Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Electricity Tariff

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use alot of electric. I drive upto 160 miles a day with an EV, so charge 11pm to 6am every night, also top up during the day too. All appliances in the home are electric, groundsource heat too. Im with SSE economy 7 tariff. id like to pick a cheaper tariff

I use alot of electric. I drive upto 160 miles a day with an EV, so charge 11pm to 6am every night, also top up during the day too. All appliances in the home are electric, groundsource heat too. Im with SSE economy 7 tariff. id like to pick a cheaper tariff

Did you try the calculator I posted on the first page @AndyS3 ? - be curious to know which one worked out better in your situation.

I am just filling out the Tesla Energy thing. Seems like you buy a powerwall which Tesla controls to import export. They then charge 8p/kWh on imported energy irrespective of time of day and also pay 8p/kWh is you export any power from SolarPV. I currently spend around £2,500 per year on electricity (3 EVS, electric heating, electric cooking and a workshop) so even with the install cost of nearly £10K it look slike a potential 6 to 8 year payback.
I thought about it, but my concern is the lack of control over the charge-discharge cycles.
I worry the life span of the battery pack would be severely curtailed.

Our family uses lots of daytime energy (around 8500kW total per year before the EV arrives) and Green Energy have got a 10.65p/kWh 24hr tariff. I used Dave's excellent calculator to tell me that moving to something like Octopus Go would be marginal at best.

Reactions: DaveW