Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which EV to buy? A better route planner makes things easier

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi forum. First thread for me.

I am a 3 reservation holder and had to make the big ordering decision a few weeks back. Crunch time. Wisely or unwisely the tool that helped my final decision was the A better route planner website. Was I the only one that used this tool to help make their final decision.

I make a fairly regular day trip to see relatives that’s just over 300km return. Charging options are available but are limited. I ran this trip as a scenario with typical local conditions. 105km/ hr top speed, 10 knot headwind, 30 degree day ( I live in coastal Queensland).

The round trip travel time results ( including side trip to charge where required)

Regular ICE car 3 1/2 hours
Tesla Model 3 AWD 3 1/2 hours
Tesla Model 3 SR+. 4 10 minutes
Hyundai Kona 64 4 1/2 hours
Jaguar iPace. 5 hours
Nissan Leaf 40. 6 1/2 hours
BMW i3 s. 120ah. 6 3/4 hours
Renault Zoe r90. 8 hours

I wonder which car I ordered :)

I did the same but only comparing SR+ , AWD and LR RWD (other makes are obviously slower;-)), my decision is still to wait and see if LR RWD becomes available as it saved some charging stops between Sydney/Albury depending on weather conditions and should be less expensive than AWD.

The one at the top of your list??

Well, I’m glad you say that because I did just that four years ago when I gave up on my hunt for an affordable EV with enough range to work as an only car.

I wanted to buy the Zoe, but at the sort of prices they pay in the UK. At the time it looked like it was never coming here. When it did finally arrive I thought Renault were having a lend at $55k. Guys on YouTube we’re picking them up for £16k after the grant.

To get back on topic, I also thought I could get the 300ish km on a charge if I drove the Zoe eco. That’s where the planner really puts a nail in the 2017 Zoe’s coffin thanks to limited charging infrastructure where I need it. I got the all clear from the dealer to take the Zoe for a weekend to try it out, but after a short test drive I didn’t fall in love so decided not to waste their time. Zoe has a niche ( much more so in the UK) but it’s as a second car here, not an only car......for me. It also lacked the fun factor that well sorted French small cars have.

Hi forum. First thread for me.

I am a 3 reservation holder and had to make the big ordering decision a few weeks back. Crunch time. Wisely or unwisely the tool that helped my final decision was the A better route planner website. Was I the only one that used this tool to help make their final decision.

I make a fairly regular day trip to see relatives that’s just over 300km return. Charging options are available but are limited. I ran this trip as a scenario with typical local conditions. 105km/ hr top speed, 10 knot headwind, 30 degree day ( I live in coastal Queensland).

I wonder which car I ordered :)

Considered plugging in at relatives for a few hrs? I already told my FIL that he needs to install solar & 32A if he wants to see his grandkids.

I did the same but only comparing SR+ , AWD and LR RWD (other makes are obviously slower;-)), my decision is still to wait and see if LR RWD becomes available as it saved some charging stops between Sydney/Albury depending on weather conditions and should be less expensive than AWD.
Me too.. really want the LR RWD for longer trips, less time at superchargers, faster charging the middle band to 80% , better vehicle . longevity. I see that the shareholders meeting 400 mile Tesla will be coming soon. .so they must believe themselves that the longer range puts them at an advantage over other manufacturers - so could australia please get the LR? (Anyone has a twitter account could they twitter message elon that last sentence for me? :)

Me too.. really want the LR RWD for longer trips, less time at superchargers, faster charging the middle band to 80% , better vehicle . longevity. I see that the shareholders meeting 400 mile Tesla will be coming soon. .so they must believe themselves that the longer range puts them at an advantage over other manufacturers - so could australia please get the LR? (Anyone has a twitter account could they twitter message elon that last sentence for me? :)

They also mentioned they are still cell constrained and are waiting for the cell production to increase from the current 70-80% of 35GWh installed capacity to 100% later this year/early next. It seems they can produce more than 6000 3's a week so need to produce some SR+ and sell as many P3D as possible to improve margins. I fully believe they will release AWD once the P3D orders slow but they mentioned they are not demand constrained. LR RWD is probably lower margin (best value for us) so will not become available until production catches up and margins improve.

I found using 'A Better Route Planner' highlighted the advantages of Aero wheels and slowing down a bit if there is a long stretch without charge stations.
- RWD with Aeros at 112km/h = 160Wh/km
- AWD with Aeros at 112km/h = 170Wh/km
- AWD with Aeros at 105km/h = 160Wh/km

So RWD traveling at 112km/hr has the same efficiently as the AWD traveling at 105km/hr.