Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which is the best App to use for remotely accessing the Tesla?

Which mobile operating system are you using for your mobile phone

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1 for Remote S.
I like that it provides more info at a glance on a single screen, including odometer reading, charging rate details, etc. It also supports Apple Watch which I find handy, e.g. to check charging status or turn HVAC on remotely without taking out my phone. The developer is very responsive to bug fixes and suggestions, which compared to some big companies is, well, you know... ;)

I do also use the standard Tesla app and like its notifications for charging, sw updates, etc. it will be interesting to see what'll be included in the promised upcoming update to Tesla's standard app.

I use both the Tesla app and remote S. I hope one of them will offer a HVAC schedule function soon. I know tesla has a schedule learner app, but my schedule is not that simple. I would like to program it myself (e.g. Weekdays 8am, 2pm)

On the non-Tesla apps are you giving up info that could possibly fall into the hands of a hacker? That thought is keeping me for trying any of these 3rd party apps.
You can find discussion of this sort of issue in the Remote S thread here on TMC, for example see posts #1713 , or posts like #1601 by the Remote S developer himself - he even offers to let people view the sourcecode to check how he handles logins. In a nutshell Remote S requests an access token from Tesla's server but your username password and the token itself are only stored on your iPhone's keychain

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I'd never use a 3rd party app, you are effectively giving the keys to your car to someone you don't know when you do that. They can make all the assurances they want. Unless you're compiling it yourself at the end of the day there is no way to tell if they are doing something shady or not with it.

I'd stick with the official Tesla app.

Reactions: California Roll
What are people using Remote S for that the official app does not do?
I have both. I have stopped using official app. It's good when you are new. But one you know what you want and want do something quick, then remote S does the job. It's much faster to load and work with. I like everything is on one screen - intimidating at first but once you get used to, it's great.

I share the concern of the cautious here that giving your account credentials to a 3rd party is too risky.

While it sounds like that Remote S developer is a good actor in terms of how he approaches your personal information, for me the whole notion of entrusting others with your access credentials introduces too much risk.

YMMV

Reactions: California Roll
What are people using Remote S for that the official app does not do?
Primary thing for me is speed of connection. Much faster than official Tesla's own APP.
agree - speed of connection, plus overall speed to do what you need to do
I already mentioned a couple things earlier that fit this description 1) more info at a glance on the main screen of remote S including some info not available in the official app (instead of flipping between several panes) and 2) Apple Watch support
Typically I might use the app to quickly check charge status, or to preheat the car before I get back to it after an evening out

I'll add a third handy feature Remote S offers that's not supported by the official app: 3D Touch
so if you have an iPhone 6 or later & iOS 9 or later, you can press firmly on the app icon and it brings up a shortcut menu without even launching the app - e.g. a quick and easy way to start the HVAC.

Here's the 3D Touch shortcut menu that pops up when you firmly press the Remote S icon:
IMG_5098.PNG