TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Which one to get Model S or Model X

Discussion in 'Model S' started by halg, Nov 26, 2015.

1. halg

halg Member

I am shopping for a new car, I'm married, with a one year old, and we are thinking of having another child in 1 or 2 years. I've test driven a model S for a day, for me, I love it. It's safe, fast, good looking, the attention this car gets is just amazing, a guy ran all the way from across the street just to ask me what car it is, how much is it, etc. But, everytime I put son to the car seat I always need to bend and I have to be very careful not to bump my head, and the seats are not very comfortable, and it's not roomy. Once we have 2 kids it will be a little small for the whole family. I agree the trunk space is huge, I actually tested it. I can put a stroll in,plus 2 luggages(one big, one small) and 2 big boxes. So we thought Model X is better, however, I'm concerned about the timeline, they say they will delivery the car in late 2016 if I reserve now, but based on what I've learned, 70% they will postpone, also it is really expensive, with 7 seats, premium speakers, autopilot, it's easier to hit 100k+, I just can't accept paying 1500+ a month for a car, plus, Model X is fairly new, I've sure there will be a lot of issues about the car, although they have 3 years experience of making model s, I think it's wise to wait for 2 or 3 years, for the technology/production to mature.

I'm sure there are people out there with the same dilemma, just want to see how they figure it out on which one to get.

2. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

If the physical dimensions (vertical, door openings) of the S don't work for you, you will have to balance the need for height versus the new design and potential teething problems.
    At this point, we have no data to tell us if those uber-cool doors will be reliable. Who knows! But the rest of the car will benefit from the lessons learned on the S.

I would assume that the space in the back of the S is plenty to put two kids in there without major contortions, but I am childless, and you mention this is about not bending too much. Maybe you can kneel down with one leg while moving in to put the child in his seat. I will let actual parents chime in...

As for price, it is my understanding that you are basically paying 5000$ for an X over a similar S. 80k$ for an X 70D versus 75k$ for an S 70D. Both brilliant cars for sure!

3. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Sounds like you're the target market for the X.

However, I think there's one thing to consider. The wait.

Tesla has been having problems getting parts from suppliers, so they've been ramping up production slowly. Their current priorities are The Founders editions, then the Signature Editions, the the P90D models, the 90D models, and finally the 70Ds. The 70Ds are expected to roll off the lines the second half of next year. As well, if you order an X now, your order could be on the end of whatever model list there is. If that's a coherent sentence.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Having purchased a relatively early Model S, I wouldn't be concerned with newcaritis. Mine has been just as reliable as any other car I've had and better than some. So it comes down to price and timing. I'd suggest being able to put in a child seat without bending over is worth a lot.

5. David99

David99 Active Member

I think space wise the Model S is already better than any ICE car in it's class. I have taken long trips with 3 teenage girls in the back. Girls need a lot of sh** when they travel LOL I wouldn't worry about space with two children, especially considering you can get the S with RWD which gives you a pretty large frunk. I use mine all the time. Of course the X is larger and hopefully easier to put kids in an out. But do you really want to wait more than a year? Tesla now says it'll be a year if you order now. But I wouldn't trust that estimate. So far Tesla has been consistently not met promised timelines.

6. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Yes, timing is also a big part of it. Get an S within weeks/months or an X sometime in 2016.
    Aren't we lucky to have to make those decisions? :)

7. Beryl

Beryl Member

Or 2017 depending on the model chosen.

8. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

Right.

9. scottm

scottm Active Member

You don't say what you have to drive now, maybe it will do for a while longer? You said shopping for a "car", so get a model S, it's a car.
    If you're open to SUV, then buy a 3 year old used, safe, ICE SUV with great resale value, Honda, Toyota, or something like that... as you wait out an X.
    You have baby/ies to deal with! If you find an X still affordable after a year, order one and sell your Honda when the X arrives.
    Or you might re-discover you really wanted a car instead, sell it anytime and get a model S.

10. halg

halg Member

that's my concern too.

- - - Updated - - -

exactly, I don't really trust their promised timelines.

what if you have adults sit in the back, are they comfortable for long trips? I'm sure getting Tesla we will be going road trip more than we used to, if parents come to visit, are they comfortable sit in the back?

11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Save some money and buy a CPO Model S now and then in a year or two order an X and become a 100% EV family.

12. halg

halg Member

I like your idea, it might work for me, thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

CPO cars are not cheap.

13. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

There have been some in the $40K - $50K range, but you have to be patient and quick on the draw.

14. AndreyATC

AndreyATC Member

I have three kids and I'm very comfortable in model S
    X might be a bit better for my situation, but 3 adults + 3 kids (2 carseats and 1 occupies rear jump seat) is totally fine on any trips
    Model S has a lot of space, comparable to many SUVs

P.S. We do take large bugaboo stroller with me all the time

15. halg

halg Member

do you have pictures with all 3 adults + 3 kids sitting in the car and other stuff. You must have the rear facing seats, right?