like a salvage Model 3 motor and batteries would be the best option. Just need to interface with the transfer case.
Fortunately, the car keeps running on the old ICE for now.
Tesla motors are designed for axles.

Other motors you can bolt to your transmission. Much simpler.
200 hp for +20 year old vehicle is plenty. Only need about 30 hp to cruise on the freeway.

Can't easily make a Tesla in Land Rover clothing.
You can much more easily put in an electric motor (remove engine/exhaust/gas tank) add batteries.

get it? internet & youtube can inspire/show how it can be done

Tesla motors are designed for axles.

Other motors you can bolt to your transmission. Much simpler.
200 hp for +20 year old vehicle is plenty. Only need about 30 hp to cruise on the freeway.

Can't easily make a Tesla in Land Rover clothing.
You can much more easily put in an electric motor (remove engine/exhaust/gas tank) add batteries.

get it? internet & youtube can inspire/show how it can be done
Yes, thank you.
I've been thinking about it a lot (as well as YouTube, etc.) but I'm not sure I "get it" yet.
The Tesla model 3 motor is attractive because of efficiency and up to 16,000 rpm. I wouldn't use any of the transaxle. Just bolt the motor to the transfer case.
One thing that bothers me about most EV conversions is that they keep the old transmission. Seems like dragging around a lot of fragile weight.

After 18 years of secret development as the successor to the Traction Avant, the DS 19 was introduced on 5 October 1955 at the Paris Motor Show. In the first 15 minutes of the show, 743 orders were taken, and orders for the first day totalled 12,000.[7] During the 10 days of the show, the DS took in 80,000 deposits; a record that stood for over 60 years,[8] until it was eclipsed by the Tesla Model 3 which received 180,000 first day deposits in March 2016.[9]
Citroën DS - Wikipedia
Worth a read - many interesting details.

Reactions: mspohr
Yes, thank you.
I've been thinking about it a lot (as well as YouTube, etc.) but I'm not sure I "get it" yet.
The Tesla model 3 motor is attractive because of efficiency and up to 16,000 rpm. I wouldn't use any of the transaxle. Just bolt the motor to the transfer case.
One thing that bothers me about most EV conversions is that they keep the old transmission. Seems like dragging around a lot of fragile weight.
16,000 rpm I THINK is way too much for any transmission. Rear differential ?? Again, it may be too many rpms.
You can calculate the numbers. Seems most people put Tesla motors on the rear axle.

EV West does have slower rpm motors that connect to the transmission - some adapters also.. Simple solution if you don't need Tesla type performance. Fine for around town vehicle. Highway cruiser? not so sure. EV West or Rich Rebuilds - seems an hour of consulting money well invested.

No one sees to think conversions "worth the money" it is better to buy an electric. You do the conversion cause you love the car and not to save money - which seems you never do. My personal opinion after watching/reading about people's conversion projects [EVwest and Rich, Jack Rickard and others].

PS - Transmissions can out last engines. Worn out engine doesn't mean transmission is worn out.

Last edited:
16,000 rpm I THINK is way too much for any transmission. Rear differential ?? Again, it may be too many rpms.
You can calculate the numbers. Seems most people put Tesla motors on the rear axle.

EV West does have slower rpm motors that connect to the transmission - some adapters also.. Simple solution if you don't need Tesla type performance. Fine for around town vehicle. Highway cruiser? not so sure. EV West or Rich Rebuilds - seems an hour of consulting money well invested.

No one sees to think conversions "worth the money" it is better to buy an electric. You do the conversion cause you love the car and not to save money - which seems you never do. My personal opinion after watching/reading about people's conversion projects [EVwest and Rich, Jack Rickard and others].

PS - Transmissions can out last engines. Worn out engine doesn't mean transmission is worn out.
I've done the calculation for my Land Rover and it comes out to about 6000 rpm at 80 mph hooking the motor to the transfer case. Reasonable for most electric motors.
At 200,000 miles, both the motor and transmission are worn out and need replacement.
Still, not worth the time and money to do the conversion. I'll get a Cybertruck.

Reactions: Brando