Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which is the best PG&E TOU Rate for New Installs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am lucky, I do not have a slab foundation.

But, seems one can just snake any pipe through the walls.

My wife and I currently have ZERO and I mean ZERO desire to have an EV!!! When we pack up our family, kids and grandkids for our 500 mile trip to Disneyland, first we have and love our mini van. Second, we make or quick 5 minute stop for gas, even though we probably do not need to stop, but a good time for a potty break and a little leg stretching. No way ever would I want to have to add to a trip but can I find a place, and have the time to charge batteries. Just not us, no matter what the government does.
I like going fast so I drive a Tesla EV. Smiles/mile ratio is very high even with big old Model X. 0-60 in a little over 4 seconds never gets old. As does being able to squirt through traffic like a sports car. And now that I am retirement age, I figure I am going to be dead in less than 30 years, so I am spending my children's inheritance.

I like going fast so I drive a Tesla EV. Smiles/mile ratio is very high even with big old Model X. 0-60 in a little over 4 seconds never gets old. As does being able to squirt through traffic like a sports car. And now that I am retirement age, I figure I am going to be dead in less than 30 years, so I am spending my children's inheritance.
I drive a 1990 nissan maxima with 120K miles. I spent my kids inheritance on my house remodel. Solar panels. Generators, :)

I thought he said he was on PG&E

Some counties like mine have a CCA (it’s called MCE here) where the homeowner pays the CCA for generation but pays PG&E for transmission. So the bill is a cluster of weird credits and net outs and it’s tough to figure out what’s what.

So I just add up the total energy bill and divide by the kWh used. Then I get pissed when it’s $0.40 total per kWh ($550 and 1,400 kWh in the hot summer months).

And then I get the nasty grams from PG&E telling me I’m a terrible person who wastes lots of energy. My next door neighbors get the same treatment... this whole energy racket sucks.

Some counties like mine have a CCA (it’s called MCE here) where the homeowner pays the CCA for generation but pays PG&E for transmission. So the bill is a cluster of weird credits and net outs and it’s tough to figure out what’s what.

So I just add up the total energy bill and divide by the kWh used. Then I get pissed when it’s $0.40 total per kWh ($550 and 1,400 kWh in the hot summer months).

And then I get the nasty grams from PG&E telling me I’m a terrible person who wastes lots of energy. My next door neighbors get the same treatment... this whole energy racket sucks.
Pacific Graft and Extortion has to pay for there inadequate maintenance on there infrastructure as well as the costs of the fires they started.

• Love
Reactions: sorka and EVDRVN
for power exported to the grid, you get credit towards your annual NEM bill, not your monthly bill.
Make sure they are crediting your NEM. You should see the balance on your monthly bill. When I installed PWs (had solar before), they messed up my billing and I wasn't getting credit. Took several phone calls to make them understand. They finally fixed after 3 months and I got a retroactive bill with the credits applied.

After back and forth by emails from PG&E, I finally found where they tabulated my solar contributions, it is on page 4 or 5 in the upper right hand corner, that looked like this:

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 5.37.12 PM.jpg

So in December I consumed 786.5 kWh and only generated 195.8 kWh, so I was charged 590.6 kWh and varying price points since I am on the time of use and EVA plan. Not that I have a choice. So I guess I am getting credit for the power I generate and the Tesla is probably doubling my power use. So if I could generate more, that would help.

sigh

After back and forth by emails from PG&E, I finally found where they tabulated my solar contributions, it is on page 4 or 5 in the upper right hand corner, that looked like this:

View attachment 636558

So in December I consumed 786.5 kWh and only generated 195.8 kWh, so I was charged 590.6 kWh and varying price points since I am on the time of use and EVA plan. Not that I have a choice. So I guess I am getting credit for the power I generate and the Tesla is probably doubling my power use. So if I could generate more, that would help.

sigh

Just be glad you don't have a CCA (community choice aggregation) layered on top of your NEM with PG&E. Those bills get idiotic.

BTW if you had a net use of 561 kWh, was your December energy bill still like like $200? If you have Powerwalls, do you think you could have gotten that down by shoving your consumption out of the peak times on EV2A?

I'm on PG&E and have 11.8 PV with 3 PWs.
My 12/21 thru 1/20 was:
Total grid use = 1064
Exported to Grid = -153
Net = 911 for a charge of $186.11. Additional NBCs of $21.64
I time shift with the PWs, but in the winter I'm very conservative with the reserve. I adjust from 70% to 80% depending on the forecast

I'm on PG&E and have 11.8 PV with 3 PWs.
My 12/21 thru 1/20 was:
Total grid use = 1064
Exported to Grid = -153
Net = 911 for a charge of $186.11. Additional NBCs of $21.64
I time shift with the PWs, but in the winter I'm very conservative with the reserve. I adjust from 70% to 80% depending on the forecast

If I ever get my stupid system activated, I'll see if my monthly NBC's come in aroudn $21.64 with the NEMMT. Thanks!

My main complaint with not being able to charge from the grid is that at night or in rainy or cloudy days you do not get enough solar to charge your Powerwalls. If you are trying to save money you will need to run your house off the Powerwalls during peak times. Getting the ITC does not help you with the above, if you just want to run in back up mode it is not a problem. So again not being able to charge your Powerwalls from the grid is stupid.

Even with half the days cloud in January where I am, there was still enough sun to keep me from using a single kWH hour of peak from the grid.

Just be glad you don't have a CCA (community choice aggregation) layered on top of your NEM with PG&E. Those bills get idiotic.

BTW if you had a net use of 561 kWh, was your December energy bill still like like $200? If you have Powerwalls, do you think you could have gotten that down by shoving your consumption out of the peak times on EV2A?

Hi, Holydonut (what a funny name!), you are probably right. Yes, my bill was high in December, and the stupid Net Metering means you have to prepare your anticipated end of year bill every month to keep ahead of the big bill at the end of the year. I have 14 panels on my roof and a whole house battery (sadly, not a power wall, those were not available when I was installing these). The battery in my garage is designed as an emergency backup power source and cannot be programed to "go off the grid" on command, like every night. It kicks in when the power goes out (which seems to happen frequently here in urban California). It discharges a little at night and then charges up in the day. It is a 7.7 kW battery by Sunverge that is maintained at about 5.5 kW and cycles down to 85% at night and then charges up during the day to 99%.

Having an electric car seems to have impacted my power bill, my charges were a lot less before EV (even though I charge the car at night when the rates are supposedly lower). I am generating 12-14 kW during the day in winter and up to 25-26 kW per day in the summer. My MX 100D could probably charge half of my street for about 3 days (that is funny to think about, just musing). I could hang out at the superchargers every few days but it is a lot easier to put the car in the garage, charge a little at night and spend time at home.

Here is the Sunverge battery in the garage:

IMG_3089.jpg