Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which ICE vehicle is most comparable to a Tesla Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which ICE vehicle is most comparable to a Tesla Model Y? I ask because I often tell people how low my fuel costs are to drive. Comparing it to my 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid isn't a great comparison. That car had a small 12 cubic foot trunk vs about 68 for the Y. Of course the Accord is a sedan, not a small SUV. The cargo capacity of the Y is a big plus for me.

In the year and a half prior to getting my Y I had come close on a couple of occasions to buying a slightly used Ford Edge, to hold me over for a couple of years before I got an EV. Ultimately decided against it as the driving dynamics were a little weak.

Anyway, the Ford Edge is a vehicle I'd consider comparable in size and features. Agree? What other ICE vehicles would you compare it to?

Any of several dozen Crossovers now on the market from basically every Automaker. They all have more than one, in fact. The thing I never understand about when people do these comparisons with MPG (for example) is many times they say "well this toyota corrola gets 37 MPG, or "I get 43 mpg with this prius" as if those are somehow comparative vehicles (they arent).

This is especially true with the model Y, but is also true with the model 3.

To your question, though, this particular car segment is the hottest one in the US, so basically "every" small to medium sized SUV / Crossover fits in this segment.

Reactions: timeshifter
I'm going from an Audi Q5 to a Model Y, very similar in basic size and price very quiet ride and respectable performance, One note, to get all the Q5 features like adaptive cruise, etc., you have go to the pricey top trim, and full access to Connect features is a $29 month subscription.

• Informative
Reactions: mrwug
Depends on how you define "comparable." I give you the BMW 3-series GT and the Honda CrossTour. Both are slightly taller than a sedan, have hatchbacks with excellent cargo space. To me, they both look like inflated versions of their respective sedans.

I owned a 328 version of the BMW and currently own a 340 variant). I feel like they were the perfect combination of sport and utility without actually being an SUV. And the 340 is powerful!

Then came the Model Y. My BMW will be gone, as the MY took lots of what I love about the GT and made it better in so many ways.

1628800040805.png
1628800069830.png

Depends on how you define "comparable." I give you the BMW 3-series GT and the Honda CrossTour. Both are slightly taller than a sedan, have hatchbacks with excellent cargo space. To me, they both look like inflated versions of their respective sedans.

I owned a 328 version of the BMW and currently own a 340 variant). I feel like they were the perfect combination of sport and utility without actually being an SUV. And the 340 is powerful!

Then came the Model Y. My BMW will be gone, as the MY took lots of what I love about the GT and made it better in so many ways.

I forgot to address the CrossTour... I'm reminded of the scene in Borat, where he's having dinner and complements the looks of one man's wife, then looks at the other and says, "You, not so much..."

I have both a 2021 model Y and a 2019 Toyota RAV4 hybrid. Cargo space is about the same on each vehicle. The Toyota has a little bit better fit and finish. I like both rigs but as for fun I must say in the model Y is a blast! Cost wise the model Y was about $14,000 more than the Toyota. Figuring the gas mileage on the Toyota versus the model Y — even though the Toyota gets about 32 miles to the gallon on average it cost about $.11 a mile to drive, and the model Y cost me about 3 1/2 cents a mile.I can say that in the last two months I have only visited the gas station once and put in 8 gallons of gasoline. Nice to be able to fill up in my own driveway!

Having both on order (Tesla for me, BMW for wife) the BMW X3. Similar drive, almost identical storage. BMW has a much better fit/finish though.

I had almoxt 2 decades of leasing BMWs before I bought my model 3 performance. My wifes current car is a 2019 BMW X3 M40. We custom ordered it, and its fully loaded except for the towing hitch. It has every other option available from BMW on a 2019 X3, including adaptive suspension, etc.

The fit and finish of the car is tremendous (as BMWs usually are) and I used to love driving it, and my 2019 435 estoril blue M sport with factory M performance power and sound kit (for the BMW people reading). Then, when that car went back at the end of its lease, I bought the model 3 Performance.

While my wifes X3 is a way better "put together" car from a fit and finish perspective, my model 3P isnt "bad".. just not as good as the BMW it replaced, or my wifes BMW. DRIVING the model 3, on the other hand, spoiled me for pretty much any ICE vehicle, including my wifes. I hardly ever drive her car, only when I "have to" because its more comfortable to put 4 people in her car than mine.

We are considering replacing her car with a model Y. I do consider those to be direct competitors (BMW X3 / X4 and model Y). Probably more an X4 direct competitor for shape of vehicle, but both are roughly same size.

Because of the used car market right now, this is one of the only times it actually makes sense for us to buy out the X3 lease, and it has almost no miles on it.

Anyway, this segment is pretty wide but I consider the competition to be more cars this particular price range as well as shape.

Reactions: jsight and Tony_YYZ
...Because of the used car market right now, this is one of the only times it actually makes sense for us to buy out the X3 lease, and it has almost no miles on it....
By all means, buy out that lease end X3 and use that used car resale value to get your Model Y. These spectacular used car values aren't going last forever. That X3 might be down to normal depreciation next year.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I came to Model Y from a Honda CR-V. Y is slightly larger in exterior dimensions, quite a bit roomier for passenger space, and a little smaller in cargo space. Y is much cooler and (of course) has way better performance and driving dynamics. Also, Y has much lower center of gravity and therefore much more solid cornering and general handling.

I am very happy with the change. Don’t miss anything about the CR-V ….. and we loved that car for 9 years and 270,000 miles.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I too have a 2019 Rav 4 hybrid.

Does yours have the lane assist and radar cruise control? Curious how you think it stacks up against autopilot.

I have a MYLR on order and hope it performs similarly. No phantom braking, can pretty much go an entire stretch of turnpike driving without input in my Toyota.
Yes, my Rav4 does have lane assist and radar. I will say that my MYLR runs circles around the Rav4. The Rav4 will slow and stop for the cars in front it but you have to tap the gas to get it going again. The Y is a little more aggressive with its stops, but will start off again without any prompts. The Rav4's lane assist is just OK - you have to watch, because it doesn't like to take too sharp of curves on the highway, and it does not slow for the curves. The Y does a great job of taking even the sharpest curves, while slowing down by itself. If you like your Rav, then you'll LOVE the Y !

Reactions: Chemios