TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Which offset for 9.5" wide rims?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by EESP, Apr 28, 2018.

1. EESP

EESP Member

Which offset will work with 9.5" wide wheels front and rear?

I have a set of wheels here which I believe is either ET35 or ET40 (marking is unclear/wrong), and they will definitely rub the suspension "strut" in the front and almost rub the inner fender liner in the rear. I need spacers, but I don't want to deviate more from stock offset than I need to..

2. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

What are the full specs on the wheels? 9.5” fronts are probably the issue and will need to be pushed out as you stated. Rears I’m surprised you’re having issues as I run a 20x10.5 with 35mm offset and haven’t had any problems.

3. EESP

EESP Member

The wheels are 9.5x19 ET35 or ET40. They will slightly rub the front suspension and they will sit uncomfortably close to the inner fender liner in the rear..

Anyonw knows if 10 mm spacers will fit with enough threads left to mount the wheel safely? The thinnest spacers that bolt to the hub are 15 mm, and although it might be fine in the rear, it will probabaly not work up front.

4. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

Since you went 1.5” wider in the front compared to stock and the wheel is touching the suspension as-is, you just need to test fit the wheel again and start detailed measurements of the studs with the wheel on. Either that or just bite the bullet and get spacers to experiment with. Assume these are used wheels that were from a different car vs you specifically ordering them, in which case an exchange might be possible (assuming you didn’t mount tires)?

5. QwiksilverA4

QwiksilverA4 Member

I run ET 25 on a 22"

6. EESP

EESP Member

I did some measurements using some genering ($8 for two) spacers - and I found I need ET30 up front to clear the front suspension by 6 mm. I will also go for ET30 in the rear, as ET35 leaves it veeeery tight on the inside. With 5 mm spacers, the wheel studs doesn't need to be changed, as the nuts will go on more than 9 full turns.

I ordered quality hubcentric wheel spacers yesterday, so I'll update when I get them and install the wheels. :)

7. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

You mean final offsets of 30mm front and rear vs buying giant 30mm spacers?

8. EESP

EESP Member

Yeah, of course! Final offset +30. You would need Porsche wheels or so (offset +60 on a lot of them) to need a 30 mm thick spacer. ;)

• Like x 1
  9. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

10. jruiz510

jruiz510 Member

Hey Guys, I ordered some wheels but they are 20X8.5 + 35 do i need any spacers for this? This is a square setup.

11. Doanster1

Doanster1 Member

Need is all in the eye of the beholder. They are fine as-is. If you want them to be flush with the fenders, then get spacers. Completely aesthetic...

• Like x 1