Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which gutters would/did you pick for a Solarglass roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
We just got an email asking us to pick the style of gutter we wanted. The options are:

Gutters.jpg

Tesla write up is :

Solar Roof is designed to complement your home’s architecture. We think through every detail when installing Solar Roof, including gutters, to ensure a sleek and beautiful look. You can choose between two different gutter profiles. K style has a decorative crown molding or Fascia gutter, which has a smooth design acting not only as a gutter but a fascia board to hide from view the edge of the rafter tail. Both gutter styles are finished with a durable scratch-resistant coating and available in a wide variety of colors to elegantly integrate into your new roof.

We like idea of smaller Fascia Style Gutter, but are concerned by the narrow width. While it does not rain often here in in the East Bay, sometimes it rains pretty hard.

What options would you choose?

My roof installer crew strongly recommended the 6” based on their past experiences. Said between the roof sitting ~1.5” higher off the gutters now, and the slick surface for fast moving water, it can overshoot 4-5” gutters. I’m having the 6” installed today actually, hopefully they don’t look comically large.

My roof installer crew strongly recommended the 6” based on their past experiences. Said between the roof sitting ~1.5” higher off the gutters now, and the slick surface for fast moving water, it can overshoot 4-5” gutters. I’m having the 6” installed today actually, hopefully they don’t look comically large.

Thanks. It would be great if you could post a picture of your 6" gutters after they are installed.

Thanks we are looking at the same color. I watched your video and the gutters seem very well tucked in there and pretty. But, since I believe you are in San Ramon, and I am in Pleasanton, I guess you have not had any rain to test their effectiveness. Maybe next month?
Correct, we need rain! It was a separate crew that did the gutters and they visited us twice to do the work. They seemed very busy and had a ton of jobs in the queue.

I did the fascia style on my V2, as the depth was more like my fascia boards so less of them would show. Haven't seen any issues with the less-wide gutters and rain. I went with black on both (Tesla painted my fascia boards, but all of my old fascias had to be replaced due to past water damage from the old roof) to better match the overall roof color and edge border. A few pictures at the end of my install album (link in my signature) with the gutters, but nothing really focused on the gutters alone.

Thanks for the picture. Looks like what we have now.

BTW, did you put the mesh on top or did Tesla?
Tesla subcontracts the gutter installs out to another company. In the Bay Area it seems to typically be acme roofing, that’s who I worked with. They installed the mesh. I’m not sure if that’s standard or because I complained the roof crew threw out my old leaf guards.

Tesla subcontracts the gutter installs out to another company. In the Bay Area it seems to typically be acme roofing, that’s who I worked with. They installed the mesh. I’m not sure if that’s standard or because I complained the roof crew threw out my old leaf guards.

Thanks. We also have leaf guards. I will ask about putting them on new gutters.

I did K style in black on V3 due to:
-what the gutter sub had avail
-what clearance I had around 1door
-what the home will look like when renovated.

I live in a HEAVY rain area and have gone through multiple storms, no issue with water overshooting on what amounts to a ~55* roof pitch.

Are leaf guards compatible with solar glass?
Certain ones are. Others (like mine) were not. I had to have my gutters replaced and they installed a different type. I believe the issue is the ones that were previously installed were sort of like the gutter helmet (if you've seen their ads) style and attached to the roof, which conflicted with the solar. What we have now is more the grate style.