Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Pay charger do you prefer?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a Commercial Property Manager in South Florida in addition to owning a MX. I am looking to install some pay per charge stations at a few of the properties and would like to get some input.

Yes, we all prefer to either use a supercharging station and/or charge at home. When not available which do you prefer?

Feel free to fill out the survey and respond with comments for your reasons.

Charge point requires you to sign up in advance.
Charge point has an app for locating stations
Juice Station just needs a credit card.

Thank you and I appreciate your help.

juicestation.png
ChargePoint_CPF25_DualPed_CMK_Front.png

my first response is "free"
Being on a map is no big deal, since plugshare will list everything.
Make sur that you don't put the chargers right at the front door, others will tend to park in them. Also make sure to provide good signage to keep others from parking.
If you have to associate with a service, look at plugshare to determine most common in the area.

my vote is for charge point or any other free stations such as Volta, everything else i have seen just isnt worth it, like EVgo charges over 3x of what it would be if i had just charged at home and if you own a Tesla(200+ miles) its rare that you would run out of a charge and forced to charge at a higher rate

Depends on who is intended to use those stations. Chargepoint let's you pick whatever pricing you want. If you want to let the people use if free I would recommend Clipper Creek. They are the most reliable. Look into Green Lots. They might have somethng.

as others have said do not put the chargers near the entrance or where parking is most convenient. It causes other cars to park there.

Reactions: PJFW8
Looking to make the properties better by offering it so our tenants may get more business.
In that case, I'd recommend a "limited free" option. Sema Connect makes that fairly easy and is pretty common up here in Virginia. Their model is that you can set a certain amount of time where you get free charging, after that it charges you (a very high fee where I charge frequently). The idea is that you set the free period to allow people who are there to give you business a "perk", but not so long as to allow people to use it as their "home" charging station. Sema Connect has a nice app and is very easy to sign up for.

I'm sure that Charge Point and other have the same model available.

Otherwise, the "brand" really doesn't matter too much, most EV owners have accounts at most of the large providers.

If your locations are not near housing complexes, you might consider just going all-free.. that's the easiest and it also will attract the most attention to your location.

Whatever you do, make the charge rate reasonable. Don't limit it to ~20 amps or it really won't do anyone much good. 30 amps minimum, and the higher the charge rate, the more attractive it will be to seek out.

-Jim

Reactions: David99
Blink is notoriously unreliable. Chargepoint seems to have the major market share. At work we have a bunch of Semi Connect which work fine. The minor problem is that the input voltage at work is 208 V (3 phase) and usually is nominally 200 V and sags to 195 V or so under load, so even if I get 30A the charge rate is poor. As noted above, maximizing charge rate improves turnover at the chargers and makes for happier customers.

Chargepoint - seems most reliable. If it's not free, I'm not using it unless really desperate. Probably a good idea about free for (max shopping/dining interval) time then super expensive. More amps the better especially with commercial 3 phase power. Tesla will likely give you a free HPWC and put you on their map -- probably some Tesla only strings attached.

I tried Blink for the first time over the weekend on a road trip - very disappointing from both a charge rate and pricing perspective. Maxed out at 24A with sagging down around 200V, so something like 13mi of charge per hour of sitting there. Even with the 'member' pricing at $0.02 per 30 seconds (vs $0.03 per 30 seconds for 'guest' pricing), it was $2.98 for 1:14:23 time and less range than a gallon of gas. Of course, you have no idea how bad the charging rate is going to be until after you're paying per 30-second block, so you have no idea until you're charging that you're paying far too much. Very disappointing experience.

My advice to the original poster:
1. Charge rate will matter the most. If I'm charging so fast that it's incredibly convenient for me, then I would pay the most.
2. If you are offering some 'free for the first <x> minutes' plan, then I would definitely be more likely to eat a restaurant there, or visit that location of a store I'd already be shopping at. Where has chargers has already had that impact on my shopping. Not sure it would change what store chains I shop at, but it might.

In that case, I'd recommend a "limited free" option. Sema Connect makes that fairly easy and is pretty common up here in Virginia. Their model is that you can set a certain amount of time where you get free charging, after that it charges you (a very high fee where I charge frequently). The idea is that you set the free period to allow people who are there to give you business a "perk", but not so long as to allow people to use it as their "home" charging station. Sema Connect has a nice app and is very easy to sign up for.

If the charger design is like the SemaConnect charger I tried to use in Vermont a couple of years ago, it's a horrible design for anyone who _doesn't_ have an account.

Chargepoint - seems most reliable. If it's not free, I'm not using it unless really desperate. Probably a good idea about free for (max shopping/dining interval) time then super expensive. More amps the better especially with commercial 3 phase power. Tesla will likely give you a free HPWC and put you on their map -- probably some Tesla only strings attached.
While a great idea we have small strip centers so not an ideal location for super charging stations.

Thank you everyone for your input.

My first stop was Chargepoint and I have just toured 5 properties with their rep and an electrician they work with. They are currently working up proposals for each of the properties. They are providing me with quotes if I rent the charging station or buy them outright. I do not know which I prefer and want to weight the options and warranties.

Here are some of the things I am working on and have learned.

1. Location: One comment that was made was to locate the station further away from the building to avoid non EV parking. That was the first thing I mentioned while walking the property. They agreed that it is best but it will also triple the cost of the job. It requites more wiring and conduit, cutting and patching asphalt, pouring a foundation for the charger and installing bollards to protect the unit. I will be going this route on two of the buildings as there is no front of building parking. Also I will be installing in the center of 4 parking spots so if the initial two spots are taking, the other two can still access. Also looking at installing extra electrical to add another station as more vehicles get on the road.

2. One building (thankfully the smallest) does not have much electrical amperage available. Basically enough for one charger. The good thing is there is a single spot at the end of the building that is basically private and right off the street so will have high visibility.

3. Once I get the quotes I will weigh my options and pricing with other companies.

4. Pricing, I wish I could simply provide it for free but we would just need to slowly recoup the investment in the stations. In-other words, just looking to make cents over time vs. dollars. No I do not know the amounts yet. It does appear all charging stations are going the way of penalizing vehicles for being left past their charge time. (I went to lunch yesterday and parked at a supercharging station when there were 3 of 8 available, when I came back they were all full with three Teslas waiting). I would do the minimum they recommend initially.

5. Don't get Blink.

6. With regards to Chargepoint, I like the fact that all of our properties do not have any stations near by. When you look at the map, it is a few miles till the next station, even the Chargepoint rep commented on this fact. That could go one of two ways. There are not many EV drivers in the area and when they see the station they may start thinking of getting one there next car or I will just be filling the hole and hopefully my tenants will get more business.

7. Amps - I will make sure we provide enough for a good worth while charge. I do not believe in cheaping out when investing in items like this. Do it right, or just don't do it.

Still open to suggestions, thank you. Everyone has given great advice.