Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which portable fan(s) do you use in the trunk area, what is your setup & experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With warmer temperatures finally hitting the north east, my son has basically given up his "office" saying it's too hot in there. The sunshades and AC settings do nothing for him.

So I was researching and found O2Cool 10" fans as one good option but wondering if I need 2 and the one with the stands/legs or what.

Any other good options? Please tell me exactly where you placed them and how much does it help?

Thanks!

I use this one, you probably can get an equivalent, or the same. I routed a 12V extension from the front, under the carpet and toward the trunk where I added a cigarette usb adapter (dual output) so it can run the fan and a iPad charger at the same time.

With some work you can make it fit quite well in place. The fan has a ON/OFF on the back, so its easy to control by my son. Placed at that location, it sucks colder air from the second row and its pretty effective. It was used for a 3400mi road trip in Florida last summer.

USB Fan

12V Extension cord

USB Adapter

Untitled.png

Thanks. What is it tied to and is it easy to remove when not needed? Also can you fold the seats down without having to remove it? I like the placement of this because it's out of the way and like you said, pulls cool air from the cabin.

Thanks. What is it tied to and is it easy to remove when not needed? Also can you fold the seats down without having to remove it? I like the placement of this because it's out of the way and like you said, pulls cool air from the cabin.

I used a part that I found in my garage, soft kind of foam but still rigid enough to hold the fan in place (its tied with 2 tie-wrap that you can see in the photo), then the black foam part is squeezed with the seat when its latched. Since the fan weight close to nothing it holds well. It was just a quick 5min hack job, there are probably many more options possible, I just made it works... Right now, if you fold down the seat it fell off. You need to hold it right there when latching up the seat. I guess you get the idea. I can get more pics if needed.

Doesn't defrost automatically turn off every 10-15 mins?

It does, bit I don't think this is a reason not to do it. I mean the normal HVAC system is hopping on and off to maintain the set temp. I just want to be able to tap the button when the kids start to complain. No big deal if I have to press it 3-4 times on a trip. Certainly better than nothing and so much better than something running on batteries.