Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which door style would you prefer, given what we know today

Which rear door style would you prefer, given what we know today

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Snapshot. At this point the poll is not even remotely close. FW FTW
View attachment 94558

I thought these polls were meaningless :)
Anyway, what the poll shows is that of those who responded about a third would prefer different doors.
Now one could take a completely invalid and misleading and mathematically ridiculous extrapolation saying that of the 30k reservatoins, 10k would have preferred different doors. But that would be wrong.
What is valid is to say that there are 40 people who may or may not have reservations who would have preferred different doors.
Oh, and that are 86 people who may or may not have a reservation are happy that the Model X will launch with Falcon wing doors. Some of those people could be shorts hoping that because of those silly gimmicky doors the Model X will flop :)

Please, door dings are an everyday reality and not even remotely made up. Now if I were to say, "what if, hear me out, what if the safety mechanism failed on on the falcon door and instead of stopping when encountering resistance, actually decapitated a passenger. Would Tesla be responsible?" Now THAT was a made up problem that could never happen....
:smile:
As an analogy, I ride the office elevator every working day (more than 6 times in a day). And I feel safe with the automated door closing. It is not rocket science now. Oh wait, EM is into rocket science, so we should feel more at ease.:wink:

I don't think I've posted anywhere they are meaningless but I may have missed some post from others.

Besides polls are meaningful only if they show they perspective you want. i.e. I like the FW so I like the poll. Baha ... I suspect it is not statistically valid but fun none-the-less.

Time for the obligatory ohmman post. TMC polls are meaningless and unreliable. Placeholder before FlasherZ shows up and gets my back. Blah blah blah. Selective bias blah blah blah.

*The blah blah blahs in this message are taking the place of solid statistical science which supports the point above.

we cancelled our order of the X when we were told that Tesla had no plans to develop a roof wrack for it. the falcon doors are cool, but they are a solution to a problem that is just not a big deal to me, and suicide doors would solve the problem more simply (I chose other in the survey) while making the car more sport versatile. we have two kids, we've used a variety of third row seats in other vehicles and yes, it can be extra work, but we just don't have to use them that often to make it worth giving up roof storage for kayaks, etc. we traded up to an 85D instead, after concluding that the S is more of a sport utility vehicle than the X, which is more of a sexy mini van.

Hey FlasherZ, did you see my brilliant and very much valid analysis of the poll here Which door style would you prefer, given what we know today - Page 5 ?
I should point out that I have a Masters degree in math and may or may not actually understand the statistics behind this and therefore be forced to agree with FlasherZ... the poll stills provide some data... just not the information that many people would like to infer from them :)

we cancelled our order of the X when we were told that Tesla had no plans to develop a roof wrack for it. the falcon doors are cool, but they are a solution to a problem that is just not a big deal to me, and suicide doors would solve the problem more simply (I chose other in the survey) while making the car more sport versatile. we have two kids, we've used a variety of third row seats in other vehicles and yes, it can be extra work, but we just don't have to use them that often to make it worth giving up roof storage for kayaks, etc. we traded up to an 85D instead, after concluding that the S is more of a sport utility vehicle than the X, which is more of a sexy mini van.

Weren't Falcon Wing doors always planned and talked about for the X? I can't imagine ever thinking a roof rack was doable, reasonable, possible.

I think this one didn't turn out the way the OP was hoping.
Not at all. I was hoping to find out what people think. I honestly didn't assume that I was in the majority. I was wondering how many people felt the same way I did. And so far 48 people who may or may not have a Model X reservation have stated that they'd prefer other doors. Twice as many prefer falcon doors. I think that's interesting data.

Hey FlasherZ, did you see my brilliant and very much valid analysis of the poll here Which door style would you prefer, given what we know today - Page 5 ?
I should point out that I have a Masters degree in math and may or may not actually understand the statistics behind this and therefore be forced to agree with FlasherZ... the poll stills provide some data... just not the information that many people would like to infer from them :)

No I didn't. But now I did. And I'm happier with this poll than the other one because it is more neutral when you discount the apathetic. So I'm with you on this one, as long as it's not extrapolated. :)

The Falcon Wing doors are going to be attention-getters, but honestly I don't care what kind of doors go on the thing as long as they work.

On a Tesla fan page like TMC it`s interresting that 32% would prefer a different solution than the falcon doors.

- - - Updated - - -

Weren't Falcon Wing doors always planned and talked about for the X? I can't imagine ever thinking a roof rack was doable, reasonable, possible.

Seasucker has a solution. However - you need to be careful when using the roofrack so the falcon doors doesn`t wreck it (or themselves).
I`ll probably buy the kayak seasucker roofrack. It`s adjustable 24-44" wide. It might not fit within one falcon door glass roof (on top of one of the doors). But placed infront of and behind one of the doors you`ll probably be able to carry long things and still have the ability to open one of the doors. That`ll probably do the trick for me!

I had considered the possibility of some sort of segmented roof rack, where there are locks that swing into place on the segments once the doors are closed. However, with the windshield coming back as far as it does, I don't think there's much opportunity for a makeshift aftermarket solution.

I would go ahead and pick the Falcon doors over all of them. I mean who doesnt want those! :biggrin: Life would be so much nicer. But at end of the day either one looks really nice. So either way no matter what you pick the Telsa is still going to looks amazing.

I agree with that statement despite the OP and others spinning results by grouping all other results as a category against falcon doors. If we look at the results backwards like that (people-against versus people-in-favour) then we must conclude:

- as OP and Oyvind.H have pointed out, 32% are against Falcon doors.
- but that also means 83% are against sliding doors and 76% are against standard doors.

I agree with that statement despite the OP and others spinning results by grouping all other results as a category against falcon doors. If we look at the results backwards like that (people-against versus people-in-favour) then we must conclude:

- as OP and Oyvind.H have pointed out, 32% are against Falcon doors.
- but that also means 83% are against sliding doors and 76% are against standard doors.
Oh but you are also assuming that I had a certain intention when creating the poll. I didn't expect for one moment that there would be a majority for one of the other styles. Or even a plurality. I was trying to get some data about what people would prefer to see if I was alone out there not liking the falcon wing doors of if there was a bigger group with the same feeling. So I got exactly what I was hoping for.