Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which insurance companies to get quotes from?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently insured with Geico but because of an at fault injury accident by one of the household members, they have raised my premium twice now. They are also moving my policy from Geico to Geico Casualty - whatever that means. The combined increase is about 50% of original policy price and it might be reasonable given the accident logistics, but I'd like to shop around and see if I can get a better deal somewhere else. Any advise on which companies to get quotes from? Is it even worth trying to shop around for a cheaper insurance than Geico?

Of course it’s worth it. The range of quotes you’ll get for a Tesla, specifically with an accident in the household, will be gargantuan. This is a case where I think a competent insurance broker would earn every penny and save you a lot of headache.

• Helpful
Reactions: ishareit
I did a bit of shopping when State Farm slowly but steadily raised my rates from my initial Model S in 2013 (which was about the same as my previous cars at that time) until they doubled that rate by 2016 (no accidents or tickets on my part - just a reflection of the risk they think insuring a Tesla is). While I certainly didn't check with everybody out there I found Progressive to have best rates of all that I checked and that's who I've been with for the past 2 years.

Mike

• Helpful
From what I read here, the cheapest insurance for Tesla in California seems to be Costco Ameriprise, USAA (if you qualify), Progressive, and Geico. Not necessary in that order.

It is always worth it to shop around. 15 min can save you... (wait now I sound like a Progressive insurance commercial! LOL)

Got a couple of quotes so far...

- Progressive - more expensive than Geico for similar coverages
- Ameriprise Costco - declined coverage because of the accident. I will try calling them as well to see if that changes anything

I have also reached out to my home policy agent (who works with multiple companies) to get his help shopping around for me.

Geico just jacked up my rates $300 a year, so I am now shopping around after flirting with leaving them when I bought the Tesla. I did just get a quote from Progressive for back to what I was previously paying with Geico and am considering it.

I contacted this broker below as she was mentioned by several in another post. I am waiting quotes from her:

Jennifer Silva l Vice President, Personal Risk Advisor
Aon Private Risk Management Insurance Agency, Inc.

[email protected]

I’ve had Electric Insurance Co. for about 12 years, on home and autos, and have been very pleased with their service (never said that about any insurance co. before). When I got my S a few months ago, I added the S to that insurance. I mean, it’s ELECTRIC Insurance !!! Can’t hurt for you to get a quote - Coverage for your auto, home & more l Electric Insurance

And no, I have no stake at all in Elec Ins.

• Informative
Just finished working with Jennifer from Aon and she got me a Traveler's policy with comparable coverage to Geico $700 less than what I pay now. I ended up also moving my Home owner's and purchasing an Umbrella policy also through her. She's been great to work with, highly recommend!

I haven't seen anyone on these forums with Traveler's, so I have no idea what to expect if I get into an accident, but I read a lot of horror stories with Geico/Tesla, so figure that won't really matter at this point.

+++1 USAA. been a member for 30 years and regularly shop rates when costs creep. Rates can’t be beat and more importantly, when you need to file a claim, they are responsive, quick and make the claims process as simple as possible.

Find an insurance broker who can look at multiple companies. Every situation is different and insurance companies look at them differently as well. Also bundling policies to include your home/other autos/boats/etc will save you quite a bit of money. I pay $750/yr for my ‘17 MS