TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Which lane do you auto steer in on the highway?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by sheenn, Apr 20, 2017.

1. sheenn

sheenn Member

Which lane do you typically use for autosteer on the highway, and why? I've been using the #3 lane (on highways where #1 lane is carpool) because I get anxious about motorcycles splitting lanes. Curious what other people do in traffic vs in full speed, if different.

2. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

Whatever lane I happen to be in

• Like x 6
  3. Olle

Olle Member

Any lane, I use AP almost all the time on highway. Always ready to take over though.

4. HookBill

HookBill Member

Any lane, but I try to avoid a lane where traffic will be merging or there Is a high likelihood that AP could get confused.

• Like x 3
  5. JoelH

JoelH Member

Good point about lane splitting motorcycles. Anyone experienced that while in AP (particularly AP2)? Does it freak out?

6. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Member

I'll add to this that I tend to avoid lanes where there's a physical barrier bordering it. It seems to always handle it ok, but the amount of drift I get during turns makes me nervous when I'm right up against a wall/divider

7. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Member

I've had it a couple times. The car seems to move over a little bit away from the motorcycle and then move back after it passes.

8. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

Usually the middle lane.
    I avoid the left lane to allow faster cars to pass, avoid the right lane for merging vehicles (and tendency to drift off to exit).

• Like x 1
  9. dmode

dmode Member

Most of the time lane #2 or 3. Although, sometimes I prefer the leftmost lane as it has minimum merges to deal with.

10. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

I use lane 1 w/AP1, and lane 2 or 3 w/AP2 depending on traffic conditions.
    Not comfortable with AP2 unpredictably hunting/overcorrecting while in the HOV lanes.

Only reaction to MCs occurs once detected by the front of camera, which may temporarily slow TACC depending on MC speed and always displays the MC on the dash. The side sensors do not move the car, only display location sensitivity similar to any other obstacle. Hopefully, the side cameras will eventually trigger defensive actions but I don't experience anything now. Do others?

11. henderrj

henderrj Member

AP1. Being centered in the lane works best in middle lanes - as many have noted people tend to shade to the outside when driving edge lanes. Still I'll use it in any lane. Just a bit more vigilant when in the outside lanes. Haven't had much opportunity to use it for carpool lanes, Washington state doesn't give a free ride to EVs.

12. Tjhappel

Tjhappel Member

I have AP2 and Hov lanes are can be a bit weird, especially with construction etc.. lane 3 on my routes to work have the best striped lines, with proper striped lines AP2 is doing pretty good. Not ap1 good but getting there.

13. joebiker25

joebiker25 Member

I use lane #1 as HOV access is key on my daily commute in AP1. I am extra vigilant in construction zones with cement barriers making up the left lane line but haven't had any weird behavior. I end up making room for large bagger/cruiser motorcycles as I don't want to risk contact but it is worth it to move a little quicker than the general population.