Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which device is the leader?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got solar and powerwalls (PW+ x2, PW2 x2, gateway x2). I'm confused as to which of the 6 boxes are the "leader" when it comes to reporting metrics. I'm assuming it's one of the 2 gateways. Does the app aggregate everything already? It shows PW battery at 75 on one screen and in details it says 100%. I'm reserving 20% for backup so assumed the main screen shows 80% at most...but, that's not the case it seems. Why does one screen say 100% and the other less than?

I'm also trying to setup powerwall dashboard (github) but that's overwhelming with stats I can't read. No idea how to read it yet. When setting up it asks for the IP of some device---assuming that's the "leader"/gateway (no. 1)?

Anyway, just curious about the tesla app's 2 different percentages for the powerwall(s).

Anyway, just curious about the tesla app's 2 different percentages for the powerwall(s).

I only have (2) powerwall 2s and (1) powerwall gateway, so I dont have personal experience with your type of setup (like someone like @h2ofun would). With that being said, one PV "system" with "system" being powerwall(s), solar, and a gateway, only supports up to a max of 200 amp service.

What you described you have, is basically 2 separate systems, with 2 powerwalls each. You dont have 4 powerwalls and 1 system, you have 2 systems, each with 2 powerwalls and 1 gateway. That is why you are seeing two different sets of numbers. One of your systems is at 100% and the other is at 80%.

You probably need to set a reserve for each system, at least that would be my guess. Someone with 2 separate systems on their home like you have would need to confirm.

I only have (2) powerwall 2s and (1) powerwall gateway, so I dont have personal experience with your type of setup (like someone like @h2ofun would). With that being said, one PV "system" with "system" being powerwall(s), solar, and a gateway, only supports up to a max of 200 amp service.

What you described you have, is basically 2 separate systems, with 2 powerwalls each. You dont have 4 powerwalls and 1 system, you have 2 systems, each with 2 powerwalls and 1 gateway. That is why you are seeing two different sets of numbers. One of your systems is at 100% and the other is at 80%.

You probably need to set a reserve for each system, at least that would be my guess. Someone with 2 separate systems on their home like you have would need to confirm.
Yes that’s correct. I have two 200A panels each backed up by a gateway and set of power walls.

Yep, for all practical reasons, my 2 GW's, one had 15kw solar, and 3 batteries, the other 15kw solar and 4 batteries. Each drive a 200amp
subpanel. These might as well be on different houses since nothing shares to each other basically.
I still would like to change it to all the solar and PW's on one GW and panel, but I did not find a way to do until after my install was done,
and so far, my installer is not interested in changing, even though it would not be hard and would be fully to code. :(

Yep, for all practical reasons, my 2 GW's, one had 15kw solar, and 3 batteries, the other 15kw solar and 4 batteries. Each drive a 200amp
subpanel. These might as well be on different houses since nothing shares to each other basically.
I still would like to change it to all the solar and PW's on one GW and panel, but I did not find a way to do until after my install was done,
and so far, my installer is not interested in changing, even though it would not be hard and would be fully to code. :(
How is your setup represented in the Tesla app? For example, on the main screen mine has a Powerwall 2X and might say 77%. And when I tap on the details for Powerwall charge level it says 100%. So I’m wondering which one’s correct. Is one of them representing an aggregated charge level for all batteries?

I take it there’s no way to see the breakdown between the two systems within the Tesla app. I guess I’d have to log into each gateway to see any stats for each system.

They wouldn't do the change even if you paid them for it?

I would think that you could swipe between the two systems, like you can between tesla vehicles.
Can't swipe, but I've figured out how to log into each gateway for stats. The app is apparently not capable of this breakdown. Seems they installed mine like yours---50/50. Unfortunately, both of my ACs are on one panel and thus hits 2 batteries hard. I'd say those 2 batteries are hit with 70-80% of total house load which is absurd.

I wish I'd understood this more before they independently determined how to wire it all. Wish they would've asked first. Thought going thru Tesla for solar and batteries would be a bit more---well, smarter. The main panels are even labeled as AC1, AC2 so you'd think that would give them pause. Guess not.

Too bad there's no load balancing possible between 2 systems/gateways. Don't even think the span panel can do that.

Can't swipe, but I've figured out how to log into each gateway for stats. The app is apparently not capable of this breakdown. Seems they installed mine like yours---50/50. Unfortunately, both of my ACs are on one panel and thus hits 2 batteries hard. I'd say those 2 batteries are hit with 70-80% of total house load which is absurd.

I wish I'd understood this more before they independently determined how to wire it all. Wish they would've asked first. Thought going thru Tesla for solar and batteries would be a bit more---well, smarter. The main panels are even labeled as AC1, AC2 so you'd think that would give them pause. Guess not.

Too bad there's no load balancing possible between 2 systems/gateways. Don't even think the span panel can do that.
Its @h2ofun that has the 2 systems, not me, but I know what you ment 👍 .

How is your setup represented in the Tesla app? For example, on the main screen mine has a Powerwall 2X and might say 77%. And when I tap on the details for Powerwall charge level it says 100%. So I’m wondering which one’s correct. Is one of them representing an aggregated charge level for all batteries?

I take it there’s no way to see the breakdown between the two systems within the Tesla app. I guess I’d have to log into each gateway to see any stats for each system.
I have three screens in my tesla app now. The first is for my MY EV. I then swipe and it goes to my first GW. This has 15kw solar and 4 PW's
I swipe again and it goes to the second GW, 15kw solar, 3 PWs.
Main screen shows the % charged. I had never tapped the PW, so I did. At the bottom is says 100%, no idea what that means.
The front page is the correct info. With nice weather like now, I have producing at least 20kw by noon. Depending on if my heat pump is one, for heat or air, I worst case maybe back to 100% on all PW's around noon. I then if needed plug in my EV so I can charge using the excess before it gets sent back to PGE.

Anyone know if it will be possible to move one or two circuits from one main panel to the other—-effectively balancing the load among the 2 GW/PW systems? I’m waiting for PTO and tesla support isn’t sure. I would think an electrician could move one circuit from one main to another main without affecting any Tesla stuff since tesla stuff is further down the chain so to speak.

For example, I’ve got 2 ACs on one main panel which is taxing the hell out of it 2 backup batteries while the other 2 batteries sit idle and unable to assist. I’d like to move one of the 2 ACs to the other panel so the other set of batteries share the burden.

Last edited:
Anyone know if it will be possible to move one or two circuits from one main panel to the other—-effectively balancing the load among the 2 GW/PW systems? I’m waiting for PTO and tesla support isn’t sure. I would think an electrician could move one circuit from one main to another main without affecting any Tesla stuff since tesla stuff is further down the chain so to speak.

For example, I’ve got 2 ACs on one main panel which is taxing the hell out of it 2 backup batteries while the other 2 batteries sit idle and unable to assist. I’d like to move one of the 2 ACs to the other panel so the other set of batteries share the burden.
As long as the location you move the load to is metered then your electrician won't have any surprises if he moves one branch circuit and follows code.