Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Maintenance Plan and Extended Service Agreement Did You Get? Anyone Run the Numbers?

Which Maintenance/Extended Service Plans Did You Get?

• 0/0 (neither)

Votes: 41 63.1%
  • 3/0 (3 yr. maintenance and no extended service)

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • 3/2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3/4

• 4/0

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • 4/2

• 4/4

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • 0/2

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • 0/4

Votes: 7 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The maintenance plans offer a savings of less than $200 over a 3-4 year period. It'd be better to put that money into something that grows so you'd make more than $200 over the 4 year period. Thats also assuming you do all the services. Many of us skip services because they're not that necessary. I did the first annual maintenance and I dont plan to do another one till 50,000 miles.

As for extended warranty, thats always a gamble. But remember they wouldn't offer it unless it makes money for them.

For our S P85 (VIN 3xxx), we purchased the 4 year/50K mile extended warranty and 8 years/100K miles service plan. Our P85 is nearing 90K miles - and we've used both.

For our S 100D, we purchased the 4 year/50K extended warranty and 4 years/50K miles of service (they no longer offer the 8 year plan).

A couple of points to consider:
  1. The original warranty and extended warranty are contingent upon having recommended maintenance. If you don't perform the recommended annual (12.5K mile) maintenance, Tesla may have grounds to void the warranty, if they determine the failure may have at least been partly due to the lack of maintenance.
  2. The original extended warranty did not include towing. The frunk latch broke when we were at a supercharger in the middle of Kansas on a road trip. Since the frunk wouldn't close fully, Tesla advised against driving it on the highway and recommended the car be towed to the nearest Service Center in east Kansas City. Fortunately our insurance company includes coverage for towing to the nearest qualified service center - otherwise we would have been on the hook for towing. The current extended warranty now includes towing.
  3. The maintenance plan provides a small discount over the CURRENT service prices. Since receiving our S P85, there have been some increases in the a la carte service costs - purchasing the 4 year service plan locks in the current prices, possibly providing an even better discount. And, I believe that should you sell your car prior to the end of the service plan, you should be able to either get a proportional refund or be able to transfer the unused portion of the plan with the car.
  4. The extended warranty is legalized gambling. If Tesla has estimated the warranty costs correctly, you should expect that roughly half of owners will save by having the warranty and roughly have will not have enough repairs to justify the extended warranty cost.
  5. HOWEVER, the repair strategy is different when you are under a warranty vs. paying for the parts/service a la carte. When our frunk latch failed, because we were under warranty, Tesla replaced every part that might have contributed to the failure. If we'd been paying for the repairs - we probably would have tried to save some $$$ by reducing the number of parts replaced, and then increase the risk that whatever caused the failure could have recurred if it wasn't caused by the replaced parts.
When we get our Model 3 - we'll likely again purchase the extended warranty and the longest maintenance plan available.

Well said. Tesla is the first extended warranty I've ever bought, but my feeling is that one MCU failure or other component like that more than pays for it. As far as the maintenance goes, the savings are minimal, but I like the idea of locking in the price. I suspect price will go up as Model 3s start rolling out en masse...

I am still on the fence with respect to the maintenance plans and have ample time to make the extended warranty decision. I do like the fact that I can make the extended warranty decision "years" later. By then, with forums such as this one, there should be ample evidence from real-world experiences to determine the right answer.

We purchased the 4 year/50K extended warranty as well as 4 year service as soon as they were both made available for our early 2013 Model S. We saved a fair bit on the maintenance (they raised prices later) and have come out ahead (already) on the warranty. We had the screen/MCU replaced (oozing) outside of warranty which more than paid for the cost.

Is that for the Maintenance Plan?

I never bothered purchasing the Maintenance Plan because I didn't see the value. Interestingly, the maintenance plans are no longer shown as available for my Dec 2016 MS.

Tesla.com says the maintenance plan can only be purchased up to one year or 12,500 miles after the vehicle purchase - whichever comes first.

Well said. Tesla is the first extended warranty I've ever bought, but my feeling is that one MCU failure or other component like that more than pays for it. As far as the maintenance goes, the savings are minimal, but I like the idea of locking in the price. I suspect price will go up as Model 3s start rolling out en masse...
Why would the price go up as they start doing more maintenance? Reverse economics of scale? Their maintenance is already at a high end car prices. Elon wants people to think maintenance of EV's is cheaper, not "more expensive than a Porsche ICE".

Reactions: Falkirk
I went with the 8 year because I was able to get a very low interest rate and finance it as part of the car.

Unfortunately I underestimated my desire to guild my Lilly and have to be careful what I change. Wheel, brakes, speakers, 12V battery and body panels all have the potential to void a warranty or at least parts of the warranty. I have asked my local SC about each change and they are more than fair. They still do alignments, inspections and support for the modified systems. Not all Mfg will do that and probably not all SC. For example, an aftermarket wheel with a different size and offset can void warranty repairs on suspension so consider what you will change before buying extended warranty.