Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Model S....Buying Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I am currently in the market for a used Model S and came across the two below. Any thoughts on one over the other? Fair prices? Anything jump out as an issue? We are in no rush to buy and have been watching prices drop over the last couple of months. I am partial to the facelift on the 2016 but the 2015 is pretty loaded and is AWD which may come in handy when we head to the mountains to ski (but not a necessity as we have other 4WDs).

Thanks in advance for the help,

Z

2015 P85D
2016 75

They are pretty different in terms of cars in my view. The 2016 75 appears to be a later 2016 build as it has AP2, so the 8-camera autopilot system. That would say it's conceptually capable of newer FSD capability if that's important to you. What's not clear about that car is whether it has free supercharging that will transfer to you. Maybe that info is buried somewhere in the add and I didn't dig deep enough to find it. However given it's a two owner car, it shows as having a non-Tesla charging cable included (not a Tesla UMC like new) I would tend to guess this likely was an auction vehicle at some point and any free supercharging likely removed. I may very well be wrong, and that won't be important to you, but just my hunch.

It's impossible to tell for the 2015 what condition the battery may be in relative to supercharging rate being restricted. That's been an issue with 85 packs but is highly dependent upon how much that car has been supercharged and the individual pack. Range on the 75 is likely not much different than the 85, and I would expect will supercharge little faster, making it potentially less total time on long range travel if that's important to you.

Just a couple quick observations for you.

The 2016, even though it has the cameras, will never be fully capable of self-driving. And the performance is going to take a hit vs the P85D.

The AP1 in the 2015 excellent. The battery is potentially a disaster in terms of charging speed/ability.

Tough call but I would probably go with the 2016. Especially if it has FUSC.

If you're not in a rush and you're looking at cars with 1-2 years of drivetrain warranty left, I would suggest holding out for a car that has had a brand new HV battery replacement under warranty. Some owners will sell them anyway, even with a relatively new HV battery, because they don't want to hold onto the car out of warranty.

Of course, the seller will try to get a higher price for the newer battery, but the market is falling.

Thanks for the input and advice everyone, much appreciated. I am not in a huge rush so have time to find the right deal/car. A 100D would be awesome for both distance and the AWD, will start looking at those as well. Thanks!!