TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Which Model 3 springs for a more comfortable ride?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by Andrew, Nov 23, 2018.

1. coleAK

coleAK Member

But with that you also get GM dependibility/reliability (questionable), quality (poor), sustainability (bankruptcies, Trucks keeping them afloat), and Cadillac world class depreciation (almost the worst in the business, thank you Rover?). Thinking of it has GM made a car in at least 15-20 years that anyone wants/buys? I’ll admit the new vette is awesome but it’s A day late and a dollar short, it’s the car they should have made 10+ years ago.

Sorry it was just too right down the middle for that one :)

2. enigmata

enigmata Member

@Andrew , @MoreAgain thanks so much for your input on this thread. I was looking for solutions to the ride quality issues on my 4/2018 VIN 12XXX LR RWD and decided to go with Unplugged for the mild lowering springs.

Was told they would put on the V2s they just got in. Super happy with the customer service, although it was a three hour wait, it was a bit longer as they adjusted the rear springs to be a bit stiffer than the front after a test drive. They even test drove it with me (A++ to Jeff at Unplugged for taking the time to show the springs out and go over the details) after, and what a difference it was!

Car looks better aesthetically with about a 1" drop. Going over small bumps or potholes feels a lot softer than before, the cabin doesn't move as much, harsh jiggles are a thing of the past. What I didn't expect was the improved corner handling - previously would zip across a tight corner with some body roll, none at all now. Wife drove it as well and remarked it was a lot closer to her air suspension Model S.

So far no clunking or spring noise after 500 miles. I definitely do appreciate the more comfortable ride, but the improved handling was a bonus for me.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. PNWLeccy

PNWLeccy Member

@Andrew - What is your VIN? I have 35XXX LR RWD and I hear a lot of clunking on even mildly bumpy roads and the ride is quite harsh. I'd like to see what version of these front coils I have - are you able to see the Front coils part number from inside the wheel well?

I've taken it in before for the clunking and harsh ride but they just shrug it off as not an issue. And I can't do a ride along w/ them now due to COVID-19.

4. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151, Model 3 #1576

Hi @PNWLeccy, sorry for taking a bit to reply. My VIN is 001576... so it's a very early one, built late December 2017.

I have the Unplugged Performance Mild Lowering Springs on the car now, and the factory springs are in storage so I can't take a look... But I pulled up the service records for ya.

We had the front springs replaced twice (and the stabilizer bars and ball joints replaced two or three times as well). First was February 2018 and was the "suspension fix" that was a service bulletin:

Concern: per service bulletin perform upgraded suspension
    Corrections: Front Suspension (including Hubs) General Diagnosis. Upgraded front suspension components per bulletin
    Corrections: Links - Front Suspension - Lower - Aft - LH/RH. Upgraded front suspension components per bulletin
    DAMPER ASSY FR LH RWD, COIL E3 (1044364-01-E) x 1
    DAMPER ASSY FR RH RWD, COIL E3 (1044369-01-E) x 1
    RR SPRING, COIL 74.7-7250 E3 RWD, E3 DM (1044472-01-D) x 2
    RR DAMPER ASSY - COIL RWD (1044461-02-C) x 2
    RR LWR FORE LINK ASSY (1044444-00-A) x 2​

Then in April 2019, which is what actually fixed the clunking... This was after we installed the mild springs, and then UPP removed them and reinstalled the factory springs, so Tesla would address the clunking:

Customer states while travelling at slow speeds over bumps there is a clunking
    noise present from suspension, mostly at the front passenger's side of the
    vehicle
    Verified concern while driving over rough roads a clunking noise can be heard
    coming from the right front strut. Lifted vehicle and inspected suspension
    components, no signs of damage or loose fasteners were found, but there
    were signs the the suspension was components have been removed prior.
    After further diagnosis found both front strut assembly clunking while driving
    over a rough road. Replaced both strut assembly and road test to verify fix, no
    noise was found after replacement

Correction: Suspension - Rear (Check Torque)

Correction: Spring and Damper Assembly - Front - LH
    DAMPER ASSY, FRONT-LEFT,COIL,RWD,E3 (DEV) (1044364-91-E) x 2

Correction: Spring and Damper Assembly - Front - RH
    DAMPER ASSY,FRONT-RIGHT,COIL,RWD,E3 (1044369-91-E)
    Once they fixed the clunking, I went back to Unplugged and they reinstalled the mild lowering springs. I've been much happier with the ride quality since (though I do wish the car hadn't been lowered -- we do tend to scrape things at times because of the lower clearance).

Hope that helps!

• Informative x 1
  5. TwoK4drSi

TwoK4drSi Member

#85 TwoK4drSi, Jul 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    Yeah I’m on springs right now and considering going to coils. Shoulda gone that route in the first place for adjustability alone but not many people had options in 2018. Leaning towards @UnpluggedP as well. Also a fellow VMR fan
    59A9B4C5-4B5E-459C-9FE1-F6A43462651E.jpeg

6. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151, Model 3 #1576

I kinda wish I went with the coilovers instead, if only because then I could have kept the stock height (and still gotten the softer ride). Of course, they cost significantly more... As far as ride quality, though, I'm quite happy with the mild lowering springs.

• Like x 1