Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which cybertruck did you preorder?

Which cybertruck did you pre order?

• Single motor

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Dual motor

Votes: 38 38.4%
  • Tri Motor

Votes: 60 60.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I added the FSD originally cause I knew this would happen, but as we get closer I am actually thinking I may not get it. That takes the truck from being a $60K+ investment to being a $70K+ investment (after taxes and delivery) so I may just wait for a sale, like there already have been a few times on my current TM3. Sadly I paid for FSD upfront on that vehicle so I paid $3000 instead of the $2000 it went on sale for now twice, if I include the sale that ended yesterday. Plus paying upfront increases the value of the car in the mind of the state who charges tax and registration and re-registration on the cheaper car that you can always add the FSD to later.

I am worried that there will be some trick that the tri-motor has that I will miss out on with the dual-motor, but not range nor performance, I am worried that they might allow each of the two packs in the tri-motor to be charged individually. Elon said at the announcement it would charge at 250kW+ and that they would explain that later. So if they wired the packs together going to the car, but separately to the chargeports you could take two spaces and plug it into two superchargers at once. Charging in half the time.

Like they will have to do with the Semi, have four packs each connecting to its own motor and then when you plug into a charger have each Supercharger station charge one of the four packs. Or like my big diesel motorhome with a 150-gallon tank that has two openings so you can connect to a pump on each side.

Last edited:
Total cost of ownership for a Tri is less than any comparable ICE vehicle, especially after 250,000 miles.
If you’re going to have it a long time, may as well get maxed out.

500/14000/2.9/FSD petty much covers any scenario short of really revolutionary tech for decades.

Anything less saves some coin now, but is more likely to hit “can’t do that” where you’d be willing to spend more retroactively.

I was quite impressed with the zero to sixty on the tri motor and the increased range so I preordered it. However, i feel as though it is a bit overpriced between the dual motor and the tri. Im thinking about reserving the dual motor as I do not tow anything. Im still on the fence about this. Does anyone think that the price jump between the dual and tri is justifiable?

The cost of a Tri is more than covered by gas & repair savings.

The Tri doesn’t cost more, you’re just paying a lower cost earlier.

...now if I could just get my wife to understand this truism...
Can you explain how the tri motor will be cheaper than the dual motor? You lost me there since they both share the benefits of lower maintenance and the same energy costs.

Dan

I think he is trying to justify getting a cT instead of an ICE truck to his wife, not comparing the 300-mile range to the 500-mile range. Though if you were looking for a cT that could do 320+ miles on a single charge there is only the one, the tri-motor.

I so rarely use the full range of my TM3 that I am hard-pressed to spend the extra $10,000 on the dual, but I did miss out on AWD on our 3, so if I am going to the cabin in a threat of snow I can feel comfortable that I have the right car. Though perhaps the ground clearance is more important than the AWD in snowy conditions. So hard to decide.

Got the tri. I think I can save enough in the next 2 years for a decent down payment. If Tesla ever gives the option of LR for the dual motor, I don't think it would go past 400 mile range or it would take sales from the tri. The LR version of the Model 3 is also about $9k. With this, you get 200 more range and an extra motor. That's how I justify it anyways