Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which lane do you auto steer in on the highway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which lane do you typically use for autosteer on the highway, and why? I've been using the #3 lane (on highways where #1 lane is carpool) because I get anxious about motorcycles splitting lanes. Curious what other people do in traffic vs in full speed, if different.

I use lane 1 w/AP1, and lane 2 or 3 w/AP2 depending on traffic conditions.
Not comfortable with AP2 unpredictably hunting/overcorrecting while in the HOV lanes.

Only reaction to MCs occurs once detected by the front of camera, which may temporarily slow TACC depending on MC speed and always displays the MC on the dash. The side sensors do not move the car, only display location sensitivity similar to any other obstacle. Hopefully, the side cameras will eventually trigger defensive actions but I don't experience anything now. Do others?

AP1. Being centered in the lane works best in middle lanes - as many have noted people tend to shade to the outside when driving edge lanes. Still I'll use it in any lane. Just a bit more vigilant when in the outside lanes. Haven't had much opportunity to use it for carpool lanes, Washington state doesn't give a free ride to EVs.

I use lane #1 as HOV access is key on my daily commute in AP1. I am extra vigilant in construction zones with cement barriers making up the left lane line but haven't had any weird behavior. I end up making room for large bagger/cruiser motorcycles as I don't want to risk contact but it is worth it to move a little quicker than the general population.