Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which M3 shape would you buy when it is released?

Which M3 shape would you buy when it is released?

• Liftback sedan (MS style)

Votes: 82 56.2%
  • Liftback CUV/SUV (MX style) + 3-4" height

Votes: 24 16.4%
  • Estate wagon (similar to Volvo V40/Audi Avant/etc)

Votes: 26 17.8%
  • I want something different..!

Votes: 14 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I expect Tesla will continue with the hatch back like the Model S since it is so much more versatile than a sedan. I haven't owed a sedan for over 25 years.
If the Model 3 comes out with only a sedan model I will have to seriously reconsider buying it.
My son's first car was a sedan and it didn't take him long to realize what a pain it was to carry much of anything. It was gone after a couple of years.

Elon Musk on Twitter:

"Model 3, our smaller and lower cost sedan will start production in about 2 years. Fully operational Gigafactory needed."

He said sedan.

Anyway, even though *I* like sedans doesn't mean I need *everybody* to want a sedan, and I'm one of the first to hope they have a common skateboard upon which you could put anything: van, SUV, sedan, hatchback, pickup truck, flatbed, etc. Tesla could offer a couple dozen fronts, middles and rears for mixing and matching. Perhaps they could even have options in the length and width of the vehicle, as well as sliders for how the various sections match up to that, and that would modify the battery options available. Tesla would specify the constraints, and turn it into the appropriate subquantity of selectable items to make it raise to economy of scale, safety, government compliance, and financial viability (as a product to sell to buyers).

Edit: At some point, monetarily middle and poor people who want something like a Tesla Model S will just buy a Tesla Model S, used, for way less money than new, but that point is about 10 years after they first came out, so 2022. Yes, we're waiting for 2022, with a ramp up into 2023 to 2026. Ugh.

Edit 2: A lot of people hate the weirdmobile aspect of the Insight, Prius, and Leaf. I personally DETEST the ugliness of the Insight and Prius, and would never get in one because of that. But I found the Leaf shape pleasing, but since it failed crash safety tests, I have programmed myself not to expect that shape in any vehicle I end up buying. I would NEVER BUY an ugly vehicle; if Model 3 sacrifices looks for cost, I would not get it. I like the look of boxy Volvo's, stylish Mercedes, and other box-like and rounded-like shapes (I love many of the very shapely vehicles of classical nature, before the awful 1970s). I absolutely hate the look of minivans, and those who drive them, too; I'd rather have a full van, truck, or SUV. There are a million beautiful shapes, and a thousand butt-ugly ones; it seems every car made 1970-1990 was BUTT UGLY, except for Volvo. There's lots of aerodynamic light weight low cost shapes to choose from, and lots of butt ugly ones, too. Don't turn it into a tird. Tirds are aerodynamic. Doesn't mean to do it.

I think I hate minivans, Insights and Prius's because they look like tirds, or neanderthals -- stupid and/or crap. But I also hated every car ever made 1970-1990 except a few I can count on one hand, so it's an aesthetics thing. By the way, not everyone agrees with me, but most people with good eyeballs do, so it shouldn't be hard to figure out pleasing shapes of any potential Model 3.

I can't answer the poll here because I don't care. I looked at Audi Avant & Volvo V40 and think they're ugly (they look like tirds), but I had a 1982 Volvo stationwagon and I liked it, and both of those are supposedly the same category, but I would not buy one and already did buy the other. I would not get a Honda Insight but I would get a Model S at 1/7th its price new (ala my MB), and both of those are supposedly the same category. I would not get a minivan but I would get a van or SUV, and both of those are supposedly the same category. To me looks matters more than category.

Last edited:
A valid point, but rumors say it will have a far more conventional design, along the lines of the nissan sway concept. And they will launch a hybrid and an all electric version.
Not a rumor. Nissan head of design says it will be mainstream - I hope the current form continues as Leaf Classic.

I don't think there will be a Hybrid Leaf. The plugin hybrid would be the Z successor they showed as a concept recently.

They'll also have a CUV BEV by the time 3 is sold.

Last edited:
Odd. I was looking at what "styles" I like. Unfortunately, I just found out I'm an outlier:

* I love almost every Ford shape, and like most of the Hyundai, Infiniti, Mercedes shapes.
* I hate almost every Dodge, BMW, Bently, Honda, Nissan, VW I see.
* Chevy & Toyota have a few ok looking vehicles, but most their owners are strange, and I hate their mechanics.

For some manufacturers, they used to make nice looking vehicles, and lately everything they make looks like tirds (Volvo, and to a lesser extent, Chevy).

Hmmmm - looking at the voting, it seems that there would be quite a market for a non-MS style lift back as well.

Would it be possible to meld a SUV with a wagon to cover both markets satisfactorily? A slightly taller wagon OR a more wagon-like SUV?

Maybe the wagon brigade want a low slinky car with a little more practicality..... And the SUVers want tall and kid/equip easy

A slightly taller wagon ...

Is not that what they call a "SUV" or "CUV"?

... OR a more wagon-like SUV?

You mean a SUV that has the same hight as the "sedan"? Great idea, lets call it a "station wagon" ;)

... on the more serious side: What they do is in my opinion to take a wagon, make it higher, shorter and uglier and call it a "SUV". What I want is a "sedan" type car with max utility and luggage space. And that is what they call a wagon. My second choice is a "liftback" - just like the MS got today - not a SUV/CUV.

model-s-wagon.jpg

JER, the car selection in the UK isn't really representative. Because of the high insurance cost of middle segment vehicles, people will either stick to small lowcost hatchbacks or they have enough money to not care and drive a really expensive car. You simply can't buy a second hand Audi A4 and pay 200 euros third party only insurance here. You get to the point where the insurance after a few years is more than what you payed for the car.

The Ten Most Expensive Places To Buy A Car No 7 ^^

Last edited:
There might be more to it than just price. Some people just prefer that.

I routinely see high-end Golf GTx/R models that (optioned) list well over £30k new - or more than the base Model 3 is expected to be. I see some A3s around too, and they're £20-30k. High-end Fiestas / STs, just shy of £20k.

I don't have to drive more than a few minutes to see at least one of these. They aren't exactly unpopular on the continent either.

As for insurance, I've typically paid ~£200-250 PA for fully comprehensive on cars in that price range. Insurance gets crazy if you're in a high-risk group, but that's true in most markets.

I would LOVE a hatchback coupe or convertible but since those likely won't be options in the near future I'd be very happy with a scaled down MS. Some of these taller, more egg shaped renderings floating around are starting to freak me out though. I want something at least as good looking as my current ride (A4), not some funky appliance like pod that's different for the sake of being different.

I'm not really fussy. Sedan, liftback CUV/SUV. I had to look at pictures of the Volvo V40/Audi Avant for reference not having any idea what they look like, and my reaction was "Ew," so not that. I wouldn't like the full sized body type with the trunk separate from the passenger compartment either. I like being able to fold down seats for more cargo space.