Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which ICE vehicle is most comparable to a Tesla Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, my Rav4 does have lane assist and radar. I will say that my MYLR runs circles around the Rav4. The Rav4 will slow and stop for the cars in front it but you have to tap the gas to get it going again. The Y is a little more aggressive with its stops, but will start off again without any prompts. The Rav4's lane assist is just OK - you have to watch, because it doesn't like to take too sharp of curves on the highway, and it does not slow for the curves. The Y does a great job of taking even the sharpest curves, while slowing down by itself. If you like your Rav, then you'll LOVE the Y !
You made my day, thank you! Also, definitely agree with you on the Rav being too slow to accelerate after stopping/slowing down. Glad to hear the Y is more aggressive.

Reactions: Gadget63
You made my day, thank you! Also, definitely agree with you on the Rav being too slow to accelerate after stopping/slowing down. Glad to hear the Y is more aggressive.
I picked up our Y in March. I haven't put more than 30 miles on the Rav4 since. The wife has pretty much taken it over the Rav4 as she does just mostly local town driving. I've put 8 gallons of gas in the Rav4 in the past 3 months. I can't seem to get her to use the Y for local driving - in fact, she may have put only about 5 miles on the Y since we've owned it. I think she's afraid of wrecking it. I tell her it's only a car... I think with a full charge on the Y - I could get about 6~7 weeks of just local driving in our small town.

Reactions: Gadget63
I came from a 2008 Acura RDX that is comparable in size and handling but the MY (June, 2020) has way more acceleration. I used to think 240 HP was good but the Y is great. It also has absolutely zero throttle lag. The RDX does try to keep the turbo spooled up at lower revs but still have significant lag.
The storage capability is similar but the Y is longer and the RDX has more room near the lift gate. The RDX gets about 20MPG unless you are having fun with the turbo, then ~17 MPG. I love "filling up" at home and have never even visited a supercharger after having the Y for over one year. I plan on using supercharging when Covid allows more traveling/visiting.

I will never pay over MSRP, personally i think it should be illegal for dealers to do so.
Yea, I had the same feeling. Especially $11k!!!! I'm totally glad they pushed me into a Model Y... such a great car!

I honestly wouldnt have even looked at one. I was considering Mach-Es and the Rav4 Prime (I love my Prius Prime). But the Mach-E's didnt have the charging network I wanted and the Rav4, while I honestly think is a great car for MSRP... is NOT a great car for $11,000 over MSRP. My wife and I decided to go to Tesla the next day and test drive a MY. We waited about a month before actually committing to buy one, but "thank you" Toyota, for showing us the light!!

Honestly it was a dealer markup... that also helped. Tesla has a set price online. You just click it and order... BAM! you get what you want, no surprises. Toyota would have won that duel if they didnt let the dealers mark up the car.

Big fan of the RAV4 Prime. No, I don't have one. But I really wanted one. Thought it'd be a great balance. Lots of EV usage, probably most of the time. Zero range anxiety. True, that you're still maintaining an ICE too, but Toyota's are pretty good, plus the gas engine would get such minimal use so that would help.

Problem: Toyota just isn't making enough of them to matter.

Reactions: Tha_Ape
Big fan of the RAV4 Prime. No, I don't have one. But I really wanted one. Thought it'd be a great balance. Lots of EV usage, probably most of the time. Zero range anxiety. True, that you're still maintaining an ICE too, but Toyota's are pretty good, plus the gas engine would get such minimal use so that would help.

Problem: Toyota just isn't making enough of them to matter.
I have a Prius Prime (in addition to the Tesla) and its really minimal maintenance. I think when people thing of ICE cars, they're thinking of old ones. On my Prius Prime (and even regular prius before that), you change the oil once a year/10k miles. Thats $36 if you do it yourself, $80 if you take it somewhere. You dont change any other fluids until >100k mi or 10yrs. Thats when you do sparkplugs, coolant, and transmission fluid. Again, thats after 10 years or 100k miles! hardly a big deal (especially if you do it yourself). Maintenance is really light on modern cars.

The Tesla will need to have it's brakes lubricated annually. I'll do it myself, but it'll be more involved than an oil change (but less dirty though!).

Last edited:
Reactions: Daekwan
I have a Prius Prime (in addition to the Tesla) and its really minimal maintenance. I think when people thing of ICE cars, they're thinking of old ones. On my Prius Prime (and even regular prius before that), you change the oil once a year/10k miles. Thats $36 if you do it yourself, $80 if you take it somewhere. You dont change any other fluids until >100k mi or 10yrs. Thats when you do sparkplugs, coolant, and transmission fluid. Again, thats after 10 years or 100k miles! hardly a big deal (especially if you do it yourself). Maintenance is really light on modern cars.

The Tesla will need to have it's brakes lubricated annually. I'll do it myself, but it'll be more involved than an oil change (but less dirty though!).
I have prius prime also. You can't count hybrids as regular ice cars since they are less maintenance from the break regen. Honestly though Prius prime way cheaper to drive than the Y, even if ya dont plug in. 500 miles to a tank at like 40 bucks at Cali prices now, and if ya plug in even better...it is better to drive than the regular prius and most other slower cars...but nothing compared to the Y or 3.

Back to non hybrid ICE...brakepads every year or 2, brake fluid flush ever 2 yrs or so.

Really its the long term stuff like belts etc that make ice and hybrid ice expensive in long term maintenance.

I use brake enough in my Y hopefully enough to warrant not needing lubrication(i didnt on the prime).

Tires though...one part ya gotta replace regardless lol.

I will never pay over MSRP, personally i think it should be illegal for dealers to do so.

The Acronym "MSRP" stands for "manufacturers SUGGESTED retail price". The dealer owns the car (asset) and can sell the asset for whatever they want to. Its not much different than buying anything else.

I dont like the practice at all (and agree I would never pay over MSRP for a car), but thats because of my own personal principles and the fact that I dont need ANYTHING bad enough to pay over what the manufacturer suggests the price should be.

One of the things I keep telling people about the "sell cars direct to consumers" model, is that it wont necessarily be cheaper for everyone, if and when that comes to pass. It will be more expensive, for those who already know how to negotiate car deals.

The thing is, most people dont really care about driving the best car deal, per se. They just dont want to get ripped off. They dont want their neighbor to have paid less for the exact same car bought on the exact same day from the exact same place than they did.

Car manufacturers make more with direct sales, because they dont have to pay dealer hold backs, and all those other incentives. Customers in general have less stress about being ripped off on the car deal (just look at a tesla MVPA vs your typical car dealer paperwork that gets printed on long triplicate paper, with tons of fine print). The only one that actually loses is the dealers, who fight tooth and nail to say "but we add value, and where are you going to get that car fixed, huh? huh?"

Errr... wow let me climb down off the soapbox now, lmao. I really really (really really) dislike regular car dealers, even though I am very good on the negotiation part of getting a deal on a new car.

Even with all that, "MSRP" is just a suggested price, and we are not at a place yet where someone tries to sell someone else what they can or cant attempt to sell goods for.

The Acronym "MSRP" stands for "manufacturers SUGGESTED retail price". The dealer owns the car (asset) and can sell the asset for whatever they want to. Its not much different than buying anything else.

I dont like the practice at all (and agree I would never pay over MSRP for a car), but thats because of my own personal principles and the fact that I dont need ANYTHING bad enough to pay over what the manufacturer suggests the price should be.

One of the things I keep telling people about the "sell cars direct to consumers" model, is that it wont necessarily be cheaper for everyone, if and when that comes to pass. It will be more expensive, for those who already know how to negotiate car deals.

The thing is, most people dont really care about driving the best car deal, per se. They just dont want to get ripped off. They dont want their neighbor to have paid less for the exact same car bought on the exact same day from the exact same place than they did.

Car manufacturers make more with direct sales, because they dont have to pay dealer hold backs, and all those other incentives. Customers in general have less stress about being ripped off on the car deal (just look at a tesla MVPA vs your typical car dealer paperwork that gets printed on long triplicate paper, with tons of fine print). The only one that actually loses is the dealers, who fight tooth and nail to say "but we add value, and where are you going to get that car fixed, huh? huh?"

Errr... wow let me climb down off the soapbox now, lmao. I really really (really really) dislike regular car dealers, even though I am very good on the negotiation part of getting a deal on a new car.

Even with all that, "MSRP" is just a suggested price, and we are not at a place yet where someone tries to sell someone else what they can or cant attempt to sell goods for.
The Stealerships and Snakepersons are the ones who rake in the cash, even when ya negotiate under MSRP. Cut out that 3rd party :)

I was cross shopping the 7 seater VW Tiguan. It's almost exactly the same with the exterior dimensions. Interior dimensions and cargo space are also very close. And it's really the only other SUV that is 7-seat capable at this size presently.