Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which do you prefer - old center console or new center console

Which console do you like better

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not the only factor influencing my decision, but it's out there. Might get a car that has the old center console. Had been hoping to find one with the new center console. When I learned that the car assigned had the old one I was kinda bummed.

Wanted to get feedback. I know that some like the old one better than the new. And I saw negative comments about the new one, how it kills the aesthetics, ugly design.

Finally, I know that the biggest complaint of the shiny surface is easily remedied with a wrap, which I would probably do. Anyway, which do you like and why?

My Y has the new one and it's my first Tesla do haven't really seen the old one other than in a Tesla store.

Other than the sliding vs the flip open and the glossy finish... what are the big differences? The wireless charging area?

Model 3 / Model Y Classic Console:

Flip down cover for wireless charging pad (charges up to 2 phones)
Wireless charging pad flips up for access to (1) USB-C, (1) USB-A port; the wireless charging pad is normally plugged into the USB-C port, the Dashcam and Sentry Mode memory storage device needs to be inserted into the USB-A port (USB-A data port was later relocated to the glovebox, a second USB-C port was added to the refreshed console, not sure if original console received the second USB-C port after the USB-A port was moved to the glovebox in those vehicles that retained the Classic Console but have the USB-A port in the glovebox.)
Flip up cover for large, lighted center compartment
Piano black glossy finish
(2) cup holders; the cup holders let cups move around depending on the size of the base of the cup
Armrest flips open to reveal a removable tray
12V accessory port (located in arm rest compartment, behind the cup holders and under the removable tray on the side of the arm rest compartment closest to driver's seat.) I believe the arm rest compartment also has a light.

Biggest annoyances with the Classic Console:
Glossy piano black finish shows dust, dirt and fingerprints
If you place an item, even a small item, towards the back edge of the lid of the center compartment many times this will release the magnetic catch that holds the lid closed. (I am in the habit of leaving the wireless charging pad cover and the center compartment lid open.)

Last edited:
Matted, awesome.
20210307_103736.jpg

Model 3 / Model Y Classic Console:

Flip down cover for wireless charging pad (charges up to 2 phones)
So new one still charges 2 phones.
Wireless charging pad flips up for access to (1) USB-C, (1) USB-A port; the wireless charging pad is normally plugged into the USB-C port, the Dashcam and Sentry Mode memory storage device needs to be inserted into the USB-A port (USB-A data port was later relocated to the glovebox, a second USB-C port was added to the refreshed console, not sure if original console received the second USB-C port after the USB-A port was moved to the glovebox in those vehicles that retained the Classic Console but have the USB-A port in the glovebox.)
Flip up cover for large, lighted center compartment
I like the flip cover on the old one (just saw a YouTube video for it)... giving better access to the center compartment.
Piano black glossy finish
(2) cup holders; the cup holders let cups move around depending on the size of the base of the cup
Hmm... old one seems to have better cup holder then.
Armrest flips open to reveal a removable tray
12V accessory port (located in arm rest compartment, behind the cup holders and under the removable tray on the side of the arm rest compartment closest to driver's seat.) I believe the arm rest compartment also has a light.
This also seems better. Is there a 12v port on the new one? I haven't really looked. Just discovered the USB drive and port in the glove yesterday.
Biggest annoyances with the Classic Console:
Glossy piano black finish shows dust, dirt and fingerprints
If you place an item, even a small item, towards the back edge of the lid of the center compartment many times this will release the magnetic catch that holds the lid closed. (I am in the habit of leaving the wireless charging pad cover and the center compartment lid open.)
I like the slide as my old vehicle's middle console had that but it seems like the older console had more space/tricks.

So new one still charges 2 phones.

I like the flip cover on the old one (just saw a YouTube video for it)... giving better access to the center compartment.

Hmm... old one seems to have better cup holder then.

This also seems better. Is there a 12v port on the new one? I haven't really looked. Just discovered the USB drive and port in the glove yesterday.

I like the slide as my old vehicle's middle console had that but it seems like the older console had more space/tricks.
Both consoles have a wireless charging pad that will accept two phones. The dimensions/design of the charging pad on the updated console may work better with some of the larger phones. The wireless charging pad on the Classic Console is removable, easy to replace if it ever stops working. Not sure how easy it would be to replace the wireless charging pad in the new console since it is built into the console.

There should be a 12V accessory power port inside the center armrest bin of the updated console, same location as on the Classic Console. On the updated console there are (2) USB-C ports inside the center compartment. The USB-C ports can be hard to locate, see as these ports are tiny, black surrounded by black flocking material. The (2) USB-C ports are side by side, located down inside the center console compartment just in front of the two cup holders, about 3/4 down inside the center compartment.

Reactions: BigNerd
The original shiny black console is very nice, and matches the white interior well, everything just looks so crisp. The new console seemed cheaper looking to me, maybe I'm a sucker for nice shiny things... the scratches could easily be buffed out with plastx, we'll see how it goes after a year.

keeping it clean takes a few seconds which I don't mind, apply some mequiars quick interior detailer with a microfiber towel and its good to go.. no big deal.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: tierneyalvin
Visually, I prefer the look of the old one, especially with a wrap. But functionally, I prefer the new one because with the old one, I constantly have a fear of accidentally opening the lid while small objects are on it and risk falling into the unretrievable void that opens in the gap.

I think the real reason Tesla changed the console was not because the piano black was hard to keep clean, or any other functional reason, but to cut manufacturing costs.

The old console was more complicated with its doors that even know if you pressed too hard when closing them to give you a messaging on the display.

The new console looks like something that would be right at home in the "cheapest car sold in America."

I think the real reason Tesla changed the console was not because the piano black was hard to keep clean, or any other functional reason, but to cut manufacturing costs.

The old console was more complicated with its doors that even know if you pressed too hard when closing them to give you a messaging on the display.

The new console looks like something that would be right at home in the "cheapest car sold in America."

This was my thoughts too, the newer console seems like a downgrade to cut costs... still functional just not as nice.

Keep in mind it was designed as a luxury vehicle, if you look at 2021 audis and Mercedes they are full of piano black..

yeah its a pain to keep clean but it adds to the luxury appearance.

ciimmwjsyl951.jpg

2021-audi-s3-sportback-interior.jpg

P90389075-the-new-bmw-540i-sedan-mineralwhite-metallic-05-2020-2248px.jpg

Last edited:
They don't call it Class-ic for nuthin'.

Tesla is after simple, inexpensive to make.
And that's great. But they started out with
a specific esthetic. Where's the 3's leather
wrapped steering wheel now? It's like that.

So dig, a Model 3 is not a Model S, and little
by little the 3's been getting fonkier, plastikier.
Find a clean Classic M3 and you'll be happy.

I like the old console and played with it in my friend's model 3. I think the new console looks cheap. But when I got my car that came with the new console, and seeing it in person. I like it more and it doesn't look or feel cheap at all. In fact, it matches the black interior pretty well

I like the old better because it looks sleeker, closes off the phone compartment, and has more room. The new one looks cheap and generic. There are a ton of options for customizing the old one (which can totally change the look of the car and really class it up), I haven’t seen anything comparable for the new one yet. My car will have the new one and I’m disappointed. At least the charger is supposed to work better.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ