Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which country is the internet linked to

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I was using the internet in the car and I think it assumes I’m somewhere in Europe and the bbc website defaults to works service.
Also I’m pretty sure YouTube was set as Dutch with Dutch or German adverts that I’ve never see.

how do I change it to the uk as default?

Unfortunately, the sim-card is issued in the Netherlands and you are getting an IP address that relates to that. Not sure if there is a solution to this but I agree, it's a bit of a pain when we're locked out from using UK services such as iPlayer even though we are in UK...

I assume we can tether to the car to our phone thus enabling us to use UK data?
Yup,

Either from your phone or a MiFi unit you've got access to.

For full screen on iplayer if you're after it - I usually find myself opening up the native youtube app in the car > going to "help" or one of the "terms and condition pages" to get access to the 3x3 'dots' in the top right hand corner > provides access to google search > iplayer > voila!

Note: make sure you're on your UK specific tether connection _BEFORE_ opening youtube / heading iplayer or else the car will still have the browser memory of you being 'in the netherlands' :)

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Jez_GB and Bantam
Another reason to not renew my premium. Music I can stream from my phone and still skip tracks from the car, so Netflix etc need you to be parked - assume it’ll automatically connect to a hotspot once in park? So just turn it on on the phone and wait a minute?

Another reason to not renew my premium. Music I can stream from my phone and still skip tracks from the car, so Netflix etc need you to be parked - assume it’ll automatically connect to a hotspot once in park? So just turn it on on the phone and wait a minute?
Netflix, Youtube, Music, Browser - all of it will latch off your phone/MiFi happily when you're parked up

Reactions: Mrklaw
Hi

I was using the internet in the car and I think it assumes I’m somewhere in Europe and the bbc website defaults to works service.
Also I’m pretty sure YouTube was set as Dutch with Dutch or German adverts that I’ve never see.

how do I change it to the uk as default?
Unfortunately, the services are Netherlands based, for youtube and netflix once i'm signed in as my accounts I get the languages back in English, although still get youtube ads from the Netherlands (makes it interesting if I can't skip the ad!!!) Netflix has had all the shows I was watching on my UK account so far, so not sure on region specific limitations there.

Unfortunately, the services are Netherlands based, for youtube and netflix once i'm signed in as my accounts I get the languages back in English, although still get youtube ads from the Netherlands (makes it interesting if I can't skip the ad!!!) Netflix has had all the shows I was watching on my UK account so far, so not sure on region specific limitations there.
I may be wrong....but the "data service" is the only element that is regional (i.e. the 4G LTE SIM card Tesla utilises is Netherland 'locked') however the services - youtube, netflix etc are all agnostic and latch onto the geolocation of the IP address assigned to your vehicle 'at that time'

If you parked up and had a router/mifi with a VPN service that was connected to the UK, then upon the car connecting to that wifi connection your services will be looking towards the UK, similar as if you were abroad and your laptop or phone were accessing netflix and you only saw content available in australia or spain...

Just required a bit of inventiveness to get around, but certainly doable.