Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which home wall charger - for a pain free charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I Ordered M3 and was told delivery in Feb. So looking for a home charge solution. But after spend some time here, I feel that maybe don’t need one.

For example:

M3 SR+ do 10000 miles a year.
Run 240 miles / fully charge.
That’s about 42 full charge/year
42x60kw=2520kwh

Charge Only @15p/Kwh,cost £378
Charge Only @ 5pkwh, cost £126

There’s £252/per different. And we spend £400-£500 upfront to have a home charge.

There few free charge point around my house and some near where I work. I think a 3 pin may enough for me.
That's an interesting way of looking at it. I've not done those maths but as I do about 14,000 miles and have ordered the Performance, my numbers would be different.

I think for me, the convenience of having a decent home charger makes it worth my while having one.

Having local free chargers sounds a nice bonus :)

Will the SR+ routinely have a range as high as 240 miles?

My LR struggles to get a range of between 250 and 270 miles, and has at times not managed 240 miles in cold weather, and that has a battery that's around 38% higher in capacity than the SR+.

Others who own an SR+ may be able to give a more accurate range estimate, but I would guess that the real world range might be a bit close to 200 miles, which changes the numbers slightly, but perhaps not enough to matter.

I Ordered M3 and was told delivery in Feb. So looking for a home charge solution. But after spend some time here, I feel that maybe don’t need one.

For example:

42x60kw=2520kwh

There’s £252/per different. And we spend £400-£500 upfront to have a home charge.

There few free charge point around my house and some near where I work. I think a 3 pin may enough for me.

I charged my M3P with a 3 pin plug for a couple of months before I had a commando socket installed. By charging 8pm to 7am I could add nearly 100 miles of range, more than enough for my day to day needs. On occasions when I did a longer drive and came home with less than 20% battery it would take two nights to get back to 90% charge, which was never a problem. If I did need an extra boost there’s a 50KW CCS charger half a mile away from me and a Superchager 12 miles away.

Based upon only a small sample of our usage and recent power bill (and not aligning charge to actual usage), I would think you probably need to be nearly doubling those figures. As others have said, lots of factors working against you, especially charge losses, short journeys, effects of cold weather and hvac use. Ours works out around 90kWh consumed for 300 driven miles - 300Wh/mile + charge losses.

Last edited:
That's an interesting way of looking at it. I've not done those maths but as I do about 14,000 miles and have ordered the Performance, my numbers would be different.

I think for me, the convenience of having a decent home charger makes it worth my while having one.

Having local free chargers sounds a nice bonus :)

GMEV are free to use but pay CYC £20/year. I simply call it free.

• Informative
Reactions: Gatsojon
Based upon only a small sample of our usage and recent power bill (and not aligning charge to actual usage), I would think you probably need to be nearly doubling those figures. As others have said, lots of factors working against you, especially charge losses, short journeys, effects of cold weather and hvac use. Ours works out around 90kWh consumed for 300 driven miles - 300Wh/mile + charge losses.

Thanks so much bring me back to real world.

I’m actually amazed that when approving other services to access your car, there are no scopes or limitations to be set. I agree with Jeromy that this is a huge security issue.

The OHME charger seems really good, nice app, but there’s simply no way I’d provide full access to the cars api, even if ohme are trustworthy, the issue is they need to store those credentials somewhere and every system has its weakness and is open to being hacked.

Tesla simply need to start allowing scopes / oauth for api access, it’s unthinkable that they haven’t.

This also rules out the use of teslafi, which is a real shame for the same reason.

Reactions: Glan gluaisne
I’m actually amazed that when approving other services to access your car, there are no scopes or limitations to be set. I agree with Jeromy that this is a huge security issue.

The OHME charger seems really good, nice app, but there’s simply no way I’d provide full access to the cars api, even if ohme are trustworthy, the issue is they need to store those credentials somewhere and every system has its weakness and is open to being hacked.

Tesla simply need to start allowing scopes / oauth for api access, it’s unthinkable that they haven’t.

This also rules out the use of teslafi, which is a real shame for the same reason.

I’m on the way to octopus. I been with SP for 7 years. Never checked their rate TBH, until put order on M3. And noticed that have been charged on single rate 18p/kWh for long time. So which home charger works best with Octopus? Anyone could advise?

Having read quite a lot online about the steps taken by TeslaFi to safeguard credentials I took a deep breath and decided to take the plunge. If there is ever any indication that TeslaFi has had any security breach, I will immediately change my Tesla account password, thereby removing the access. I do not take security lightly, but felt it was a tradeoff I was willing to make to have the TeslaFi data and logging. It is a personal choice and I fully understand that others are more circumspect about granting any third party service access to the keys to the car (so to speak).

Tesla Wall Connector might be "dumb" but it's more beautiful...on the inside. Don't forget who made it. I talked to a guy who has taken anything apart made by The Big T, that he can get his hands on it. Inside, it's all proprietary, there's no markings on anything and if you want to reverse engineer it, you've got your work cut out for you.

Things with more complexity are more likely to fail. My friend's BLiNK EVSE from 2011 failed just out of warranty and now it does nothing...except charge at the programmed time.

There's some other good options including Clipper Creek as probably the next best after the Tesla Wall Connector. Go to their website and watch their videos about laboratory testing of their hardware.

Do not, under any circumstances, be lured by something on Amazon from China that isn't UL or ETL tested. If your house burns down, your insurance company might even refuse your claim. It's not worth it!

I’ve looked at the Ohme one and it gets good reviews. Didn’t know about having to give your Tesla login details. I have also seen somewhere that starts it can be used as a dumb charger? If so does it still need my details, and then does it make more sense to use it like that until there is a fix or patch from Tesla?

I’m still swaying towards the Tesla wall charger but trying to keep an open mind.

Having read quite a lot online about the steps taken by TeslaFi to safeguard credentials I took a deep breath and decided to take the plunge. If there is ever any indication that TeslaFi has had any security breach, I will immediately change my Tesla account password, thereby removing the access. I do not take security lightly, but felt it was a tradeoff I was willing to make to have the TeslaFi data and logging. It is a personal choice and I fully understand that others are more circumspect about granting any third party service access to the keys to the car (so to speak).

I went through a similar thought process, but opted to use TeslaMate instead. The functionality is somewhat similar to TeslaFi, but the big advantage (for me) was that my account credentials are held securely within my own home, as I have TeslaMate running on a Raspberry Pi. Short of someone physically breaking in and taking the RPi, then there's no easy way to hack in and get my account details.

Reactions: KennethS
I’m on the way to octopus. I been with SP for 7 years. Never checked their rate TBH, until put order on M3. And noticed that have been charged on single rate 18p/kWh for long time. So which home charger works best with Octopus? Anyone could advise?
You can use any charger with Octopus GO. I use a Tesla Wall Connector (which is completely dumb) and simply schedule the charging using the car.

The main advantage of using a smart charger is if you’ve got solar panels, or want to use time-of-use tariffs like Octopus Agile. They should allow you to do lots of extra things, but from what other folk on here have said, that is often a bit flakey. I’m sure it will improve in time.

I’m firmly in the camp of “the simpler the better”. Unfortunately, to be able to claim the OLEV grant for a charger, it does now need to be smart.

You mentioned that you’re heading towards Octopus GO, so I’ve taken the liberty of sending you my referral code in case you don’t already have one.

I went through a similar thought process, but opted to use TeslaMate instead. The functionality is somewhat similar to TeslaFi, but the big advantage (for me) was that my account credentials are held securely within my own home, as I have TeslaMate running on a Raspberry Pi. Short of someone physically breaking in and taking the RPi, then there's no easy way to hack in and get my account details.
That is certainly a far more secure solution. I have toyed with purchasing a Raspberry Pi to tinker with, since the cost of entry is fairly minimal. But my ambition likely exceeds my technical ability! I have frequently thought there could be some small commercial endeavour to be had by pre-configuring a RPi for specific tasks requested by customers. Likely not a big money maker but it could be worthwhile as a hobby for someone like me with time on his hands....

That is certainly a far more secure solution. I have toyed with purchasing a Raspberry Pi to tinker with, since the cost of entry is fairly minimal. But my ambition likely exceeds my technical ability! I have frequently thought there could be some small commercial endeavour to be had by pre-configuring a RPi for specific tasks requested by customers. Likely not a big money maker but it could be worthwhile as a hobby for someone like me with time on his hands....

Not hard to just clone an SD card so that someone can just buy a Raspberry Pi, plug in the SD card and edit one file that holds their Tesla account credentials.

I'm not a software person at all, and it took me maybe an hour to just follow some instructions on the internet and set up TeslaMate running within a Docker container on the Raspberry Pi. All that's connected to the RPi is a network cable plus power from a USB supply. I have TeslaMate and the graphical interface, Tesla - Grafana, bookmarked on my browser, so it opens like any other web page, but it just happens to be being served from an address and port on the RPi on our home LAN, rather than the web.

• Informative
Reactions: Gatsojon and Roy W.

For example:

42x60kw=2520kwh

I would base the SR+ on an average of 280whr/mile

so 3.57miles per kwh

So should be around 2,800kwh

If you have free near work or at work they are the best and you can leave it charging while at work :)

Reactions: Roy W.
I've got one of those terrible Rolec chargers that came with our equally terrible 24kwh Nissan Leaf, I have to keep replacing parts init and I've had enough.

So I'm going to go for one of those new Ohme chargers that are fully programmable via the app, also it can auto charge when the £/kwh are below a threshold. We should still be able to get the grant as the Model S is in my name and the Leaf was in wife's name.

Store | Ohme

brainbox.png

Has anyone got one of these OHME chargers and if so, do they work ok with Tesla’s?

The good thing about this Ohme charger is that it can act as a dumb charger quite easily, it is at first a dumb charger before initial setup and secondly can be set to be a dumb charger in the settings.