Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Model S will have best initial resale demand?

Which Model S will have the best initial resale demand?

• 40 kWh

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • 60 kWh

• 85 kWh

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Performance

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Signature

• Signature Performance

Votes: 20 42.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In light of the thread, "Second-hand price higher than new price?" I am curious which Model S we believe will have the highest initial resale demand.

As you may know, I have two reservations and have briefly entertained the idea of selling the second. At least, I entertained the idea until the knowledgeable folks here concluded that the tax credit would be nullified and therefore the margin would probably be eliminated.

But if we assume for the sake of argument that the tax credit can be retained through legerdemain, which configuration would be the best selection for resale?

Hmm, going just by the fact that the car is sold out into the beginning of 2013.... Hard to say. I'd say signature, because if people want a big battery car they could order one now and move a reasonable distance up the list. If they want a 40kw car, then they could just get in line since it's going to be a while before even those with early reservations get a 40kw car.

If we're not talking about value in the "I get it sooner" sense, then I'd imagine the 85KW non-performance cars will get the best resale values IMO. I expect more will care about range than the 1.2s increase, and I can't see many giving a hoot about the "signature" status of the vehicle.

In light of the thread, "Second-hand price higher than new price?" I am curious which Model S we believe will have the highest initial resale demand.

As you may know, I have two reservations and have briefly entertained the idea of selling the second. At least, I entertained the idea until the knowledgeable folks here concluded that the tax credit would be nullified and therefore the margin would probably be eliminated.

But if we assume for the sake of argument that the tax credit can be retained through legerdemain, which configuration would be the best selection for resale?

I'd say the performance version. Someone who wants to pay the extra for the performance will not mind a few extra $$ to get what he wants without waiting.

Initially the best resale value will be for a Signature Performance, Signature red, white leather interior, carbon fiber accents, panoramic roof, rear jumpseats, with a very low reservation number.

The sort of people willing to pay a premium over the Signature, and lose the tax credit, in order to "jump the line" for the sold-out Signature -- these people will probably pay absurd amounts of money and will want the most exclusive everything, fully loaded, whether they plan to use it or not.

I don't expect there will be that many people in that category; if you find one, write your legal documents carefully!

Initially the best resale value will be for a Signature Performance, Signature red, white leather interior, carbon fiber accents, panoramic roof, rear jumpseats, with a very low reservation number.

The sort of people willing to pay a premium over the Signature, and lose the tax credit, in order to "jump the line" for the sold-out Signature -- these people will probably pay absurd amounts of money and will want the most exclusive everything, fully loaded, whether they plan to use it or not.

I don't expect there will be that many people in that category; if you find one, write your legal documents carefully!
Whether that's true or not, I'm not getting the jumpseats. :p