Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which model to buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
I'm curious for your perspective on what car I should buy?

Context: I can afford any of the options below, but I am generally thrifty. I have 2 kids in car seats (4 and 1) and likely a third coming in about a year. I previously had a 2 year lease on a late 2016 Model S 75D which I liked a lot. In particular I was a huge fan of the autopilot, comfort and lack of noise while driving. The main thing I didn't like was the attention it got me (this was before the model 3)

Nice to haves:
  • Minimal charging stops between RTP NC and Asheville/Wilmington/DC (230-260 miles each way)
  • Works well for road trips to FL with full family
My current thinking:
  1. Used 2017 Model S - likely a 75 (~$43k) or 90D (~$48k)
  2. Used 2017 Model X (6 seater) - I'm scared off by the FWD (I really don't want attention) and lack of range. I had a loaner a few years back and didn't like driving it as much as the S
  3. New Model Y - I test drove one and wasn't impressed by feel/road noise compared to my previous S
  4. New Model 3 - Y feels like better choice with kids
  5. New S/X - I'm not excited by the redesign and the price increase completely rules this out
Am I thinking about this right? It feels like the 90D might be worth it for less charging stops with the kids.

Given the redesign, any thoughts on when prices for used teslas might drop?

Honestly... with 3 kids in car seats / boosters my answer would probably be "none of the above". :(

The 3/Y is a non-starter for three across in the back with car seats.

S is gonna be dismal even if the 4 year old graduates to a booster soon.

X is really your only solid choice in the Tesla family and I'm with you on the gawdy doors and questionable reliability of the early X copies.

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
Depends on your feelings of how soon you'll allow your eldest in a booster instead of a front-facing. Seven seater Y with booster seat in the third row could be doable (but I haven't seen videos of moving the second row seat with a front-facing and/or rear-facing installed, so maybe it's a non-starter).