Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Install Makes The Most Sense?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We plan to be taking delivery of our pre-owned Model S tomorrow. We are going to trickle charge it for a few weeks until we can get an electrician out to our house. (Our purchase was spontaneous.) So... with Black Friday coming up I am seeing lots of ads for various chargers. I'm wondering about all your opinions for what I should set up.

We own our home and plan to park and charge in our garage. We may move within 5 years but it's not highly likely, just a possibility. Right now we will only own the Tesla but I could see us owning other electric cars in the future as the market changes. And it's very likely that family members who visit will own non-Tesla electric cars and may want/need to charge from time to time.

So I'm debating between:
a) Installing a 240V plug only
b) Hardwiring something like a ChargePoint
c) Setting something up that can charge two cars at the same time
d) Other

I'm saying that we will own a Tesla soon but in a few years we might own two electric cars, one Tesla and the other something else. Or we might move out of this house. I'm thinking about what is the most versatile option?
That's why I'm considering installing a NEMA 6-50 and using a ChargePoint rather than installing NEMA 14-50.

I'm saying that we will own a Tesla soon but in a few years we might own two electric cars, one Tesla and the other something else. Or we might move out of this house. I'm thinking about what is the most versatile option?
That's why I'm considering installing a NEMA 6-50 and using a ChargePoint rather than installing NEMA 14-50.
More expensive and less convenient now for the car you own now. Do you really want to have to use a J1772 adapter every day when you plug in? Moving in a few years is irrelevant as you're having to install a 240V outlet (14-50 or 6-50) in either scenario. If you have two electric cars they can take turns on your 14-50, or you can get a second outlet wired then, or who knows what in a few years.

I've been using my 14-50 outlet for the 6 years I've owned Tesla, and for the 6 years before that when charging a RAV4EV. Always adequate. Now with and S and 3 we put in a second 14-50 outlet and dialed down the amps (in the car) a bit so the 100 amp sub panel will never trip its main breaker. We only charge late at night, and the cars are always full every morning. I don't understand the need for any of these other chargers or adapters when Tesla gives you everything you need and the 14-50 outlet is the cheapest, most reliable, dependable solution out there. Remember: K.I.S.S. Keep it simple, folks!

Reactions: TexasEV
(1) NEMA 14-50 is the most universal and cheapest of the non-trickle-charge methods as you can simply use the portable charger that came with the car.

(2) The slickest solution is to have a Tesla HPWC installed. That adds about $500 to the cost, but you end up with the nice Tesla wand with charge port door button and don't have to use your mobile charger.

(3) Install a universal J1772 EV charger. It will cost about the same, or slightly more than the Tesla charger, and you'll have to use a J1772-to-Tesla adapter. This will let you charge pretty much any EV, as opposed to only a Tesla as with option 2.

In my opinion, unless you have immediate plans to add a non-Tesla EV, stick with option 1 or 2.

The Tesla Wall Connector is the best semi-permanent charging station on the market. It supports high amperage charging and is one of the few charging stations on the market with load-sharing capability (up to 4 units). That means if you get another Tesla down the road, you can add a second Tesla Wall Connector and connect it to the first without needing a new circuit or electrical panel upgrade. For comparison, a ClipperCreek charging station with 48A capability is $900 and one with 80A capacity is over $2000.

Gloss Black Wall Connector
Model S/X/3 Wall Connector

Also, if you refer 2 people to buy a Tesla, you'll get one of these for free.

Referral Program

If you have friends visiting that have a non-Tesla EV, you can buy an adapter like this:

JDapter Stub

Installing a NEMA 14-50 is the best approach and is forwards compatible. Your Tesla will come with a mobile connector (UMC) that can plug into it and do either 40A (UMC1) or 32A (UMC2). If in the future you get a non-Tesla EV, *then* you can buy a standard EVSE (not "charger" - the charger is built into the car) with a J1772 plug that can charge either the Tesla or other EV. There's no real reason to get a separate EVSE (Tesla wall connector or J1772) now.

We plan to be taking delivery of our pre-owned Model S tomorrow. We are going to trickle charge it for a few weeks until we can get an electrician out to our house. (Our purchase was spontaneous.) So... with Black Friday coming up I am seeing lots of ads for various chargers. I'm wondering about all your opinions for what I should set up.

We own our home and plan to park and charge in our garage. We may move within 5 years but it's not highly likely, just a possibility. Right now we will only own the Tesla but I could see us owning other electric cars in the future as the market changes. And it's very likely that family members who visit will own non-Tesla electric cars and may want/need to charge from time to time.

So I'm debating between:
a) Installing a 240V plug only
b) Hardwiring something like a ChargePoint
c) Setting something up that can charge two cars at the same time
d) Other

The first question is how much do you use? If your commute is short, 120V charging is a great solution. There's not a reason to spend more if you don't need it. Don't feel obliged to get a bigger solution if you don't need it. For both me and my wife (2 EVs), 120V solutions work well.

Next level up, a NEMA 14-50 is the best, flexible solution.

Ahh... ok I'm reading these comments - and thank you all for the feedback - and I'm realizing some things. For instance, I had a very negative reaction to the notion of referring anyone to buy a Tesla. There's simply no way in hell I'm going to recommend Tesla or hand out a referral code. Which has led me to realize that I still have a ton of negative emotions regarding Tesla. There's been a huge loss of trust over the last few years. I was "all in" when I put a deposit on a Model 3 but then over the many months of broken promises and random changes I have a lot of resentment. And so I think that's why I'm thinking about another EV in the future instead of another Tesla.

Ahh... ok I'm reading these comments - and thank you all for the feedback - and I'm realizing some things. For instance, I had a very negative reaction to the notion of referring anyone to buy a Tesla. There's simply no way in hell I'm going to recommend Tesla or hand out a referral code. Which has led me to realize that I still have a ton of negative emotions regarding Tesla. There's been a huge loss of trust over the last few years. I was "all in" when I put a deposit on a Model 3 but then over the many months of broken promises and random changes I have a lot of resentment. And so I think that's why I'm thinking about another EV in the future instead of another Tesla.

As far as the resentment, it is totally normal. When the dream of a low cost and mostly perfect Model 3 was announced, the hope was for a perfect car. No problems, great range, no paint issues, perfect body gaps, everybody could get exactly what they wanted, at the price they wanted with absolutely no issues...the perfect car.

When reality came to be, and the forums filled up with complainers, it is only natural to feel let down. Reality can never be as perfect as the dream.

Problem is that we need to live in a world of reality, and the car is pretty great, but even supermodels have their faults.

Another factor in the plug-only vs. permanent EVSE is in how and where you drive on a daily basis. I live in a rural area with few EV charging options in most directions. I would be uncomfortable driving much of the time if I did not have the UMC in the car with me. I have a HPWC to avoid having to unplug and pack up the UMC every time I want to go somewhere.

This isn’t about not accepting reality. This is about having reasonable expectations that were never met.

For instance, I always added 3-6 months to each and every declaration about when Model 3 would be released. Tesla never lived up to any of their claims, nor my realistic expectations.

It was reasonable to expect them to follow the original plan and stick to 3 releases of 3 different versions, the base model coming out 3rd. I think it was reasonable to be surprised and miffed that they’re pushing a 4th version being released now, 3rd, when the tax credit is disappearing. And to be annoyed that prices went up.

This isn’t about not accepting reality. This is about having reasonable expectations that were never met.

For instance, I always added 3-6 months to each and every declaration about when Model 3 would be released. Tesla never lived up to any of their claims, nor my realistic expectations.

It was reasonable to expect them to follow the original plan and stick to 3 releases of 3 different versions, the base model coming out 3rd. I think it was reasonable to be surprised and miffed that they’re pushing a 4th version being released now, 3rd, when the tax credit is disappearing. And to be annoyed that prices went up.

I think you may have an interesting journey with your Model S ownership. Tesla over promises. Just get used to hearing the most optimistic estimates from them and they often miss.

Back to the charging, I agree with others. Get a NEMA 14-50 plug installed to ensure future proofing. I am installing a HPWC, but just because I got it for free as a referral present. But, I am also making sure that the wiring to the HPWC has the extra wire for a NEMA 14-50 also run. This will ensure if I want to switch to a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, or ?? EV at the end of my lease I can install the "universal" NEMA 14-50 plug with minimal expense and delay.

I think you may have an interesting journey with your Model S ownership. Tesla over promises. Just get used to hearing the most optimistic estimates from them and they often miss.

Back to the charging, I agree with others. Get a NEMA 14-50 plug installed to ensure future proofing. I am installing a HPWC, but just because I got it for free as a referral present. But, I am also making sure that the wiring to the HPWC has the extra wire for a NEMA 14-50 also run. This will ensure if I want to switch to a BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, or ?? EV at the end of my lease I can install the "universal" NEMA 14-50 plug with minimal expense and delay.

I installed a nema 14-50 while I wait for my referral HPWC to arrive. Then I’ll keep the nema 14-50 and branch with a switch box to the HPWC. Like this I will be able to use one or the other when needed.

I installed a nema 14-50 while I wait for my referral HPWC to arrive. Then I’ll keep the nema 14-50 and branch with a switch box to the HPWC. Like this I will be able to use one or the other when needed.

I should had done that. We had the NEMA 14-50 outlet box installed and wired a year before we got the Model X. But they did not activate it. Then we got notice of the the Signature HPWC award about the time we got the car. Figuring that we would get the Signature HPWC any day we decided to not activate the NEMA 14-50, Then we started a remodel. About 3 months into the remodel the Signature HPWC showed up. So we decided to have them rip out some walls and hide all the wiring in the garage ceiling for the HPWC. And now, 6 months after getting the Model X, we are a couple of weeks out from them activating the HPWC. Charging with the UMC off 120V is getting very old.