Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which ICE vehicle is most comparable to a Tesla Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going from an Audi Q5 to a Model Y, very similar in basic size and price very quiet ride and respectable performance, One note, to get all the Q5 features like adaptive cruise, etc., you have go to the pricey top trim, and full access to Connect features is a $29 month subscription.
That’s the reason why German automakers must all die soon. Toyota and Honda make the safety features standard even on their cheapest cars whereas my Benz dealer told me I can’t have collision warning or lane assist in the new 62K GLE. In fact, he was taunting me that the 180K GL* car apparently has all the self driving features. I told him to go **** himself - if Tesla is giving the auto pilot features with 8 cameras and a super computer onboard on a 35K Model 3, this idiot telling me about a 180K non existent car is fundamentally stupid.

I'm going from an Audi Q5 to a Model Y, very similar in basic size and price very quiet ride and respectable performance, One note, to get all the Q5 features like adaptive cruise, etc., you have go to the pricey top trim, and full access to Connect features is a $29 month subscription.
Very quiet ride? Maybe on the smoothest, paved roads only for my MY. I hear plenty of wind as well.

I think I'd compare the Y most closely with the new Lexus NX plug-in hybrid. It's like a souped up luxury RAV4.

Both are about the same size. Both pretty fast (Y is still faster though). Both about the same cost, though the NX can still get the tax credit in the US.

I have both a 2021 model Y and a 2019 Toyota RAV4 hybrid. Cargo space is about the same on each vehicle. The Toyota has a little bit better fit and finish. I like both rigs but as for fun I must say in the model Y is a blast! Cost wise the model Y was about $14,000 more than the Toyota. Figuring the gas mileage on the Toyota versus the model Y — even though the Toyota gets about 32 miles to the gallon on average it cost about $.11 a mile to drive, and the model Y cost me about 3 1/2 cents a mile.I can say that in the last two months I have only visited the gas station once and put in 8 gallons of gasoline. Nice to be able to fill up in my own driveway!
You neglected to finish the math

14000/(.11-.035) = 186666 miles to break even.

Price Difference / Per mile savings = miles to break even.