TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Which of these tires should I go with?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by hingisfan, Mar 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

Hi guys,
    I have a rwd 60 and need new tires. I run winters, but these are for summer. I work for Goodyear, so the ones I get a good deal on, and in my price range, are what I am deciding on....

Goodyear Eagle Touring. I think these come on some Model S now, have heard they are very quiet. My car came with the Eagle RSA2s.

Goodyear Eagle RSA2. Had these as OE, not much to complain about, not great in the rain, I got about 50,000km out of them.

Dunlop Signature HP. Very good reviews on Tire Rack.

Prices roughly the same for all 3 for me.
    Thanks!

2. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

Out of those choices I'd give the GY Eagle Touring a try (the specific model for Tesla, with the sound reduction foam). That's the newest OEM tire that's shipping with new Model S cars, and it's a superior tire to the Eagle RS-A2.

The Dunlop looks like a great tire, however it's an Ultra-High Performance All-Season, as opposed to the two Goodyears, which are Grand Touring tires. If you're looking at UHP A/S tires, also look at the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, the BF GoodRich G-Force Comp-2 A/S and the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06.

3. hingisfan

What are generally the differences between UHP A/S and GT tires?

4. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Our S P85 has the Eagle RS tires and our new S 100D has the new GT tires - and the sound difference is very significant - the S 100D is much quieter on the highways.

5. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

Grand Touring tires focus on ride comfort, low noise, low energy use (in LRR variants), and long tread life, at the expense of handling/performance and tolerance to temperature extremes. The previous and current Tesla OEM 19" tires, the Michelin Primacy MXM4 and the Goodyear Eagle Touring, respectively, are both Grand Touring tires.

Ultra-high performance all-season tires focus on better handling/performance under all temperature conditions, while sacrificing some ride comfort, noise, energy use, and tread life. UHP A/S is intended for someone who is considering two sets of tires (summer set for performance in hot temperatures, and a winter set for performance in cold temperatures, and/or light snow) but wants to try to get the same temperature range of coverage in an all-season variant.

Goodyear's UHP A/S tire is the Eagle F1 Asymmetric A/S, but it isn't available in a 245/45R19 size. The Tesla original OEM tires, the Eagle RS-A2, are actually a HP A/S comparable to the other UHP A/S tires.

• Like x 1
  6. hingisfan

Thanks!
    I doubt I can get the Eagle Touring with foam from my Canadian dealer, so I think I might try the Dunlop Signature HP. They are rated for 45k miles and have stellar reviews on Tire Rack, including tread wear and noise. The lack of reviews on the GY Eagle Touring as well as no listed tread life expectancy, makes me a bit leary about them.

7. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

T
    There is no treadwear rating because there is no treadwear warranty.

8. hingisfan

Well, all 3 have a 500 rating on the UTQG index, so maybe tread life would be similar among all 3. I like it when they are confident enough to have the warranty tho.