Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which NEMA Adapters to carry?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks! I was unaware of the TT-30. I also didn't know that the 14-50 was often available at the parks. That sounds useful as, I'd imagine, parks might be some distance from SuperChargers.

I think the J1772 is included with the car. Is that correct?
You'll never see the plug type listed for parks, but when they advertise "50 amp service" it's always a 14-50. And likewise, "30 amp service" always means TT-30.
Another tip, many of the parks we've camped at have old and slightly corroded breaker boxes. I always start off at a lower current (10 amps below) then gradually increase. Often, 40 amp charging (50 amp circuit) will trip the breaker and we have to charge at 35 amps.

I initially ordered the TT-30 EVSEadapter ($90) but cancelled the order when I found the TT-30P to 14-30R adapter for $30. As the OP seemed to be cost-conscious I elected to mention the cheaper adapter over the more expensive. The only advantage that I can see is that the EVSEadapter has the standard temperature sensor built-into the plug.
And sets the current limit automatically.
Agree, not required but nice to have. I was willing to pay extra for it, and I already have the proper tt30 to 14-50. Just didn’t want my wife to have to do anything except plug in

I agree with the priority list above.

But depends where you go. My relatives have a 6-50 in their garage.

ive only used the j1772, 6-50 at relatives, and 14-50 or tt30 camping.

Reactions: cwerdna
At campgrounds the 30 amp (TT30P) is still a 120 volt circuit. So it charges pretty slow at Level 1. The 50 amp campsites with 14-50 outlet are 240 volt Level 2 and will allow your UMC to charge at it's max rate.

I think the best extra adapter to have is the 14-50. Not much need for the others unless you know of a place that has a specific outlet you can use.

Reactions: brkaus and Rocky_H
Everybody has different needs. I roam quite a bit and have used 14-50, 14-30, 6-50, 10-50, 10-30, TT-30, and very rarely 5-15. I also have (unused to date) 6-30, Chademo, and 5-20, plus some Y-connectors.

My most useful “adapter” is a 30 foot 14-50 extension cord. Often the outlet is not near where I can park. All my dongles have 14-50 receptacles.

I initially ordered the TT-30 EVSEadapter ($90) but cancelled the order when I found the TT-30P to 14-30R adapter for $30. As the OP seemed to be cost-conscious I elected to mention the cheaper adapter over the more expensive. The only advantage that I can see is that the EVSEadapter has the standard temperature sensor built-into the plug.

That's certainly a workable solution, but I prefer to pay extra and avoid daisy-chaining adapters. Somehow it seems less precarious.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
I initially ordered the TT-30 EVSEadapter ($90) but cancelled the order when I found the TT-30P to 14-30R adapter for $30. As the OP seemed to be cost-conscious I elected to mention the cheaper adapter over the more expensive.
🤨? But then that requires him to also buy the Tesla 14-30 adapter. So it's not just $30; it's $65. OK, that's still cheaper than $89, but:

The only advantage that I can see is that the EVSEadapter has the standard temperature sensor built-into the plug.
Two parts to this. Yes, having the temperature sensor up against the receptacle is a real part of using the safety feature of that sensor. And, chaining together more and more plugs and adapters is creating more resistive weak points. For a difference of only $24 more dollars, it seems like a good idea to do this better.

However, there is the feature that if you buy the two parts, you also have a 14-30 you can use elsewhere if that's useful.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and RayK
Would you say 5-20 is approximately 33.333% faster than 5-15? ;)
Actually no. That's why this is highly recommended by a lot of people here. If you just look at the fact the 5-15 supplies 12A and the 5-20 supplies 16A, then you would think 33%, but there's a big factor that changes that by a lot. At these low power levels, the wasted overhead from just keeping the car awake and running the charging process is pretty huge!

I'm not sure how the Model 3 and Y are doing with this, but on the older Model S, this general constant overhead during charging was around 300-400 Watts. The 120V 12A from the 5-15 is only 1,440 Watts. That is about a fourth of it just being wasted, not going into the battery! So if you get to up the current to 16A, with the same overhead losses, that's all gravy added on top, going straight to charging, so it comes out noticeably quite a bit more than 33% faster.

Actually no. That's why this is highly recommended by a lot of people here. If you just look at the fact the 5-15 supplies 12A and the 5-20 supplies 16A, then you would think 33%, but there's a big factor that changes that by a lot. At these low power levels, the wasted overhead from just keeping the car awake and running the charging process is pretty huge!

I'm not sure how the Model 3 and Y are doing with this, but on the older Model S, this general constant overhead during charging was around 300-400 Watts. The 120V 12A from the 5-15 is only 1,440 Watts. That is about a fourth of it just being wasted, not going into the battery! So if you get to up the current to 16A, with the same overhead losses, that's all gravy added on top, going straight to charging, so it comes out noticeably quite a bit more than 33% faster.

Assuming 400 watts overhead I'd then calculate 1040 watts on 5-15 and 1520 watts on 5-20. So just under 50% faster?

That makes my 30 amp marine charging seem EVEN BETTER. Rather than twice as fast it's nearly 2.5x as fast.

I think the overhead on the model 3 is around the same number from what I remember reading here.. 300-400w ish.

I think the overhead on the model 3 is around the same number from what I remember reading here.. 300-400w ish.
For the Model 3

I believe the overhead while charging the 12V battery is around 200-250 Watts.
If the car is awake but only maintaining a float voltage to the 12V battery, I am not sure how much less overhead there would be?
If the car is awake and actively charging the 12V battery, how much more overhead would be added if you were also charging the traction battery? I know there is more overhead charging at 12A/120V versus 48A/240V (mostly due to longer charging times) but what would be the approx additional overhead range be if you only charged the traction battery while the car was awake for other reasons (topping off the 12V battery, talking to the mothership etc)? I try to do most of my charging while the car is awake for other reasons usually this is topping off the 12V battery. If not driven, my Model 3 wakes up every 17.5 hours and remains awake for two hours topping off the 12V battery. I know this because I monitor the 12V battery with a Bluetooth 12V battery monitor. Scan My Tesla is a great tool but it does not give you any info while the car is sleeping the 12V monitor does.

I'd say 50 percent faster. 6 mph vs 4 mph.

I find it better to measure charge speeds in amount of energy stored rather than potential future miles driven. The mileage measure is neat, but kind of gimmicky and not particularly accurate. If you're driving low speeds in town then charging might be those higher mph numbers, but if you're driving on the interstate it could be much lower - even half.