Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which model S should I buy , 2017 MS 75 or 2016 MS 75D ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, everybody. This is my very first post! I'm about to buy in Switzerland my first used tesla S. I have shortlisted the following 2 cars :

A ) Tesla model S 75
Year : 05.2017
Km : 137.000
AP 2.0
Unlimited supercharging
Premium connectivity
charger upgrade to high-current charger 24Ah
8-year Tesla guarantee on battery and drive unit until 30.05.2025, unlimited kilometers
Price : 40.000 CHF

B) Tesla model S 75 D
Year : 10.2016
Km : 55.000
AP 1.0
8-year Tesla guarantee on battery and drive unit until + 1 additional year 1 guarantee
Price : 46.000 CHF

I guess having all-wheel drive is nice but I think I can leave without it. What I'm looking for is the best value for money car and long-term cost after the purchase. ( I want to own it as long as possible) AP 2.0 is appealing to me since it is my understanding that could be upgraded if needed to FSD, although not really sure about the real difference between AP 2.0 vs AP 1.0. Also, I'm not afraid about the mileage but also not sure if 137.000km . Base on my criteria, do you think it is reasonable to go for option A or do you see any red flags?

Many thanks!

V.

Hello

My remarks about option A -
Year : seems to be refresh facia (no nose-cone), so similar to the other option; but large drive unit (LDU) is vulnerable for leaking and cost to repair is quite high, symptoms are “milling noise” while driving
Km : quite high odometer
AP : version 2, Tesla own hardware and software, might lack some of the functions version 1 already has (can’t be sure as not specified the level of AP software)
Unlimited supercharging : if travelling aboard frequently or taking long trips (around 200km one leg) very useful
Premium connectivity : maps and online connectivity free of charge (might not be in US)
charger upgrade to high-current charger 24Ah : only useful if home power setup can accommodate that level of Amperage, otherwise you are only using max 11,5kW power if charging at home
8-year Tesla guarantee on battery and drive unit until 30.05.2025, unlimited kilometers : seems to not have new car warranty as this specified here is common 8-year warranty for only battery and drive-unit
Price : reflects the higher odometer

and option B -
Year : seems to be refresh facia (no nose-cone), so similar to the other option; it has two small drive units (SDU) that does not have similar leaking issue (not known so far...)
Km : less odometer that previous one (seems better on that front)
AP : version 1, MobilEye hardware and Tesla software; if activated on Tesla side then self-parking, Summon (non-smart), Homelink for gate/garage auto opening/closing, Auto-Steering, Auto-wipers and TACC included
8-year Tesla guarantee on battery and drive unit until + 1 additional year 1 guarantee : seems to include one year Tesla new car warranty for other items out of this 8-year ordinary warranty deal
Price : higher than the previous option but looks reasonable

I have 03. 2016 70D with AP1 and all the items activated. Good driving so far and these SDU are performing very well..

Last edited: