Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which goes further for $43 - a Tesla or a Gas Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And with peak rates in CA of over $.40 kWH, the cost would be $40.
So as long as you can pick and choose worst case arbitrary prices to make your point, your math works? 😂

I can do that too… I pay less than half of $0.25/kWh to charge my car in CA on an appropriate plan.

Who are you trying to convince here exactly, bumping an old thread to tell us all about your ICE revelation? Us or yourself? Sounds like you’re conforming quite well to Montana.

At home I pay less than 7c/kWh (less than 5c/kWh in winter). My car is currently showing 297Wh/mile because I mostly drive on interstate. Very roughly estimated, I can drive over 2000 miles for $43 in worst case scenarios.

Currently (punny!) I am charging for "free" (no additional charge at my marina). So I get infinity miles for $43. Today I drove 115 miles for $0.

There are a lot of benefits EVs offer...easier maintenance, not having to worry about oil changes, catalytic converters, spark plugs etc. Plus they are quiet and don't emit anything. You even have more storage space with a Tesla...the front trunk is standard :) So as has been said, it's not really a good comparison to just look at the cost of the energy, which can be free if you charge an EV using solar / wind power. If so, EVs then immediately win.

Reactions: WhiteWi
There are a lot of benefits EVs offer...easier maintenance, not having to worry about oil changes, catalytic converters, spark plugs etc. Plus they are quiet and don't emit anything. You even have more storage space with a Tesla...the front trunk is standard :) So as has been said, it's not really a good comparison to just look at the cost of the energy, which can be free if you charge an EV using solar / wind power. If so, EVs then immediately win.
And if I steal gas, it's "free" to me as well.

The point being that free is never free. For those with solar, it takes many years to simply recoup the costs of installation, and then you have to deal with the costs of replacing parts on the solar system when they have hit their expected lifespan. For those who get "free" charging at work, someone else is paying for it.

I happen to like EVs as a concept. I was willing to put my money on the line in the early days (2013), when Teslas were going through drive units and no one had any idea that EVs would be so quickly adopted.

But the idea that they are the right vehicle for everyone, or every situation, is insane. If you are an urban dweller with regular drives under 200 miles, sure, they work great. But for so many others, it's not even close to prime time. There's NO way I could have an EV given that I do 2000 mile round trip drives every month and live in an area where the closest big town is 150 miles one way. Same thing with the EV trucks. I often go hunting where the temps are below zero with deep snow and it's 200+ miles to the nearest charging infrastructure.

Yes, if you're a big city type, you don't experience it. But the country is not all big city. Get out of the big cities and see how the rest of America lives before trying to dictate to us what we should drive.

Shana tova, y'all.

And if I steal gas, it's "free" to me as well.

The point being that free is never free. For those with solar, it takes many years to simply recoup the costs of installation, and then you have to deal with the costs of replacing parts on the solar system when they have hit their expected lifespan. For those who get "free" charging at work, someone else is paying for it.

I happen to like EVs as a concept. I was willing to put my money on the line in the early days (2013), when Teslas were going through drive units and no one had any idea that EVs would be so quickly adopted.

But the idea that they are the right vehicle for everyone, or every situation, is insane. If you are an urban dweller with regular drives under 200 miles, sure, they work great. But for so many others, it's not even close to prime time. There's NO way I could have an EV given that I do 2000 mile round trip drives every month and live in an area where the closest big town is 150 miles one way. Same thing with the EV trucks. I often go hunting where the temps are below zero with deep snow and it's 200+ miles to the nearest charging infrastructure.

Yes, if you're a big city type, you don't experience it. But the country is not all big city. Get out of the big cities and see how the rest of America lives before trying to dictate to us what we should drive.

Shana tova, y'all.
Drive what you like. We were talking about your gas price and electricity price math which was not true.

But the idea that they are the right vehicle for everyone, or every situation, is insane.
Sure--agree.
Same thing with the EV trucks. I often go hunting where the temps are below zero with deep snow and it's 200+ miles to the nearest charging infrastructure.
Sure--that's a very real use case. And I have a friend who tows his RV on many weekends. There aren't good EV truck options right now, so you're right.

If you are an urban dweller with regular drives under 200 miles, sure, they work great. But for so many others, it's not even close to prime time. There's NO way I could have an EV given that I do 2000 mile round trip drives every month and live in an area where the closest big town is 150 miles one way.
But THERE'S the B.S.! The truck cases are certainly right, but very long distance traveling with Tesla cars is easy and a non-issue, but is still brought up by naysayers as if it's impossible. Nonsense. Many Tesla owners (including myself) do multi-thousand mile trips easily and routinely. I am leaving in a week for a vacation trip in mine, which is going to be about 1,800 miles total. Last summer, I drove out to visit my mom, which was 1,500 miles each way, and I did a 5,000+ mile trip a couple years before that. It's not even challenging anymore, like it used to be several years ago.

So yeah, I am onboard for saying it's not for every use case; of course not. But when you also try to include casual family vacation car travel in that category of things EVs are incapable of, I'm gonna have to call bull$#^& on ya for that.

Who is dictating what again? You came here, bumped a months old thread, and littered it with bad math to make yourself feel better about your decisions.

Let’s calm down with the “don’t tread on me” snake BS.

Funny thing is that I was trying to calculate that out myself!

I'll take a Mercedes Benz S Class as a comp for fuel economy, call it 23 MPG.

The problem I have is that my Tesla no longer has FUSC, my old one did.

Here goes!
Tested full range on my 2017 Tesla Model S (75D) seems to be a 68 kWh or so charge, which goes 212 miles.
One kWh of electricity here charging at home is 13 cents. So a full charge would be $8.84. $43 would buy me 4.864 home charges, which would take me roughly 1031 miles.

Superchargers in my area charge an average of 35 cents per kWh. That would make a full charge $23.80, so $43 would buy me 1.807 charges. Which would be 383 miles.

Loophole is that certain Superchargers drop the rate to 18 cents per kWh during non-peak hours! :) So charging during that time would buy 744 miles or so for $43!

Gas in my area is around $3.58 a gallon. So $43 would buy 12.01 gallons of fuel, which would be 276 miles or so.

I conclude that the EV is at least moderately more economical than a comparable gas car!

Reactions: Leeclanual
For those who get "free" charging at work, someone else is paying for it.
I knew I remembered your “I haz truck in mud” avatar pic from somewhere. It was a thread about workplace charging 6-12 months ago where you swooped in and mentioned the blatant pinko communism of companies voluntarily incentivizing clean energy by providing EV charging at work. 😆

The government subsidizing the environmental costs of your 2,000 mile ICE joy rides once a month doesn’t seem to illicit the same response, strange…

Last edited: