TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Which is better for groceries (Milk)? Frunk or Trunk

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jlucero, Sep 6, 2015.

1. jlucero

jlucero Member

which will cause food to spoil less quickly?

one one hand, the frunk seems insulated and no direct sun. but the trunk may have more ventilation from AC while in the car. also you can leave the AC on in the car/trunk if you want.

need to leave some milk in the car for an hour in the hot texas sun tomorrow...

2. mmccord

mmccord Member

I would put it in front of the rear seats and leave the A/C running.

3. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Bring a cooler with some ice. Problem solved.

4. freeewilly

freeewilly Member

A little bit off topic. When I picked up Pizza yesterday, I was thinking about where should I put the Pizza. I decided to put it in the frunk, so the smell won't get into the car.

5. yo mama

yo mama Member

Wait, you're going to *stop* driving? :wink:

For what it's worth, the trunk doesn't seem to stay as cool as the main cabin when the A/C is on - I suspect this is due to direct sunlight and proximity from A/C vents. We noticed this on a recent trip where my dog (happily) rode in the trunk area. I'm not sure about how effective the A/C is at cooling the frunk. My guess is the best place would be in the "smuggler's compartment" under the regular trunk floor, which is out of the direct sunlight but gets some benefit from the A/C.

6. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

If it's going to sit for an hour, I'd try to rejigger your schedule to buy the milk afterwards. Otherwise, bring a cooler.

7. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

I've transported cases of wine in the frunk. Bought a couple ice bags and put them in there with it.

8. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Depends.

If it's stinky = Frunk

If you need to keep it cool = Trunk

Plus the Frunk you have to be more careful with opening/closing.

9. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

Floor of front passenger seat, Climate adjusted to LO temp and Foot Vents, and either set it to Camping Mode with the 3rd party Remote S app, or restart the climate every 20 minutes with the Tesla app.
    Cooler and ice is the shorter but valid answer.

10. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

I always keep a small cooler in my car.... mostly for impromptu coral purchases for my aquarium, but it has saved me for other uses, too!

11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I always figured the frunk was better than the trunk because there is no radiant energy from the sun beating in from the hatch window in the frunk. No doubt front floor is the coolest place. However, most grocery stores now ask you if you want ice on your cold things. I almost always decline as I figure that if it hasn't caused a problem yet, it's not going to do so now. Of course, I also have never had very far to go between home and the grocery store. YMMV.

12. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Agree. I wouldn't leave milk in the car for an hour in Texas if not in a cooler. AC good idea too.

13. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Ten or fifteen minutes is okay. 45 minutes halves milk's shelf life (or more if it's really hot). Note that the paper bags actually provide a fair bit of insulation.

14. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Sorry to be off topic but you comment rends me that after 4 months of ownership I had my first Tesla related dream last night. In the dream I creased the frunk. It was good to wake up and realize it was just a dream... :)

15. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

I find that the wheel well in the trunk is sized just right for 1 or 2 4l (1gal) jugs of milk and will hold them tight without tossing them around if you happen to be driving a bit spirited.

16. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

Use the A/C. But if not, set the car to vent, and bring a thick blanket that you wrap aroundt the milk before placing the milk on the floor in front of the front passenger seat. (Cooler also works.)

17. deonb

deonb Active Member

Or just buy ultra-pasteurized milk like the rest of the world... I grew up on this stuff. You can leave it unrefridgerated for like 6 months.

I just recently saw my local grocery store sells it. Of course, they keep it in a fridge for who knows what reason :rolleyes:

18. jlucero

jlucero Member

i guess i could do a test and put a thermometer in all these spots and see where it is the hottest!

19. eloder

eloder Member

This would be my suggestion as well :) I have milk shipped to me off Amazon, and it does just fine leaving it unchilled for weeks as I get around to it. Super cheap and super convenient.

20. jlucero

jlucero Member

well the question wasnt really pertained to milk specifically. we sometimes get take out chinese food, and sometimes the food will sit in the for 30 minutes or so while we are running other errands.