Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which is worse? 100% SOC or nearly empty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps not in such specific terms, but it was observed a long time ago (years) that rated range could go up a few hours after charging completed. I think people have even captured this in visible tesla; the graph does an instantaneous climb.

Yes, it was through Visible Tesla that we noticed it.

The second poster noticed that the time that passed for him was much shorter than it was for me. His car was fairly new--six weeks old, with 1500 miles and mine was about five months old, with about 8000 miles on it. It was the first range charge for both of us.

My point is that I think we're adding a piece to the "what happens during a range charge concerning pack balancing" puzzle, in that it looks like something is happening after all the juice is in (the part you just said was already known, if not in those specific terms), and that that something takes longer the longer it has been (mileage, time, etc.) since the last range charge. (It's this last part that I don't think I've seen anyone identify any where before this.) Having someone who range charges frequently, and also uses VT that could add a data point to confirm this would help confirm the theory. Then those that understand a lot more about the pack balancing, etc. than I do might be able to infer something with that extra puzzle piece.

That's all I'm suggesting.

The second poster noticed that the time that passed for him was much shorter than it was for me. His car was fairly new--six weeks old, with 1500 miles and mine was about five months old, with about 8000 miles on it. It was the first range charge for both of us.

I can confirm that. When my car was new I charged to 100% and it stopped right when I hit 100. 50k miles later, the same thing, the Charger would continue for 20 min after it had reached 100%. I didn't let it finish as I had to leave.

I can confirm that. When my car was new I charged to 100% and it stopped right when I hit 100. 50k miles later, the same thing, the Charger would continue for 20 min after it had reached 100%. I didn't let it finish as I had to leave.

I appreciate that, but that's not what we're talking about. It would probably help if you checked the other (referenced) thread.

To clarify, we are talking about what happens --AFTER-- the charge actually completes. The car or the app or both will indicate the charge has completed. Visible Tesla will show that juice is no longer flowing into the car, after possibly taking a very long time to finally finish, as it did in your second example above when it didn't actually finish. --AFTER-- all that--one hour after it for the newer car, and more than four hours after it for my car--Visible Tesla showed a sudden increase in range, with nothing else going on. The cars had been doing something during that time--computing or some sort of continued balancing without power coming in--something--and then changed what they were reporting as range well after the charges completed.