Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which door style would you prefer, given what we know today

Which rear door style would you prefer, given what we know today

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far the Falcon Door votes far outweigh everything else.

I love the Falcon wing doors. Perfectly fine with the "flashy" and will likely lead to talking to people about Tesla.

They allow easy access to the 3rd row and getting by the 2nd row. The argument for the front is completely illogical in comparison.

Well, if the question is falcon wings yes or no, you can add the last 3 options together, and it's only about 2 to 1 in favor of falcon wings for those participating the survey so far. Personally, I voted for falcon wings. They are awesome, and will help me enjoy life much more than a roof rack would.

Some people kayak to enjoy life, others surf. Still others open and close the doors of their car. :biggrin:

I expect the latter activity to become much more popular with the advent of the X. Besides, X owners will have to give up kayaking for obvious reasons. :)

Maybe the frunk will be big enough to hold an Oru Kayak. If not, it could probably fit in the back.

Last edited:
Narrow parking is a moot point as the front doors are conventional.
Not necessarily. For a conventional door in the 2nd row, to exit the first row you have to wait for second row to exit and close the door first. With falcon wing doors you don't have to close the doors for everyone to exit. Even with sliding doors, it takes up some space in the back while it is open.

Ooh. I thought that was a joke until I hit the link. Very cool! Can they do the same thing with 10-foot long pieces of molding? Or Queen Sized Beds?

ha ha
but it should be AND, not Or :tongue:
AND the kayak - all at the same time of course

edit: oops, forgot to vote - picked falcon wings. Still the best (coolest) choice for this vehicle even w their now seemingly appearant drawback(s).

Last edited:
Not necessarily. For a conventional door in the 2nd row, to exit the first row you have to wait for second row to exit and close the door first. With falcon wing doors you don't have to close the doors for everyone to exit. Even with sliding doors, it takes up some space in the back while it is open.

But you still have to wait for the person to exit. I don't think this really changes anything. What I do think is a valid point is that there's not always a front passenger side occupant when there are occupants in the rear (kids specifically). In those cases, the passenger side could be close to an obstruction and occupants could exit driver's side. The opposite is true (driver stays in the car, occupants exit) when you're talking about ride services like Uber or similar. In those cases, the driver's side could be close to the obstruction.

Last edited:
But you still have to wait for the person to exit. I don't think this really changes anything. What I do think is a valid point is that there's not always a front passenger side occupant when there are occupants in the rear (kids specifically). In those cases, the passenger side could be close to an obstruction and occupants could exit driver's side. The opposite is true (driver stays in the car, occupants exit) when you're talking about ride services like Uber or similar. In those cases, the driver's side could be close to the obstruction.
I think without the rear door in the way both can exit at practically the same time. There is enough room for both the 2nd row passenger and driver to get out at the same time and the driver still being able to close the front doors. One person will still be behind the other when walking away from the car (if they both exit in same direction), but there is no waiting for doors to be closed.

Scissor Doors, cool and can have a roof rack, if only Elon had a pair of scissors at his desk instead of a statue of a falcon spreading its wings when he was thinking about what doors to have.:rolleyes:
the_t500_has_lamborghini_like_scissor_doors_large_95396.jpg

The argument for the front is completely illogical in comparison.

That would mean the only reason for the falcon wing doors is 3rd row access. That's a lot of things to give up, for occasional kiddie access. I need the third row for my next vehicle (according to wife and 2 kids), but given the choice of things to give up in order to have slightly better access to the 3rd row, I would prefer tilting seats/captains with passthrough over loss of roof rack/sunroof. I'm excited to see the doors in action, but would have been happy with the alternative.

That would mean the only reason for the falcon wing doors is 3rd row access. That's a lot of things to give up, for occasional kiddie access. I need the third row for my next vehicle (according to wife and 2 kids), but given the choice of things to give up in order to have slightly better access to the 3rd row, I would prefer tilting seats/captains with passthrough over loss of roof rack/sunroof. I'm excited to see the doors in action, but would have been happy with the alternative.
I have 2nd row captains chairs in my current SUV and drove to another state to buy this used vehicle where that was one of my requirements ... thus I get the point. In my case the 3rd row can be used for adults and this will be easier access for them than even captains chairs. Tho I'd be happy if the current Model X design allowed for remove/elimination of the middle 2nd row seat (or at least fold down for pass through carrying things).

Sounds like another made up problem to justify an imperfect solution. Keep them coming. It's entertaining..

Here's a serious question though. With conventional doors, if I open them into something and it gets damaged, it's 100% my fault. No dispute there and I bear full responsibility in getting it fixed. With the falcon doors using sensors to know when it's ok to open, if the sensors fail or there is some weird scenario where the doors hits an object and gets damaged, is it Tesla's responsibility now?

:smile:

Sounds like another made up problem to justify an imperfect solution. Keep them coming. It's entertaining..
I was responding to poster's claim that there is zero advantage to the falcon wing doors in a narrow parking situation, given the front doors are conventional. It's not necessarily going to be a common occurrence, but the advantage is not zero in that specific use case.

Here's a serious question though. With conventional doors, if I open them into something and it gets damaged, it's 100% my fault. No dispute there and I bear full responsibility in getting it fixed. With the falcon doors using sensors to know when it's ok to open, if the sensors fail or there is some weird scenario where the doors hits an object and gets damaged, is it Tesla's responsibility now?

Haha, the made up problem you're suggesting is equally entertaining. ;-)

Haha, the made up problem you're suggesting is equally entertaining. ;-)

Please, door dings are an everyday reality and not even remotely made up. Now if I were to say, "what if, hear me out, what if the safety mechanism failed on on the falcon door and instead of stopping when encountering resistance, actually decapitated a passenger. Would Tesla be responsible?" Now THAT was a made up problem that could never happen....