Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

which paint color is holding up the best?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you use the black rimsaver that AO sells the same time as the Gemini covers? That might be easiest.

Thinking about debadging the dual motor altogether. Would be easier to clean.

would like to see your results when done.

Can you use the black rimsaver that AO sells the same time as the Gemini covers? That might be easiest.

Thinking about debadging the dual motor altogether. Would be easier to clean.

would like to see your results when done.
According to AO, it doesn't work with model Y gemini. You can get a thin strip of vinyl for like $10ish bucks on Amazon vs their $119 option. I will post pictures with hyperdip, but someone did vinyl their wheels on this forum if you want to look.

Reactions: Pilot1226
According to AO, it doesn't work with model Y gemini. You can get a thin strip of vinyl for like $10ish bucks on Amazon vs their $119 option. I will post pictures with hyperdip, but someone did vinyl their wheels on this forum if you want to look.

Minor update: hyperdipped my emblems and in the process of completing the wheels. Will post when done, but here's some action shots. I really like the stuff. I could have done WAY better though.

Attachments

• received_339229924091332.jpeg
    received_339229924091332.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 488
  • 20200922_174358.jpg
    20200922_174358.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 417
White and Red: Tricoats are trickier to match in case you need to repaint a panel after an accident. I'm picky, so I'm avoiding these two.
Black: Shows every single scratch in the clear coat. Hard to maintain.

That's why I'm sticking to blue or midnight silver. Only two choices for me.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
While we’re wishing...Am very happy with blue, but I wish Tesla had a true pearl color instead of the metallic white. A good pearl color paint has a hint of gold that smooths out the color to my eyes and is as beautiful a paint as I’ve ever seen. About ten years ago, VW had a color they called White Gold that was very close to a perfect true pearl color and richness. Sigh...

Red July 2018 build. Still looks great. No ceramic or PPF. Keep it washed (me or the touchless place down the street) and waxed (the inexpensive, easy to use spray on/wipe off kind). Always parked in a garage when at home and under covered parking, if available, when travelling. Took a hit last year to the driver's door from road debris that exposed bare metal (doors are aluminium so not worried about rust). Used touch up paint from Tesla and it looks almost like new (only I really notice it).

IMHO the key is to limit sun exposure. Red cars I have owned in the past suffered significant damage from sun exposure, so I avoid it when practical. And if I lived in a place where the sun always shines and temps in the 90s or higher are common, I would probably avoid the red.
what spray on wax do you use?

what spray on wax do you use?

Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax (note that this is not the $3,000 professionally applied ceramic coating referred to in earlier posts), plus Adam's Detail Spray. I use the wax roughly once a month. I use the detail spray after each wash when I don't wax. I use very little detail spray-- it goes a long way. That's what works for me.

There are lots of other options out there and many of them probably work as well as mine if not better, but this is fast, it works and I am happy with the results. Experiment with different products and then stick with what works best for you. And park your car under cover when ever possible to protect it from the sun.

Last edited: