TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Which factors to consider when considering timing to buy tesla / in retrospect?

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Tiger, Jul 10, 2017.

?

Which factors to consider when considering timing to buy tesla / in retrospect?

1. Is distance to nearest service center less than 2hr drive?

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. Is distance to nearest supercharger less than 80% battery charge?

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Is the car purchase eligible for ev tax credit?

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Is the car an environmentally firendly ev?

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. Does the car have fast acceleration for safer overtaking?

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  6. Does the car have better build quality, and less issues after purchase?

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tiger

Tiger Member

Hi! Which factors to consider when considering timing to buy tesla? Or in retrospect, having bought a Tesla, which factors would you recommend considering before purchase?

2. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

1.49% financing for 6 years
    Tax credit
    Free supercharger use (5 miles away)
    No range anxiety (100d)

3. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

It really all depends on you. I marked the Supercharger option because I do take road trips (more of them now, actually,) and without Supercharger support a Tesla could never be my only car.

4. ninefiveone

ninefiveone Member

None of these. Better put, all of these and a lot more. Way too many people whining on tesla forums about their car not being what they expected. 99% of those people didn't do their research.

These are first generation cars from a really young company. People should read forums like these to understand all the quirks and nuances of these cars before buying instead of just accepting the sales pitch. There are a lot of factors to consider before buying so people need to do their homework.

5. tomtx37

tomtx37 Member

How do you like your new MX so far with AP2? Also does your seat back plastic covers are matt or glossy finish?

6. ninefiveone

ninefiveone Member

We like it very much. It has lived up to (and down to) expectations very accurately. Seat back covers are matte. If the car never gets better from this point we'll be disappointed but ok. If Tesla delivers on some of its promises we'll get what we hoped for. If Tesla delivers on most of its promises we'll feel we got a great deal.

7. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Agree. Do the research. Not like any other car you ever had! In a good way. I voted better build quality if only picking one. Tesla has improved by leaps in quality from only just last year but still has a way to go. I know it's a newer company but I still compare it to BMW. The interior needs to improve to match.

8. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

None of these.

For me the most important thing in Tesla buy timing is estimating what changes will appear during your order and delivery timeline, as well as soon afterwards. As Tesla changes the product multiple times each quarter and usually in a major way right next quarter after delivering cars in an end of quarter rush, this product change timing is a real challenge in buying a Tesla.

While there is no guaranteed remedy outside of never ordering a Tesla, with research and willigness to walk away from a delivery the effects can at least be mitigated somewhat. For example right now I would definitely wait to see the Model 3 launch and what its effects may be on the Model S/X lines before ordering the latter.

If nothing changes for Model S/X in Q3 due to Model 3, then it is IMO nearly guaranteed something big changes in Q4 and I'd wait for that.

9. Sidra

Sidra Member

For you lottery winners, the depreciation you can write off could be a major reason to purchase this car. I'm not a CPA, so you should check with your accountant, but since this is a SUV, it can qualify for a broader range of businesses where you can write off the depreciation. Depending on how aggressive you want to be, I believe you can write off up to 50% off the first year. Also the interest from any loan you have is also tax deductible. Add also the $7500 tax credit too. This is for a purchase. If you lease, you can only write off the lease payments and down payment. Not bad, but not as much as a purchase. Also the insurance, but that's the same for lease or purchase. Keep in mind that they have super low rates right now, so purchasing can be almost on par with leasing. Of course this depends on your credit and how much you want to put down.